David L Kaplan
Affiliation: Tufts University
- Yavuz B, Zeki J, Coburn J, Ikegaki N, Levitin D, Kaplan D, et al. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of etoposide - silk wafers for neuroblastoma treatment. J Control Release. 2018;285:162-171 pubmed publisher..Histological examination revealed tumor cell necrosis adjacent to the drug-loaded silk wafer. ..
- Hopkins A, Wheeler B, Staii C, Kaplan D, Atherton T. Semi-automatic quantification of neurite fasciculation in high-density neurite images by the neurite directional distribution analysis (NDDA). J Neurosci Methods. 2014;228:100-9 pubmed publisher..The NDDA is a valuable addition to open source image processing tools available to biomedical researchers offering a robust, precise approach to quantification of imaged features important in tissue development, disease, and repair. ..
- Dixon T, Cohen E, Cairns D, Rodriguez M, Mathews J, Jose R, et al. BIOINSPIRED 3D HUMAN NEUROMUSCULAR JUNCTION DEVELOPMENT IN SUSPENDED HYDROGEL ARRAYS. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2018;: pubmed publisher..The coculture method will ideally be useful in observation and analysis of neurite outgrowth and myogenic differentiation in 3D with quantification of several parameters of muscle innervation and function. ..
- Tang Schomer M, White J, Tien L, Schmitt L, Valentin T, Graziano D, et al. Bioengineered functional brain-like cortical tissue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:13811-6 pubmed publisher..This modular 3D brain-like tissue is capable of real-time nondestructive assessments, offering previously unidentified directions for studies of brain homeostasis and injury. ..
- Bhattacharjee M, Coburn J, Centola M, Murab S, Barbero A, Kaplan D, et al. Tissue engineering strategies to study cartilage development, degeneration and regeneration. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2015;84:107-22 pubmed publisher..The generated knowledge is expected to inform new cartilage regeneration strategies, beyond a classical tissue engineering paradigm. ..
- Brown J, Lu C, Coburn J, Kaplan D. Impact of silk biomaterial structure on proteolysis. Acta Biomater. 2015;11:212-21 pubmed publisher..The link between primary sequence mapping with protease susceptibility provides insight into the role of secondary structure in impacting proteolytic access by comparing solution vs. solid state proteolytic susceptibility. ..
- Dinjaski N, Huang W, Kaplan D. Recursive Directional Ligation Approach for Cloning Recombinant Spider Silks. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1777:181-192 pubmed publisher..This approach is based on sequential ligation of genetic cassettes (monomers) where the junctions between them are formed without interrupting key gene sequences with additional base pairs. ..
- DesRochers T, Kimmerling E, Jandhyala D, El Jouni W, Zhou J, Thorpe C, et al. Effects of Shiga toxin type 2 on a bioengineered three-dimensional model of human renal tissue. Infect Immun. 2015;83:28-38 pubmed publisher..This study represents the first application of 3D tissues for the study of Stx-mediated kidney injury. ..
- Chung J, Krapp N, Wu L, Lule S, McAllister L, Edmiston Iii W, et al. Interleukin-1 receptor 1 deletion in focal and diffuse experimental traumatic brain injury in mice. J Neurotrauma. 2018;: pubmed publisher..IL-1R1 may induce unique biological responses, beneficial or detrimental to cognitive outcome, after TBI depending on the pathoanatomical subtype. Brain endothelium is a hitherto unrecognized source of mature IL-1? in both models. ..
- House M, Kelly J, Klebanov N, Yoshida K, Myers K, Kaplan D. Mechanical and biochemical effects of progesterone on engineered cervical tissue. Tissue Eng Part A. 2018;: pubmed publisher..In summary, progesterone increased the softness of the ECM, which was correlated with decreased collagen production and altered histology. These results are important for deciphering the role of progesterone in preventing preterm birth. ..
- Rnjak Kovacina J, DesRochers T, Burke K, Kaplan D. The effect of sterilization on silk fibroin biomaterial properties. Macromol Biosci. 2015;15:861-74 pubmed publisher..Exposure to ethylene oxide significantly decreased cell proliferation rate on silk fibroin sponges, which was rescued by leaching ethylene oxide into PBS prior to cell seeding. ..
- Reeves A, Spiller K, Freytes D, Vunjak Novakovic G, Kaplan D. Controlled release of cytokines using silk-biomaterials for macrophage polarization. Biomaterials. 2015;73:272-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, the strategy described here offers new approaches to utilizing biomaterials for directing the polarization of macrophages. ..
- White J, Wang S, Weiss A, Kaplan D. Silk-tropoelastin protein films for nerve guidance. Acta Biomater. 2015;14:1-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together, silk-tropoelastin films offer useful biomaterial interfacial platforms for nerve cell control, which can be considered for neurite guidance, disease models for neuropathies and surgical peripheral nerve repairs. ..
- Dinjaski N, Kaplan D. Recombinant protein blends: silk beyond natural design. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2016;39:1-7 pubmed publisher..We underline current limitations with production systems for these proteins and discuss the main trends in systems/synthetic biology that may improve recombinant fibrous protein design and production. ..
- Brown J, Partlow B, Berman A, House M, Kaplan D. Injectable silk-based biomaterials for cervical tissue augmentation: an in vitro study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016;214:118.e1-9 pubmed publisher..These biomaterials should be explored further as a possible alternative to cerclage for providing support to the cervix during pregnancy. ..
- Elia R, Michelson C, Perera A, Harsono M, Leisk G, Kugel G, et al. Silk electrogel coatings for titanium dental implants. J Biomater Appl. 2015;29:1247-55 pubmed publisher..07-4.83â€‰MPa). These novel silk-based techniques offer a unique approach to the deposition of safe, simple, mechanically robust, biocompatible, and degradable implant coatings. ..
- Zhou S, Huang W, Belton D, Simmons L, Perry C, Wang X, et al. Control of silicification by genetically engineered fusion proteins: silk-silica binding peptides. Acta Biomater. 2015;15:173-80 pubmed publisher..These findings offer a path forward in the tailoring of biopolymer-silica composites for biomaterial related needs. ..
- Lovett M, Wang X, Yucel T, York L, Keirstead M, Haggerty L, et al. Silk hydrogels for sustained ocular delivery of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (anti-VEGF) therapeutics. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2015;95:271-8 pubmed publisher..Due to its pharmacokinetic and biodegradation profiles, this delivery system may be used to reduce the frequency of dosing for patients currently enduring treatment using bevacizumab or other anti-VEGF therapeutics. ..
- Montalbán M, Coburn J, Lozano Pérez A, Cenis J, Víllora G, Kaplan D. Production of Curcumin-Loaded Silk Fibroin Nanoparticles for Cancer Therapy. Nanomaterials (Basel). 2018;8: pubmed publisher..In conclusion, curcumin-loaded silk fibroin nanoparticles constitute a biodegradable and biocompatible delivery system with the potential to treat tumors by local, long-term sustained drug delivery. ..
- Balduini A, Di Buduo C, Kaplan D. Translational approaches to functional platelet production ex vivo. Thromb Haemost. 2016;115:250-6 pubmed publisher..The overall goal is to identify innovative instruments to study mechanisms of platelet release, diseases related to platelet production and new therapeutic targets starting from human progenitor cells. ..
- Coburn J, Na E, Kaplan D. Modulation of vincristine and doxorubicin binding and release from silk films. J Control Release. 2015;220:229-238 pubmed publisher..These studies depict an approach to characterize small molecule-silk protein interactions and methods to tune drug binding and release kinetics from this protein delivery matrix. ..
- Rodríguez M, Dixon T, Cohen E, Huang W, Omenetto F, Kaplan D. 3D freeform printing of silk fibroin. Acta Biomater. 2018;71:379-387 pubmed publisher..This new method allows for in situ physical crosslinking of pure aqueous silk fibroin into defined geometries produced through freeform 3D printing. ..
- Domigan L, Andersson M, Alberti K, Chesler M, Xu Q, Johansson J, et al. Carbonic anhydrase generates a pH gradient in Bombyx mori silk glands. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;65:100-6 pubmed publisher..These new insights into native silk formation may lead to a more efficient production of artificial or regenerated silkworm silk fibers. ..
- Zhang W, Wray L, Rnjak Kovacina J, Xu L, Zou D, Wang S, et al. Vascularization of hollow channel-modified porous silk scaffolds with endothelial cells for tissue regeneration. Biomaterials. 2015;56:68-77 pubmed publisher..This tissue engineering strategy can promote the effective application of stem cell-based regeneration to improve future clinical applications. ..
- Hardy J, Geissler S, Aguilar D, Villancio Wolter M, Mouser D, Sukhavasi R, et al. Instructive Conductive 3D Silk Foam-Based Bone Tissue Scaffolds Enable Electrical Stimulation of Stem Cells for Enhanced Osteogenic Differentiation. Macromol Biosci. 2015;15:1490-6 pubmed publisher..Herein, we describe the preparation of conductive silk foam-based bone tissue scaffolds that enable the electrical stimulation of human mesenchymal stem cells (HMSCs) to enhance their differentiation toward osteogenic outcomes. ..
- Li G, Liu J, Zheng Z, Wang X, Kaplan D. Structural Mimetic Silk Fiber-Reinforced Composite Scaffolds Using Multi-Angle Fibers. Macromol Biosci. 2015;15:1125-33 pubmed publisher..These new scaffolds have potential applications in tissue repairs where superior mechanical strength and cell compatibility are important. ..
- Thurber A, Omenetto F, Kaplan D. In vivo bioresponses to silk proteins. Biomaterials. 2015;71:145-157 pubmed publisher..Overall, the diverse array of silk materials shows excellent bioresponses inÂ vivo with low immunogenicity and the ability to be remodeled and replaced by native tissue making it suitable for numerous clinical applications. ..
- Abbott R, Kaplan D. Strategies for improving the physiological relevance of human engineered tissues. Trends Biotechnol. 2015;33:401-7 pubmed publisher..However, short-term cultures limit insight with physiological relevance because the cells and tissues have not reached a steady-state. ..
- Li A, Kluge J, Guziewicz N, Omenetto F, Kaplan D. Silk-based stabilization of biomacromolecules. J Control Release. 2015;219:416-430 pubmed publisher..The mechanistic basis for the entrapment and stabilization features, along with insights into the modulation of release of the entrained compounds from silks will be reviewed with a focus on stabilization of bioactive molecules. ..
- Seib F, Berry J, Shiozawa Y, Taichman R, Kaplan D. Tissue engineering a surrogate niche for metastatic cancer cells. Biomaterials. 2015;51:313-319 pubmed publisher..In summary, we were able to use tissue-engineered bone marrow to serve as a target or "trap" for metastasizing cancer cells. ..
- Hardy J, Ghezzi C, Saballos R, Kaplan D, Schmidt C. Supracolloidal Assemblies as Sacrificial Templates for Porous Silk-Based Biomaterials. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:20511-22 pubmed publisher..This methodology has potential for application in a variety of different tissue engineering niches in which cell alignment is observed, including skin, bone, muscle and nerve. ..
- Hopkins A, DeSimone E, Chwalek K, Kaplan D. 3D in vitro modeling of the central nervous system. Prog Neurobiol. 2015;125:1-25 pubmed publisher..The unique design parameters defined by the complex physiology of the CNS for construction and validation of 3D in vitro neural systems are reviewed here. ..
- Abbott R, Borowsky F, Quinn K, Bernstein D, Georgakoudi I, Kaplan D. Non-invasive Assessments of Adipose Tissue Metabolism In Vitro. Ann Biomed Eng. 2016;44:725-32 pubmed publisher..Current non-invasive methods, such as measuring key metabolic markers and endogenous contrast imaging will be explored. ..
- Yang L, Zheng Z, Qian C, Wu J, Liu Y, Guo S, et al. Curcumin-functionalized silk biomaterials for anti-aging utility. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2017;496:66-77 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that cell aging was retarded in all FC, silk/cur NP and silk/cur film samples, with the silk-associated curcumin superior to the FC. ..
- Raia N, Partlow B, McGill M, Kimmerling E, Ghezzi C, Kaplan D. Enzymatically crosslinked silk-hyaluronic acid hydrogels. Biomaterials. 2017;131:58-67 pubmed publisher..These hydrogel composites provide a biologically relevant system with controllable temporal stiffening and elasticity, thus offering enhanced tunable scaffolds for short or long term applications in tissue engineering. ..
- Sundarakrishnan A, Herrero Acero E, Coburn J, Chwalek K, Partlow B, Kaplan D. Phenol red-silk tyrosine cross-linked hydrogels. Acta Biomater. 2016;42:102-113 pubmed publisher..The novelty of the current system stems from its simplicity and the use of silk protein to create a cytocompatible, degradable sensor capable of real-time pH sensing in cell culture microenvironments. ..
- Sundarakrishnan A, Chen Y, Black L, Aldridge B, Kaplan D. Engineered cell and tissue models of pulmonary fibrosis. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2018;129:78-94 pubmed publisher..In the current review, we contrast different in vitro models based on increasing dimensionality (2D, 2.5D and 3D), with added focus on contemporary 3D pulmonary models of fibrosis. ..
- Kluge J, Li A, Kahn B, Michaud D, Omenetto F, Kaplan D. Silk-based blood stabilization for diagnostics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:5892-7 pubmed publisher..This approach can provide expanded utility for remote collection of blood and other biospecimens empowering new modalities of temperature-independent remote diagnostics. ..
- Ling S, Li C, Jin K, Kaplan D, Buehler M. Liquid Exfoliated Natural Silk Nanofibrils: Applications in Optical and Electrical Devices. Adv Mater. 2016;28:7783-90 pubmed publisher..The resulting silk nanofibrils, which retain structural features and physical properties of native silk fibers, show potential utility in optical and electronic devices. ..
- Milan P, Lotfibakhshaiesh N, Joghataie M, Ai J, Pazouki A, Kaplan D, et al. Accelerated wound healing in a diabetic rat model using decellularized dermal matrix and human umbilical cord perivascular cells. Acta Biomater. 2016;45:234-246 pubmed publisher..This pre-clinical study demonstrates the proof-of-concept that necessitates clinical evaluations. ..
- Meirovitch S, Shtein Z, Ben Shalom T, Lapidot S, Tamburu C, Hu X, et al. Spider Silk-CBD-Cellulose Nanocrystal Composites: Mechanism of Assembly. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..We suggest a model for silk-CBD assembly that implicates CBD in the central role of driving the dimerization of spider silk monomers, a process essential to the molecular assembly of spider-silk nanofibers and silk-CNC composites. ..
- Yigit S, Dinjaski N, Kaplan D. Fibrous proteins: At the crossroads of genetic engineering and biotechnological applications. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2016;113:913-29 pubmed publisher..We highlight the potential of functionalization through genetic engineering to design fibrous protein systems for biotechnological and biomedical applications. ..
- Zhao S, Chen Y, Partlow B, Golding A, Tseng P, Coburn J, et al. Bio-functionalized silk hydrogel microfluidic systems. Biomaterials. 2016;93:60-70 pubmed publisher..These silk hydrogel-based microfluidic systems offer new opportunities in engineering active diagnostic devices, tissues and organs that could be integrated in vivo, and for on-chip cell sensing systems. ..
- Cairns D, Chwalek K, Moore Y, Kelley M, Abbott R, Moss S, et al. Expandable and Rapidly Differentiating Human Induced Neural Stem Cell Lines for Multiple Tissue Engineering Applications. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;7:557-570 pubmed publisher..This method provides a valuable interdisciplinary tool that could be used to develop drug screening applications as well as patient-specific disease models related to disorders of innervation and the brain. ..
- Ling S, Qin Z, Li C, Huang W, Kaplan D, Buehler M. Polymorphic regenerated silk fibers assembled through bioinspired spinning. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1387 pubmed publisher..It can further be functionalized with a conductive silk/carbon nanotube coating, responsive to changes in humidity and temperature. ..
- Wang R, Abbott R, Zieba A, Borowsky F, Kaplan D. Development of a Three-Dimensional Adipose Tissue Model for Studying Embryonic Exposures to Obesogenic Chemicals. Ann Biomed Eng. 2017;45:1807-1818 pubmed publisher..This tissue system could be used to determine mechanisms of action of current obesogens and to screen other potential obesogens. ..
- Dinjaski N, Plowright R, Zhou S, Belton D, Perry C, Kaplan D. Osteoinductive recombinant silk fusion proteins for bone regeneration. Acta Biomater. 2017;49:127-139 pubmed publisher..As such, it helps the design of osteoinductive recombinant biomaterials for bone regeneration. ..
- Rodríguez M, Brown J, Giordano J, Lin S, Omenetto F, Kaplan D. Silk based bioinks for soft tissue reconstruction using 3-dimensional (3D) printing with in vitro and in vivo assessments. Biomaterials. 2017;117:105-115 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated in vivo that the material was biocompatible and could be tuned to maintain shape and volume up to three months while promoting cellular infiltration and tissue integration. ..
- Grasman J, Kaplan D. Human endothelial cells secrete neurotropic factors to direct axonal growth of peripheral nerves. Sci Rep. 2017;7:4092 pubmed publisher..These data show that HUVECs secrete neurotrophic factors that significantly enhance axonal growth, and can inform future in vivo studies to direct or pattern the angiogenic response in regenerating tissues to encourage re-innervation. ..
- Zhu J, Huang W, Zhang Q, Ling S, Chen Y, Kaplan D. Aqueous-Based Coaxial Electrospinning of Genetically Engineered Silk Elastin Core-Shell Nanofibers. Materials (Basel). 2016;9: pubmed publisher..22%. The SF-SELP core-shell structured nanofibers should provide useful options to explore in the field of biomaterials due to the improved flexibility of the fibrous mats and the presence of a dynamic SELP layer on the outer surface. ..
- Guo J, Li C, Ling S, Huang W, Chen Y, Kaplan D. Multiscale design and synthesis of biomimetic gradient protein/biosilica composites for interfacial tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2017;145:44-55 pubmed publisher..The cells differentiated along the composites in a manner consistent with the R5-gradient profile. This novel biomimetic gradient biomaterial design offers a useful approach to meet a broad range of needs in regenerative medicine. ..