Patricia L Hibberd
Affiliation: Tufts-New England Medical Center
- Monitoring participant safety in phase I and II interventional trials: options and controversiesPatricia L Hibberd
Division of Clinical Research Resources, Tufts New England Medical Center 35 Kneeland Street, Box 063, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Investig Med 52:446-52. 2004..However, there is little guidance about when and how to constitute a DSMB for phase I and II clinical trials...
- Challenges in the design of antibiotic equivalency studies: the multicenter equivalency study of oral amoxicillin versus injectable penicillin in children aged 3-59 months with severe pneumoniaPatricia L Hibberd
Clinical Research Institute and Health Policy Studies, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:526-31. 2004..These considerations have implications for use of the Amoxicillin Penicillin Pneumonia International Study (APPIS) results in clinical practice and for potential modification of WHO treatment guidelines...
- Tai Chi is effective in treating knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trialChenchen Wang
Division of Rheumatology, Tufts Medical Center, Box 406, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arthritis Rheum 61:1545-53. 2009..To evaluate the effectiveness of Tai Chi in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis (OA) symptoms...
- Systemic antibody responses to the immunodominant p23 antigen and p23 polymorphisms in children with cryptosporidiosis in BangladeshAnoli J Borad
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Disease, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:214-22. 2012..Although most children were infected with Cryptosporidium hominis, there was a cross-reactive antibody response to C. parvum antigen. These results support further development of p23 as a vaccine candidate...
- Illness transmission in the home: a possible role for alcohol-based hand gelsGrace M Lee
Center for Child Health Care Studies, Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Pediatrics 115:852-60. 2005..We also sought to examine potential predictors of reduced illness transmission in the home in a secondary analysis...
- Preliminary assessment of inhaled nitric oxide for acute vaso-occlusive crisis in pediatric patients with sickle cell diseaseDebra L Weiner
Pediatric Emergency, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 289:1136-42. 2003..Nitric oxide may have promise as a mechanism-of-disease-based therapy for treatment of vaso-occlusion...
- Hepatic steatosis is associated with fibrosis, nucleoside analogue use, and hepatitis C virus genotype 3 infection in HIV-seropositive patientsBarbara H McGovern
HIV HCV Co infection Clinic, Lemuel Shattuck Hospital, Jamaica Plain, Jamaica Plain, MA 02494, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:365-72. 2006....
- Misconceptions about colds and predictors of health service utilizationGrace M Lee
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Pediatrics 111:231-6. 2003..The objective of this study was to determine predictors of reported ED use and ambulatory care use for colds among families with young children...
- Tai Chi for treating knee osteoarthritis: designing a long-term follow up randomized controlled trialChenchen Wang
Division of Rheumatology, Tufts Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:108. 2008..The study will be completed by July 2009...
- Antibody responses to the immunodominant Cryptosporidium gp15 antigen and gp15 polymorphisms in a case-control study of cryptosporidiosis in children in BangladeshGenève M Allison
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts Medical Center and Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:97-104. 2011..These findings support further investigation of gp15 as a vaccine candidate...
- Open-label, dose escalation phase I study in healthy volunteers to evaluate the safety and pharmacokinetics of a human monoclonal antibody to Clostridium difficile toxin AClaribel P Taylor
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Vaccine 26:3404-9. 2008..difficile toxin A are protective against symptomatic disease and recurrence. We examined the safety and pharmacokinetics (pk) of a novel neutralizing human monoclonal antibody against C. difficile toxin A (CDA1) in healthy adults...
- Stress management versus lifestyle modification on systolic hypertension and medication elimination: a randomized trialJeffery A Dusek
Benson Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:129-38. 2008..2-15.9, p=0.03). Although both groups had similar reductions in SBP, significantly more participants in the relaxation response group eliminated an antihypertensive medication while maintaining adequate blood pressure control...
- Probiotic foods and drugs: impact of US regulatory status on design of clinical trialsPatricia L Hibberd
Department of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts New England Medical Center, and 2Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S137-40; discussion S144-51. 2008....
- The effect of a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor (celecoxib) on chronic periodontitisC Alec Yen
Department of Oral Medicine, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Periodontol 79:104-13. 2008..In this double-masked, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial, the efficacy of celecoxib (COX-2 inhibitor) was evaluated in conjunction with scaling and root planing (SRP) in subjects with chronic periodontitis (CP)...
- Probiotics for prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrheaShira Idit Doron
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:S58-63. 2008..Probiotics are generally safe, however, they should be used with caution in patients who have compromise of either the immune system or the integrity of the intestinal mucosa, and in the presence of a central venous catheter...
- Computerized recruiting for clinical trials in real timeDebra L Weiner
Division of Emergency Medicine, the Children s Hospital Informatics Program, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 41:242-6. 2003..We hypothesize that the automated notification system improves the rate of investigator notification...
- Clinical trial design--effect of prone positioning on clinical outcomes in infants and children with acute respiratory distress syndromeMartha A Q Curley
Critical Care and Cardiovascular Nursing, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Crit Care 21:23-32; discussion 32-7. 2006..It is not known if these improvements in oxygenation result in improvements in clinical outcomes. A clinical trial was needed to answer this question...
- Resource utilization among patients with sepsis syndromeDavid W Bates
Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:62-70. 2003..Additional investigation is required to determine how much of the excess post-onset LOS and charges are attributable to sepsis syndrome rather than the underlying medical conditions...
- Relationship of pulmonary artery catheter use to mortality and resource utilization in patients with severe sepsisD Tony Yu
Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 31:2734-41. 2003....
- Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: a multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayerHerbert Benson
Mind Body Medical Institute, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am Heart J 151:934-42. 2006..We evaluated whether (1) receiving intercessory prayer or (2) being certain of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with uncomplicated recovery after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery...
- A randomized, double-blind trial of Lactobacillus GG versus placebo in addition to standard maintenance therapy for children with Crohn's diseaseAthos Bousvaros
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:833-9. 2005..18). The LGG was well tolerated, with a side effect profile comparable with placebo. This study suggests that LGG does not prolong time to relapse in children with CD when given as an adjunct to standard therapy...
- Association between oxygen consumption and nitric oxide production during the relaxation responseJeffery A Dusek
Mind Body Medical Institute, 824 Boylston Street, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
Med Sci Monit 12:CR1-10. 2006..We evaluated whether depth of RR elicitation was correlated with changes in NO, as measured by percentage changes in fractional exhaled nitric oxide (F(E)NO)...
- Healing prayer outcomes studies: consensus recommendationsJeffery A Dusek
Mind/Body Medical Institute, Chestnut Hill, Mass, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 9:A44-53. 2003
- Executive summary: scientific and regulatory challenges of development of probiotics as foods and drugsFreddie Ann Hoffman
HeteroGeneity, Washington, DC 20011, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S53-7. 2008
- Cryptosporidiosis among Bangladeshi children with diarrhea: a prospective, matched, case-control study of clinical features, epidemiology and systemic antibody responsesWasif A Khan
Clinical Sciences Division, Centre for Health and Population Research, International Center for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:412-9. 2004..However, there was a significant difference between children with acute and persistent diarrhea in changes in both IgA and IgM levels, with persistent diarrhea being associated with a decrease in levels of both antibodies...