Michael R Sperling
Affiliation: Thomas Jefferson University
- Asadi Pooya A, Asadollahi M, Bujarski K, Rabiei A, Aminian N, Wyeth D, et al. Ictal verbal help-seeking: Occurrence and the underlying etiology. Epilepsy Behav. 2016;64:15-17 pubmed publisher..Ictal verbal help-seeking is a rare finding among patients evaluated in epilepsy monitoring units. Ictal verbal help-seeking may suggest that seizures arise in or propagate to the right temporal lobe. ..
- Asadi Pooya A, Wyeth D, Nei M, Sharan A, Sperling M. Postsurgical outcome in patients with auditory auras and drug-resistant epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2017;66:49-52 pubmed publisher..The presence of an auditory aura in a patient with drug-resistant TLE carries a worse prognosis for a postoperative seizure free outcome and this is not related to the side of surgery. ..
- Asadi Pooya A, Nei M, Centurion E, Lorenzo M, Sperling M. Postsurgical outcome in patients with olfactory auras and drug-resistant epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2017;68:8-10 pubmed publisher..A multicenter approach, which can enroll more patients, is needed to devise better therapies for patients with drug-resistant epilepsy and this symptom. ..
- ..Epileptic ictal crying is often a rare type of partial seizure in patients with focal epilepsy. Dacrystic seizures do not provide clinical value in predicting localization of the epileptogenic zone. ..
- Asadi Pooya A, Asadollahi M, Sperling M. Ictal pain: occurrence, clinical features, and underlying etiologies. Epilepsy Behav. 2016;61:59-62 pubmed publisher..Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures are the most common cause, but ictal pain is not specific for this diagnosis. Location of the ictal pain in a limb may help differentiate an epileptic cause from others. ..
- Kang J, Sperling M. Epileptologist's view: Laser interstitial thermal ablation for treatment of temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Res. 2018;142:149-152 pubmed publisher..More research must be done to establish optimal targeting of structures for ablation and selection of candidates for surgery, and more patients must be studied to better establish efficacy and adverse effect rates. ..
- CarreÃ±o M, Bien C, Asadi Pooya A, Sperling M, Marusic P, Elisak M, et al. Epilepsy surgery in drug resistant temporal lobe epilepsy associated with neuronal antibodies. Epilepsy Res. 2017;129:101-105 pubmed publisher..Outcome seems to be worse than that expected in other etiologies, even in the presence of unilateral HS. Intracranial EEG may be required in some patients. ..