Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Mendoza PÃ©rez J, Gu J, Herrera L, Tannir N, Matin S, Karam J, et al. Genomic DNA Hypomethylation and Risk of Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Case-Control Study. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:2074-82 pubmed publisher..To establish global DNA hypomethylation as a risk factor for RCC, future prospective studies are warranted. This study may provide further understanding of the etiology of RCC tumorigenesis. ..
- Deng Y, Tu H, Pierzynski J, Miller E, Gu X, Huang M, et al. Determinants and prognostic value of quality of life in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Eur J Cancer. 2018;92:20-32 pubmed publisher..QOL after diagnosis is a significant prognostic indicator for patients with PDAC. Multiple factors determine QOL, suggesting possible means of intervention to improve QOL and outcomes of PDAC patients. ..
- Liu X, Meng Q, Ye Y, Hildebrandt M, Gu J, Wu X. Prognostic significance of pretreatment serum levels of albumin, LDH and total bilirubin in patients with non-metastatic breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2015;36:243-8 pubmed publisher..Our result highlighted the potential of using pretreatment serum levels of albumin, LDH and total bilirubin as prognostic factors for OS in patients with non-metastatic breast cancer. ..
- Wu X, Hildebrandt M, Chang D. Genome-wide association studies of bladder cancer risk: a field synopsis of progress and potential applications. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2009;28:269-80 pubmed publisher..The ultimate goal is the development of a comprehensive risk prediction model which integrates genetic, environment, and person risk factors to benefit disease diagnosis, prevention, and treatment. ..
- Zhao L, Pu X, Ye Y, Lu C, Chang J, Wu X. Association between Genetic Variants in DNA Double-Strand Break Repair Pathways and Risk of Radiation Therapy-Induced Pneumonitis and Esophagitis in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Cancers (Basel). 2016;8: pubmed publisher..Our results support the notion that genetic variations within DSB repair pathway could influence the risk of developing toxicities following definitive RT in NSCLC. ..
- Melkonian S, Daniel C, Ye Y, Pierzynski J, Roth J, Wu X. Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, and Lung Cancer Risk in Non-Hispanic Whites. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:532-9 pubmed publisher..Understanding the role of GI in lung cancer could inform prevention strategies and elucidate biologic pathways related to lung cancer risk. ..
- Zanetti K, Wang Z, ALDRICH M, Amos C, Blot W, Bowman E, et al. Genome-wide association study confirms lung cancer susceptibility loci on chromosomes 5p15 and 15q25 in an African-American population. Lung Cancer. 2016;98:33-42 pubmed publisher..1 and 5p15.33 respectively, are associated with lung cancer. Additional work is required to map and understand the biological underpinnings of the strong association of these loci with lung cancer risk in African Americans. ..
- Shu X, Purdue M, Ye Y, Tu H, Wood C, Tannir N, et al. Potential Susceptibility Loci Identified for Renal Cell Carcinoma by Targeting Obesity-Related Genes. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2017;26:1436-1442 pubmed publisher..b>Impact: The five identified loci may provide new insights into disease etiology that reveal importance of obesity-related genes in RCC development. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 26(9); 1436-42. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Tu H, Wen C, Tsai S, Chow W, Wen C, Ye Y, et al. Cancer risk associated with chronic diseases and disease markers: prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2018;360:k134 pubmed publisher..Physical activity is associated with a nearly 40% reduction in the cancer risk associated with chronic diseases. ..
- Cassidy A, Wang W, Wu X, Lin J. Risk of urinary bladder cancer: a case-control analysis of industry and occupation. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:443 pubmed publisher..Workers in several occupation and industry groups have a significantly higher risk of UBC, particularly when duration of employment is 10 years or more. ..
- Wu X, Gu J, Wu T, Swisher S, Liao Z, Correa A, et al. Genetic variations in radiation and chemotherapy drug action pathways predict clinical outcomes in esophageal cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3789-98 pubmed..Understanding how specific genetic variants modify drug action pathways may provide informative blueprints for individualized chemotherapy...
- Wu X, Lu C, Ye Y, Chang J, Yang H, Lin J, et al. Germline genetic variations in drug action pathways predict clinical outcomes in advanced lung cancer treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2008;18:955-65 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the clinical potential of taking a pathway-based approach and using survival tree analytic approach to identify subgroups of patients with distinctly differing outcomes. ..
- Shen J, Ye Y, Chang D, Huang M, Heymach J, Roth J, et al. Circulating metabolite profiles to predict overall survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients receiving first-line chemotherapy. Lung Cancer. 2017;114:70-78 pubmed publisher..The identified small metabolites may be useful biomarker candidates to help identify patients who may benefit from platinum-based chemotherapy. ..
- Zhao L, Chang D, Gong Y, Eng C, Wu X. Measurement of DNA damage in peripheral blood by the ?-H2AX assay as predictor of colorectal cancer risk. DNA Repair (Amst). 2017;53:24-30 pubmed publisher..Future prospective studies are necessary to confirm our findings in independent populations. ..
- Wu X, Ye Y, Rosell R, Amos C, Stewart D, Hildebrandt M, et al. Genome-wide association study of survival in non-small cell lung cancer patients receiving platinum-based chemotherapy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:817-25 pubmed publisher..96, 95% CI = 0.69 to 1.35). These results have the potential to contribute to the future development of personalized chemotherapy treatments for individual NSCLC patients. ..
- Wu X, Gu J, Grossman H, Amos C, Etzel C, Huang M, et al. Bladder cancer predisposition: a multigenic approach to DNA-repair and cell-cycle-control genes. Am J Hum Genet. 2006;78:464-79 pubmed
- Ke H, Lin J, Ye Y, Wu W, Lin H, Wei H, et al. Genetic Variations in Glutathione Pathway Genes Predict Cancer Recurrence in Patients Treated with Transurethral Resection and Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Instillation for Non-muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:4104-10 pubmed publisher..Within treatment group, stratified analyses by tumor grade also indicated predictive variants. Genetic variants in GSH pathway may influence cancer recurrence in NMIBC patients receiving curative treatment. ..
- Wu X, Scelo G, Purdue M, Rothman N, Johansson M, Ye Y, et al. A genome-wide association study identifies a novel susceptibility locus for renal cell carcinoma on 12p11.23. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:456-62 pubmed publisher..18 (95% CI: 1.12-1.25) for rs1049380. It has been recently identified that rs718314 in ITPR2 is associated with waist-hip ratio (WHR) phenotype. To our knowledge, this is the first genetic locus associated with both cancer risk and WHR. ..