Thomas E Williams
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Population analysis predicts a future critical shortage of general surgeonsThomas E Williams
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Surgery 144:548-54; discussion 554-6. 2008..Based on a population analysis, we predict there will be a shortage of general surgeons in the United States by 2010...
- The impending shortage and the estimated cost of training the future surgical workforceThomas E Williams
Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Ann Surg 250:590-7. 2009..To estimate the workforce needed by 2030 in 7 surgical specialties to serve a population of 364 million people and to quantify the cost associated with training additional surgeons...
- A formidable task: Population analysis predicts a deficit of 2000 cardiothoracic surgeons by 2030Thomas E Williams
Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University School of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:835-40; discussion 840-1. 2010..The US Department of Health and Human Services predicts only 3620 full-time cardiothoracic surgeons in 2020. Will we have enough cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons?..
- A comparison of future recruitment needs in urban and rural hospitals: the rural imperativeThomas E Williams
Department of Surgery, Ohio State University Hospital, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Surgery 150:617-25. 2011..The aim of this study is to estimate the average recruitment needs in our nation's hospitals for 7 surgical specialties to ensure adequate access to surgical care as the U.S. population grows to 364 million by 2030...
- Predicted shortage of vascular surgeons in the United States: population and workload analysisBhagwan Satiani
Division of Vascular Diseases and Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center and The Ohio State University Heart and Vascular Center, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Vasc Surg 50:946-52. 2009..To estimate the size of the future workforce in vascular surgery (VS) and the added cost associated with addressing the projected shortage in the United States...
- The impact of employment of part-time surgeons on the expected surgeon shortageBhagwan Satiani
Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH, USA
J Am Coll Surg 213:345-51. 2011..We hypothesize that strategies to employ PT surgeons and prolong the duration of practice might reduce the surgeon shortage considerably. We calculated the effects of PT employment on the surgical workforce...
- A review of trends in attrition rates for surgical faculty: a case for a sustainable retention strategy to cope with demographic and economic realitiesBhagwan Satiani
Department of Surgery, The Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University Hospital, Columbus, OH Electronic address
J Am Coll Surg 216:944-53. 2013..Our aim was to compare trends in retention of academic surgeons by reviewing surgical faculty attrition rates (leaving academic surgery for any reason) of 3 cohorts at 5-year intervals between 1996 and 2011...
- Fill in the blanks. 8 steps to make your practice competitive in the physician hiring gameBhagwan Satiani
Division of Vascular Diseases and Surgery, Ohio State University School of Medicine, Columbus, USA
MGMA Connex 9:36-40. 2009..But forewarned is forearmed: Use these tips to put your practice in the best possible position to attract new hires...