Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: The Methodist Hospital
- Increased body mass index but not common vitamin D receptor, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ, or cytokine polymorphisms confers predisposition to posttransplant diabetesPing Wang
Department of Pathology, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 135:1581-4. 2011..However, it is not clear what genetic factors modify the risk. Evidence suggests vitamin D deficiency, perturbed glucose homeostasis, and increased inflammation all play roles in the development of diabetes...
- Statin dose in Asians: is pharmacogenetics relevant?Ping Wang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Methodist Hospital and The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pharmacogenomics 12:1605-15. 2011..There is a clinical need to critically and comprehensively article the literature to answer these questions, and summarize future directions of research in the field. This article serves the above purpose...
- Using genetic and clinical factors to predict tacrolimus dose in renal transplant recipientsPing Wang
Department of Pathology, The Methodist Hospital, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Houston, TX, USA
Pharmacogenomics 11:1389-402. 2010....
- In utero drugs of abuse exposure testing for newborn twinsPing Wang
Department of Pathology, The Methodist Hospital System, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Pathol 63:259-61. 2010..If screening results are inconsistent with each other or with the clinical scenario, confirmation testing using more sensitive and specific methods with lower cut-offs is warranted...
- A hydrophilic-interaction chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for quantitation of serum s-adenosylmethionine in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virusPing Wang
Department of Lab Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, United States
Clin Chim Acta 396:86-8. 2008..In this study, we report a robust hydrophilic-interaction liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) assay that can be used to quantitate serum SAM in clinical laboratories...
- Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in interferon signaling pathway genes and interferon-stimulated genes with the response to interferon therapy for chronic hepatitis CXiaowen Su
Medical Genetics Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Hepatol 49:184-91. 2008..We studied single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in IPGs and ISGs for their associations with response to pegylated interferon alpha-2a (Peg-IFN-alpha) plus ribavirin therapy in HCV genotype-1 infected patients...
- Dosing algorithm for warfarin using CYP2C9 and VKORC1 genotyping from a multi-ethnic population: comparison with other equationsAlan H B Wu
University of California, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Pharmacogenomics 9:169-78. 2008..We developed and validated a warfarin-dosing algorithm for a multi-ethnic population that predicts the best dose for stable anticoagulation, and compared its performance against other regression equations...
- Fibrosis progression in African Americans and Caucasian Americans with chronic hepatitis CNorah A Terrault
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0538, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:1403-11. 2008..Prior studies suggest the rate of liver fibrosis progression is slower in African Americans (AAs) than Caucasian Americans (CAs) with chronic HCV infection...
- Relationship between obesity and diabetes in a US adult population: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2006Ninh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, 333 City Bldg West, Suite 850, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Obes Surg 21:351-5. 2011..The aim of this study was to examine the prevalence of diabetes with increasing severity of obesity and the distribution of HbA1c levels in diabetics participating in the latest National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)...
- Predicting enzyme targets for cancer drugs by profiling human metabolic reactions in NCI-60 cell linesLimin Li
Center for Biotechnology and Informatics, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute and Department of Radiology, The Methodist Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College, Houston, TX 77030, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 11:501. 2010..Drugs can influence the whole metabolic system by targeting enzymes which catalyze metabolic reactions. The existence of interactions between drugs and metabolic reactions suggests a potential way to discover drug targets...
- A potent, water-soluble and photoinducible DNA cross-linking agentPing Wang
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Hubei Wuhan 430072, P R of China
J Am Chem Soc 125:1116-7. 2003..0. Density functional theory (DFT) calculation indicated that 6 displays a twist structure. Therefore, it could bind to DNA naturally and has potent property to cross-link DNA after photoactivation...
- Population-specific alleles: the polymorphism (K121Q) of the human glycoprotein PC-1 gene is strongly associated with race but not with insulin resistance in black and white childrenJohn A Morrison
Division of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Metabolism 53:465-8. 2004..However, the QQ genotype was population-specific, encompassing most black children versus 1% to 3% of white children. As such, K121Q genotyping should be useful in epidemiology, population genetics, and forensic anthropology...
- Polymer-enzyme conjugates can self-assemble at oil/water interfaces and effect interfacial biotransformationsGuangyu Zhu
Department of Chemical Engineering, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio 44325 3906, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:11132-3. 2004..It is believed that the improved accessibility of the biocatalysts to chemicals held in both phases across the interface is the key driver for the enhancement of enzyme activity...
- [Soil moisture and interspecific relationships between grass and legume on mixed grassland: a research review]Ping Wang
Key Laboratory of Vegetation Ecology of Education Ministry, Institute of Grassland Science, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 18:653-8. 2007....
- Mechanisms responsible for vascular hyporesponsiveness to adrenomedullin after hemorrhage: the central role of adrenomedullin binding protein-1Rongqian Wu
Department of Surgery, North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Manhasset, NY, USA
Ann Surg 242:115-23. 2005..Our aim was to determine whether vascular responsiveness to AM is reduced after hemorrhage and, if so, to elucidate the possible mechanism responsible for such hyporesponsiveness...
- Self-assembling of polymer-enzyme conjugates at oil/water interfacesLifang Wang
Department of Chemical Engineering, The University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325 3906, USA
Biotechnol Prog 21:1321-8. 2005..It was found that the polar solvent slightly facilitated the assembling, whereas pH and ionic strength showed minimal effects...
- Screening and analysis of the multiple absorbed bioactive components and metabolites of Dangguibuxue decoction by the metabolic fingerprinting technique and liquid chromatography/diode-array detection mass spectrometryPing Wang
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Research Center of Modernization of Chinese Medicines, Central South University, Changsha 410083, P R China
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21:99-106. 2007..This is very important not only for the pharmaceutical discovery process and the quality control of crude drugs, but also to explain the curative mechanism of TCMs...
- An organic soluble lipase for water-free synthesis of biodieselXueyan Zhao
Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering, Biotechnology Institute, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 143:236-43. 2007..This provides a promising one-pot mix-and-use strategy for biodiesel production...
- Adsorption isotherms and dissipation of adsorbed poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) in its swelling and collapsed statesKun Wu
Department of Modern Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230027, China
J Phys Chem B 111:8723-7. 2007..The difference in the adsorption behavior below and above the LCST can be qualitatively explained in terms of the conformation difference of the polymer in its swelling and collapsed states...
- Enzyme-carrying polymeric nanofibers prepared via electrospinning for use as unique biocatalystsHongfei Jia
Department of Chemical Engineering, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio 44325 3906, USA
Biotechnol Prog 18:1027-32. 2002..It appeared that the covalent binding also improved the enzyme's stability against structural denaturation, such that the half-life of the nanofibrous enzyme in methanol was 18-fold longer than that of the native enzyme...