Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Sever M, Kantarjian H, Pierce S, Jain N, Estrov Z, Cortes J, et al. Cytogenetic abnormalities in essential thrombocythemia at presentation and transformation. Int J Hematol. 2009;90:522-525 pubmed publisher..Both acquired complex cytogenetic changes at the time of transformation. There is no rationale for repeating cytogenetic tests in ET patients on follow up, unless blood cell count changes suggest possible transformation. ..
- Nussenzveig R, Cortes J, Sever M, Quintas Cardama A, Ault P, Manshouri T, et al. Imatinib mesylate therapy for polycythemia vera: final result of a phase II study initiated in 2001. Int J Hematol. 2009;90:58-63 pubmed publisher..46). Therapy with imatinib was generally well tolerated. Our data indicate that imatinib has minimal clinical activity in PV. ..
- Verstovsek S. Therapeutic potential of Janus-activated kinase-2 inhibitors for the management of myelofibrosis. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:1988-96 pubmed publisher....
- Pemmaraju N, Kantarjian H, Kadia T, Cortes J, Borthakur G, Newberry K, et al. A phase I/II study of the Janus kinase (JAK)1 and 2 inhibitor ruxolitinib in patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2015;15:171-6 pubmed publisher..i.d. In this cohort of heavily pretreated patients with relapsed or refractory acute leukemias, ruxolitinib was overall reasonably well tolerated, with 1 patient achieving CRp. ..
- Chihara D, Masarova L, Newberry K, Maeng H, Ravandi F, Garcia Manero G, et al. Long-term results of a phase II trial of lenalidomide plus prednisone therapy for patients with myelofibrosis. Leuk Res. 2016;48:1-5 pubmed publisher..New clinical studies are needed to explore safe and well tolerated lenalidomide-based combination strategies for patients with MF. ..
- Strati P, Bose P, Lyle L, Gaw K, Zhou L, Pierce S, et al. Novel hematological parameters for the evaluation of patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms: the immature platelet and reticulocyte fractions. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:733-738 pubmed publisher..The IPF and IRF represent novel parameters in patients with MPN with potential relevant clinical implications. Comparison with healthy subjects and those with secondary polycythemia is needed to confirm our preliminary findings. ..
- Verstovsek S, Vannucchi A, Griesshammer M, Masszi T, Durrant S, Passamonti F, et al. Ruxolitinib versus best available therapy in patients with polycythemia vera: 80-week follow-up from the RESPONSE trial. Haematologica. 2016;101:821-9 pubmed publisher..These data support ruxolitinib as an effective long-term treatment option for hydroxyurea-resistant or intolerant patients with polycythemia vera. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov identifier: 01243944. ..
- Masarova L, Patel K, Newberry K, Cortes J, Borthakur G, Konopleva M, et al. Pegylated interferon alfa-2a in patients with essential thrombocythaemia or polycythaemia vera: a post-hoc, median 83 month follow-up of an open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Haematol. 2017;4:e165-e175 pubmed publisher..This drug alone and in combination with other drugs could be explored further in clinical trials. US National Cancer Institute. ..
- Vannucchi A, Verstovsek S, Guglielmelli P, Griesshammer M, Burn T, Naim A, et al. Ruxolitinib reduces JAK2 p.V617F allele burden in patients with polycythemia vera enrolled in the RESPONSE study. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:1113-1120 pubmed publisher..V617F allele burden in patients with PV who are resistant to or intolerant of hydroxyurea. The relationship between allele burden changes and clinical outcomes in patients with PV remains unclear. ..
- Strati P, Masarova L, Bose P, Daver N, Pemmaraju N, Verstovsek S. Haptoglobin is frequently low in patients with myelofibrosis: Clinical relevance. Leuk Res. 2017;57:85-88 pubmed publisher..Factors strongly correlating with decreased haptoglobin were high JAK2 allele burden and ongoing treatment with JAKi. Larger scale serial measurement and longer follow-up is needed to further explain our findings. ..
- Verstovsek S, Tefferi A, Kantarjian H, Manshouri T, Luthra R, Pardanani A, et al. Alemtuzumab therapy for hypereosinophilic syndrome and chronic eosinophilic leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:368-73 pubmed publisher..Patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL) that are refractory to standard therapies are difficult to manage and have significantly shortened life expectancy...
- Strati P, Benton C, Manshouri T, Zhang Y, Bove J, Sanchez Petitto G, et al. JAK2V617F detection and allele burden measurement in saliva vs. peripheral blood in patients with myelofibrosis. Leuk Res. 2017;63:53-55 pubmed publisher..JAK2V617F testing using saliva is a simple, non-invasive, and potentially a more reliable method than PB for measuring JAK2 status and assessing V617F allelic burden in patients with transfusion dependency. ..
- Verstovsek S, Gotlib J, Mesa R, Vannucchi A, Kiladjian J, Cervantes F, et al. Long-term survival in patients treated with ruxolitinib for myelofibrosis: COMFORT-I and -II pooled analyses. J Hematol Oncol. 2017;10:156 pubmed publisher..Further analyses will be important for exploring ruxolitinib earlier in the disease course to assess the effect on the natural history of MF. ClinicalTrials.gov identifiers, NCT00952289 and NCT00934544 . ..
- Verstovsek S, Mesa R, Salama M, Li L, Pitou C, Nunes F, et al. A phase 1 study of the Janus kinase 2 (JAK2)V617F inhibitor, gandotinib (LY2784544), in patients with primary myelofibrosis, polycythemia vera, and essential thrombocythemia. Leuk Res. 2017;61:89-95 pubmed publisher..Gandotinib demonstrated an acceptable safety and tolerability profile, and findings at the maximum-tolerated dose of 120mg supported further clinical testing. Clinicaltrials.gov identifier: NCT01134120. ..
- Kc D, Falchi L, Verstovsek S. The underappreciated risk of thrombosis and bleeding in patients with myelofibrosis: a review. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:1595-1604 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the frequency of thrombosis and bleeding in patients with MF, including prefibrotic PMF and their established and potential risk factors. ..
- Abaza Y, Yin C, Bueso Ramos C, Wang S, Verstovsek S. Primary autoimmune myelofibrosis: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Hematol. 2017;105:536-539 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the presence of monoclonal T-cell receptor gamma gene rearrangements delineated the presence of an autoimmune disorder supporting our diagnosis of primary autoimmune myelofibrosis. ..
- Verstovsek S, Mesa R, Gotlib J, Gupta V, DiPersio J, Catalano J, et al. Long-term treatment with ruxolitinib for patients with myelofibrosis: 5-year update from the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 COMFORT-I trial. J Hematol Oncol. 2017;10:55 pubmed publisher..6%), disease progression (1.9%), and pneumonia (1.9%). The final COMFORT-I results continue to support ruxolitinib as an effective treatment for patients with intermediate-2/high-risk MF. ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT00952289. ..
- Boddu P, Falchi L, Hosing C, Newberry K, Bose P, Verstovsek S. The role of thrombocytapheresis in the contemporary management of hyperthrombocytosis in myeloproliferative neoplasms: A case-based review. Leuk Res. 2017;58:14-22 pubmed publisher..It becomes apparent throughout the discussion that the decision to perform plateletpheresis should be individualized based upon the clinical scenario, degree of thrombocytosis, available infrastructure and every patient's risk profile. ..
- Verstovsek S, Harrison C, Kiladjian J, Miller C, Naim A, Paranagama D, et al. Markers of iron deficiency in patients with polycythemia vera receiving ruxolitinib or best available therapy. Leuk Res. 2017;56:52-59 pubmed publisher..The improvements in iron deficiency markers and PROs observed with ruxolitinib are suggestive of clinical benefits that warrant further exploration. ..
- Jain P, Wang S, Patel K, Sarwari N, Cortes J, Kantarjian H, et al. Mast cell leukemia (MCL): Clinico-pathologic and molecular features and survival outcome. Leuk Res. 2017;59:105-109 pubmed publisher..Clinical course may be affected by concurrent associated hematologic neoplasm and different genetic profiles. More research is required to decipher this rare and enigmatic SM subtype. ..
- Masarova L, Bose P, Daver N, Pemmaraju N, Newberry K, Manshouri T, et al. Patients with post-essential thrombocythemia and post-polycythemia vera differ from patients with primary myelofibrosis. Leuk Res. 2017;59:110-116 pubmed publisher..Although the clinical characteristics of PPV/PET-MF patients are not substantially different from those with PMF, their outcomes differ and prognostic scoring systems for PET/PPV-MF should be improved. ..
- Verstovsek S, Odenike O, Singer J, Granston T, Al Fayoumi S, Deeg H. Phase 1/2 study of pacritinib, a next generation JAK2/FLT3 inhibitor, in myelofibrosis or other myeloid malignancies. J Hematol Oncol. 2016;9:137 pubmed..Retrospectively registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov (# NCT00719836 ) on July 20, 2008. ..
- Verstovsek S, Mesa R, Gotlib J, Levy R, Gupta V, DiPersio J, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of ruxolitinib for myelofibrosis. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:799-807 pubmed publisher..Ruxolitinib, a selective inhibitor of Janus kinase (JAK) 1 and 2, has clinically significant activity in myelofibrosis...
- Verstovsek S, Tefferi A, Cortes J, O Brien S, Garcia Manero G, Pardanani A, et al. Phase II study of dasatinib in Philadelphia chromosome-negative acute and chronic myeloid diseases, including systemic mastocytosis. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:3906-15 pubmed publisher....