M E Suarez-Almazor
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Trends in hepatitis B virus screening at the onset of chemotherapy in a large US cancer centerJessica P Hwang
Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 1465, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
BMC Cancer 13:534. 2013..We aimed to determine contemporary screening rates at a cancer center and the possible influence on these rates of publication of national recommendations...
- Low rates of bone mineral density measurement in Medicare beneficiaries with prostate cancer initiating androgen deprivation therapyMaria E Suarez-Almazor
Department of General Internal Medicine, Unit 1465, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
Support Care Cancer 22:537-44. 2014..Our objective was to determine if Medicare beneficiaries with prostate cancer in the state of Texas underwent DXA scans when initiating ADT...
- Validation of ICD-9-CM codes for identification of acetaminophen-related emergency department visits in a large pediatric hospitalSofia de Achaval
Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, 77030, Houston, TX, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 13:72. 2013..Our objective was to assess the validity of International Classification of Disease (ICD-9-CM) codes for identification of pediatric emergency department (ED) visits resulting from acetaminophen exposure or overdose...
- Performance of risk indices for identifying low bone mineral density and osteoporosis in Mexican Mestizo women with rheumatoid arthritisLaura Gonzalez-Lopez
Department of Internal Medicine Rheumatology, Hospital General Regional 110, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social and University Center of Health Sciences, University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
J Rheumatol 39:247-53. 2012....
- Disease and symptom burden in systemic sclerosis: a patient perspectiveMaria E Suarez-Almazor
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Rheumatol 34:1718-26. 2007..Our study used qualitative methods to evaluate patients' assessment of disease and symptom burden in SSc...
- Initiation of disease-modifying antirheumatic drug therapy in minority and disadvantaged patients with rheumatoid arthritisMaria E Suarez-Almazor
Department of General Internal Medicine Rheumatology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Rheumatol 34:2400-7. 2007..To evaluate disparities in time to initiation of disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) receiving care in public or private healthcare settings...
- A qualitative analysis of decision-making for total knee replacement in patients with osteoarthritisMaria E Suarez-Almazor
Section of Rheumatology, Department of General Internal Medicine, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Rheumatol 16:158-63. 2010..The purpose of this study was to conduct a qualitative analysis of decision-making factors influencing preferences for TKA in patients with knee osteoarthritis...
- A randomized controlled trial of acupuncture for osteoarthritis of the knee: effects of patient-provider communicationMaria E Suarez-Almazor
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1229-36. 2010..We conducted a 3-month randomized clinical trial in patients with knee osteoarthritis to compare the efficacy of TCA with sham acupuncture and to examine the effects of acupuncturists' communication styles...
- Changing health behaviors with social marketingM E Suarez-Almazor
Department of General Internal Medicine, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Osteoporos Int 22:461-3. 2011....
- Measuring therapeutic adherence in systemic lupus erythematosus with electronic monitoringM F Marengo
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Lupus 21:1158-65. 2012..We used an electronic monitoring system to quantify adherence to prescribed oral therapies by patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Identifying clinical trials in the medical literature with electronic databases: MEDLINE alone is not enoughM E Suarez-Almazor
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Control Clin Trials 21:476-87. 2000..Our findings suggest that the use of MEDLINE alone to identify CCTs is inadequate. The use of two or more databases and hand searching of selected journals are needed to perform a comprehensive search...
- Surfing the Net--information on the World Wide Web for persons with arthritis: patient empowerment or patient deceit?M E Suarez-Almazor
Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Health Services, Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Rheumatol 28:185-91. 2001..We assessed the content, authorship, and scope of the information available on WWW in relation to rheumatoid arthritis...
- Rating of arthritis health states by patients, physicians, and the general public. Implications for cost-utility analysesM E Suarez-Almazor
Health Services Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Rheumatol 28:648-56. 2001..Our findings show that the methodology used to elicit and analyze utilities can have substantial implications in the economic evaluation of interventions for patients with RA...
- Psychosocial determinants of outcomes in knee replacementMaria A Lopez-Olivo
The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 70:1775-81. 2011..To identify potential psychosocial and educational barriers to clinical success following knee replacement...
- Determinants of treatment adherence in ethnically diverse, economically disadvantaged patients with rheumatic diseaseMaria G Garcia Popa-Lisseanu
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Rheumatol 32:913-9. 2005....
- HLA and cytokine gene polymorphisms in relation to occurrence of palindromic rheumatism and its progression to rheumatoid arthritisWalter P Maksymowych
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Rheumatol 29:2319-26. 2002..Our objective was to determine the contribution of HLA and cytokine gene polymorphisms implicated in RA to predisposition to PR and to progression of PR to chronic joint inflammation...
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the use of health services: bias, preferences, or poor communication?Carol M Ashton
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex, USA
J Gen Intern Med 18:146-52. 2003..We evaluate the evidence that poor communication is a cause of disparities and propose some remedies drawn from the communication sciences...
- In quest of the holy grail: efficacy versus effectiveness in rheumatoid arthritisMaria E Suarez-Almazor
J Rheumatol 29:209-11. 2002
- Effects of disease management programs on functional status of patients with rheumatoid arthritisEnkhe Badamgarav
Zynx Health Incorporated, Los Angeles, California, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:377-87. 2003..To perform a systematic review of the published literature on disease management of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and to use meta-analysis to estimate the magnitude of benefit these programs have on functional status in patients with RA...
- Current status of outcome measure development for clinical trials in systemic sclerosis. Report from OMERACT 6Peter A Merkel
Arthritis Center, Section of Rheumatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Rheumatol 30:1630-47. 2003..The current level of validation of outcome measures in SSc is assessed according to the guidelines set forth by prior OMERACT meetings...
- Treatment adherence in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosusAraceli Garcia-Gonzalez
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Anderson 1400 Holcombe Boulevard Unit 437, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Rheumatol 27:883-9. 2008..These appear to be more prevalent in African Americans and Hispanics than Whites; the impact of decreased adherence on outcomes could be significant and should be considered when treating patients with RA and SLE...
- Reading and interpreting economic evaluations in rheumatoid arthritis: an assessment of selected instruments for critical appraisalMichael H Weisman
Evidence Based Medicine Working Groups in Rheumatology, Beverly Hills, CA, USA
J Rheumatol 30:1739-47. 2003..To describe and compare the relative attributes (reliability, ease of use, applicability, and relevance) of different assessment tools for economic analyses as they pertain to rheumatoid arthritis (RA) literature...
- Rheumatoid arthritisPaul Emery
University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Am Fam Physician 68:1821-3. 2003
- OMERACT/OARSI initiative to define states of severity and indication for joint replacement in hip and knee osteoarthritisLaure Gossec
Medicine Faculty, Paris 5 René Descartes University AP HP, Cochin Hospital, Department of Rheumatology B, Paris, France
J Rheumatol 34:1432-5. 2007..quot;..
- Total joint arthroplasties: current concepts of patient outcomes after surgeryC Allyson Jones
Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G4, Canada
Clin Geriatr Med 21:527-41, vi. 2005..Mounting evidence suggests that no one patient-related or peri-operative factor clearly predicts the amount of pain relief or functional improvement that will occur following total hip or knee arthroplasty...
- Valuation of arthritis health states across ethnic groups and between patients and community membersJulianne Souchek
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Med Care 43:921-8. 2005..We sought to examine differences in valuation of health by individuals from different ethnic backgrounds and between patients and community members...
- Measuring preference weights for American college of rheumatology response criteria for patients with rheumatoid arthritisChiun Fang Chiou
Cerner Health Insights, Beverly Hills, California 90212, USA
J Rheumatol 32:2326-9. 2005..To estimate weights for health states comprising American College of Rheumatology (ACR) response and different levels of adverse events associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) treatments...
- Trust in physicians and elements of the medical interaction in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosusJavier P Berrios-Rivera
Baylor College of Medicine and Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arthritis Rheum 55:385-93. 2006..To identify components of the patient-doctor relationship associated with trust in physicians...
- Development and validation of a preference weight multiattribute health outcome measure for rheumatoid arthritisChiun Fang Chiou
Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
J Rheumatol 33:2409-11. 2006..To develop and validate multiattribute measures for patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) to report health states and estimate preference weights...
- Impact of shared epitope genotype and ethnicity on erosive disease: a meta-analysis of 3,240 rheumatoid arthritis patientsJennifer D Gorman
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0500, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:400-12. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the association of HLA-DRB1 SE alleles and genotype with the development of bony erosions in RA by meta-analysis...
- "Keep on truckin'" or "It's got you in this little vacuum": race-based perceptions in decision-making for total knee arthroplastyTony L Kroll
Meadows School of Arts, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas 75275 0113, USA
J Rheumatol 34:1069-75. 2007..Patient preferences may contribute to differences in utilization since TKA is an elective surgery. We conducted a qualitative analysis of decision-making factors influencing ethnic preferences for TKA in patients with knee OA...
- Process of care and outcomes in patients with peripheral arterial diseaseTracie C Collins
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, and Section of Health Services Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:942-8. 2007..We investigated the association of process of care measures with adverse limb and systemic events in patients with peripheral arterial disease (PAD)...
- Disparities in total knee replacements: a reviewRobert L Kane
The Minnesota Evidence Based Practice Center, University of Minnesota Clinical Outcomes Research Center, Minneapolis, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:562-7. 2007
- Retention in care: a challenge to survival with HIV infectionThomas P Giordano
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:1493-9. 2007..Patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection need lifelong medical care, but many do not remain in care. The effect of poor retention in care on survival is not known, and we sought to quantify that relationship...
- Total joint arthroplasties: current concepts of patient outcomes after surgeryC Allyson Jones
Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, 2 50 Corbett Hall, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G4, Canada
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 33:71-86. 2007..Mounting evidence suggests that no single patient-related or perioperative factor clearly predicts the amount of pain relief or functional improvement that will occur following total hip or knee arthroplasty...
- Treatment adherence in minorities with rheumatic diseaseMaria Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Patient-Provider Interaction & Response to AcupunctureMaria Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition there will be a natural control group (waiting list group), in which patients will be offered acupuncture three months after study entry. ..
- Cognitive Behavioral Determinants in Knee ReplacementMaria Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2007..The intervention will be based on cognitive behavioral strategies. ..