Andrew P Steenhoff
Affiliation: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Two cases of hypocalcemia secondary to vitamin D deficiency in an urban HIV-positive pediatric populationDavid Chao
AIDS 17:2401-3. 2003
- Neurocognitive impairment among HIV-positive individuals in Botswana: a pilot studyKathy Lawler
Center for AIDS Research, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
J Int AIDS Soc 13:15. 2010....
- Multiple oncogenic viruses identified in Ocular surface squamous neoplasia in HIV-1 patientsKenneth O Simbiri
Department of Microbiology, and Abramson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Tumor Virology Program, University of Pennsylvania, 202A Johnson Pavilion, 3610 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6076, USA
Infect Agent Cancer 5:6. 2010..Ocular surface squamous neoplasia (OSSN) is a rare cancer that has increased in incidence with the HIV pandemic in Africa. The underlying cause of this cancer in HIV-infected patients from Botswana is not well defined...
- Neuroborreliosis with progression from pseudotumor cerebri to aseptic meningitisAndrew P Steenhoff
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:91-2. 2006..The case illustrates the importance of considering neuroborreliosis in the differential diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri and describes the evolution of cerebrospinal fluid findings in this condition...
- Emergence of vaccine-related pneumococcal serotypes as a cause of bacteremiaAndrew P Steenhoff
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:907-14. 2006..In the postlicensure period, the impact of non-PCV7 serotypes against pediatric pneumococcal bacteremia is unknown...
- Cutaneous Mycobacterium avium complex infection as a manifestation of the immune reconstitution syndrome in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected childAndrew P Steenhoff
Division of Special Immunology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:755-7. 2007..The case illustrates that cutaneous Mycobacterium avium complex may present as a manifestation of the immune reconstitution syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children...
- Invasive pneumococcal disease among human immunodeficiency virus-infected children, 1989-2006Andrew P Steenhoff
Division of Special Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:886-91. 2008..The heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) has decreased the incidence of pediatric invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) in the United States. Few data exist on the changing IPD incidence in HIV-infected children...
- Tenofovir-associated nephrotoxicity in two HIV-infected adolescent malesSarah M Wood
Division of Special Immunology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:1-4. 2009..We believe these cases highlight important and potentially irreversible side effects of this agent and emphasize the need for further studies of the renal safety of TDF in pediatric patients...
- Association between efavirenz-based compared with nevirapine-based antiretroviral regimens and virological failure in HIV-infected childrenElizabeth D Lowenthal
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
JAMA 309:1803-9. 2013..Data on the comparative effectiveness of these medications in children are limited...
- Incidence of and risk factors for community acquired pneumonia in US HIV-infected children, 2000-2005Andrew P Steenhoff
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
AIDS 25:717-20. 2011..98; confidence interval 1.05-15.13) was associated with CAP. Herd immunity through pneumococcal immunization may have diluted the effect of individual immunization in this cohort...
- Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections at a tertiary hospital in BotswanaHong Truong
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
S Afr Med J 101:413-6. 2011..aureus isolates over time...
- Etiology of meningitis among patients admitted to a tertiary referral hospital in BotswanaPaul C Mullan
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:620-2. 2011..There were also 1018 cryptococcal and 44 tuberculous meningitis cases. Antimicrobial susceptibilities are described. Public health interventions could decrease the burden of meningitis in Botswana...
- Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in Gaborone, BotswanaSarah M Wood
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:782-5. 2009..aureus (MRSA) bacteremia. MRSA isolates had higher proportions of resistance to commonly used antimicrobials than did methicillin-susceptible isolates, emphasizing the need to revise empiric prescribing practices in Botswana...
- The impact of AIDS diagnoses on long-term neurocognitive and psychiatric outcomes of surviving adolescents with perinatally acquired HIVSarah M Wood
Special Immunology Service, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
AIDS 23:1859-65. 2009..To explore the association between previous severe HIV disease, defined as past Centers for Disease Control and Prevention class C diagnosis, and neurocognitive and psychiatric outcomes in long-term survivors of perinatally acquired HIV...
- Antibiotic use in pediatric patients admitted to a referral hospital in BotswanaBrian T Fisher
Division of Infectious Diseases and Departments of Pediatrics and Anesthesia and Critical Care, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:129-31. 2009..The results showed that the duration of prescribed therapy can be excessive. Recommendations for potential interventions to reduce antibiotic overuse in this setting are necessary...
- Primary varicella and herpes zoster among HIV-infected children from 1989 to 2006Sarah M Wood
Special Immunology Service, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatrics 121:e150-6. 2008..We hypothesized that the incidence of herpes zoster has decreased in this population as a result of highly active antiretroviral therapy and routine varicella zoster virus immunization...
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae, splenic infarct, and transient antiphospholipid antibodies: a new association?Char M Witmer
Division of Hematology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatrics 119:e292-5. 2007..We report 2 children with Mycoplasma pneumoniae pulmonary infection with splenic infarcts and transient antiphospholipid antibodies. This association has not been reported previously...
- Ancillary testing in children with rotavirus gastroenteritisPeter A Rowinsky
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Hosp Med 4:E36-40. 2009..The primary objective was to describe the incidence of SBI in children with RGE. The secondary objective was to elucidate risk factors for prolonged length of stay (LOS) in the cohort...
- Early mortality and AIDS progression despite high initial antiretroviral therapy adherence and virologic suppression in BotswanaKatherine T Steele
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20010. 2011..We sought to determine the relationship between very early ART adherence and early adverse outcomes in HIV-infected adults in Botswana...
- Training hospital providers in basic CPR skills in Botswana: acquisition, retention and impact of novel training techniquesPeter A Meaney
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, United States
Resuscitation 83:1484-90. 2012..We hypothesized that both existing and novel CPR training programs significantly impact skills of hospital-based healthcare providers (HCP) in Botswana...