Richard H Steckel
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Young adult mortality following severe physiological stress in childhood: skeletal evidenceRichard H Steckel
Economics, Anthropology and History Departments, Ohio State University, 1945N High St, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Econ Hum Biol 3:314-28. 2005..6 percentage points less for individuals stunted by 20 cm in height. The paper compares these findings with those from studies on modern data and concludes with suggestions for research...
- The hidden cost of moving up: type 2 diabetes and the escape from persistent poverty in the American SouthRichard H Steckel
Economics, Anthropology and History Departments, Ohio State University, 1945 N High St, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Hum Biol 25:508-15. 2013..The paper tests the thrifty phenotype hypothesis, according to which nonharmonious growth trajectories are costly for adult health...
- A history of health in Europe from the late Paleolithic era to the presentRichard H Steckel
Economics and Anthropology Departments, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Econ Hum Biol 1:139-42. 2003..Over this era human health was significantly affected by climate change, the rise of settled agriculture, urbanization, new technologies, global exploration and colonization, and industrialization...
- Biological measures of the standard of livingRichard H Steckel
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, and National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Econ Perspect 22:129-152. 2008..A concluding section ruminates on the future evolution of biological approaches in measuring happiness...
- The History of European Health Project: a history of health in Europe from the late Paleolithic era to the presentRichard H Steckel
Economics Department, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Acta Univ Carol Med Monogr 156:19-25. 2009..With a trans-Atlantic network of collaborators, we will undertake large-scale comparative studies of the causes and health consequences of these and other dramatic changes in arrangements for work, living, and human interaction...