Genomes and Genes
Anil K Sood
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Umamaheswaran S, Dasari S, Yang P, Lutgendorf S, Sood A. Stress, inflammation, and eicosanoids: an emerging perspective. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2018;37:203-211 pubmed publisher..Understanding the intricacies of such interactions could provide insights on how systemic metabolic effects mediated by the stress pathways can be translated into therapies for cancer and other diseases. ..
- Gharpure K, Pradeep S, Sans M, Rupaimoole R, Ivan C, Wu S, et al. FABP4 as a key determinant of metastatic potential of ovarian cancer. Nat Commun. 2018;9:2923 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate that FABP4 is functionally responsible for aggressive patterns of disease that likely contribute to poor prognosis in ovarian cancer. ..
- Bullock M, Silva A, Kanlikilicer Unaldi P, Filant J, Rashed M, Sood A, et al. Exosomal Non-Coding RNAs: Diagnostic, Prognostic and Therapeutic Applications in Cancer. Noncoding RNA. 2015;1:53-68 pubmed publisher..In the current review, we will explore these highly clinically relevant themes by examining the roles of exosomal ncRNAs in cancer diagnostics, prognostics and therapy. ..
- Previs R, Coleman R, Harris A, Sood A. Molecular pathways: translational and therapeutic implications of the Notch signaling pathway in cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:955-61 pubmed publisher..Understanding the context-specific effects of the Notch pathway will be important for individualized therapies targeting this pathway. ..
- Miyake T, Pradeep S, Wu S, Rupaimoole R, Zand B, Wen Y, et al. XPO1/CRM1 Inhibition Causes Antitumor Effects by Mitochondrial Accumulation of eIF5A. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:3286-97 pubmed publisher..Our data also ascertain the combinations of XPO1 inhibitors with specific chemotherapy drugs for therapeutic trials. ..
- Matsuo K, Nishimura M, Komurov K, Shahzad M, Ali Fehmi R, Roh J, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha (PDGFRα) targeting and relevant biomarkers in ovarian carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2014;132:166-75 pubmed publisher..MAPK and CCNB1 were downregulated only in the HeyA8-MDR model. These data identify IMC-3G3 as an attractive therapeutic strategy and identify potential predictive markers for further development. ..
- Previs R, Armaiz Pena G, Lin Y, Davis A, Pradeep S, Dalton H, et al. Dual Metronomic Chemotherapy with Nab-Paclitaxel and Topotecan Has Potent Antiangiogenic Activity in Ovarian Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2015;14:2677-86 pubmed publisher..The combination of metronomic nab-paclitaxel and metronomic topotecan offers a novel, highly effective therapeutic approach for ovarian carcinoma that merits further clinical development. ..
- Kang Y, Nagaraja A, Armaiz Pena G, Dorniak P, Hu W, Rupaimoole R, et al. Adrenergic Stimulation of DUSP1 Impairs Chemotherapy Response in Ovarian Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1713-24 pubmed publisher..049) and progression-free (P= 0.0005) survival. These findings provide a new understanding of the mechanisms by which adrenergic pathways can impair response to chemotherapy and have implications for cancer management. ..
- Wen Y, Zand B, Ozpolat B, Szczepanski M, Lu C, Yuca E, et al. Antagonism of tumoral prolactin receptor promotes autophagy-related cell death. Cell Rep. 2014;7:488-500 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide an understanding of the mechanisms of tumor growth inhibition through targeting PRL/PRLR and may have clinical implications. ..
- Haemmerle M, Stone R, Menter D, Afshar Kharghan V, Sood A. The Platelet Lifeline to Cancer: Challenges and Opportunities. Cancer Cell. 2018;33:965-983 pubmed publisher..Here, we present a review of recent discoveries in the field of platelet biology and the role of platelets in cancer progression as well as challenges in targeting platelets for cancer treatment. ..
- Hatakeyama H, Wu S, Mangala L, Lopez Berestein G, Sood A. Assessment of In Vivo siRNA Delivery in Cancer Mouse Models. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1402:189-197 pubmed publisher..This chapter describes approaches to deliver siRNA effectively for cancer treatment and discusses in detail the current methods to assess pharmacokinetics and biodistribution of siRNAs in vivo. ..
- Rupaimoole R, Lee J, Haemmerle M, Ling H, Previs R, Pradeep S, et al. Long Noncoding RNA Ceruloplasmin Promotes Cancer Growth by Altering Glycolysis. Cell Rep. 2015;13:2395-2402 pubmed publisher..As demonstrated, DOPC nanoparticle-incorporated siRNA-mediated silencing of this lncRNA in vivo provides therapeutic avenue toward modulating lncRNAs in cancer. ..
- Schrepf A, Thaker P, Goodheart M, Bender D, Slavich G, Dahmoush L, et al. Diurnal cortisol and survival in epithelial ovarian cancer. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2015;53:256-67 pubmed publisher..Nocturnal cortisol may have utility as a non-invasive measure of HPA function and/or disease severity. ..
- Roh J, Huang J, Hu W, Yang X, Jennings N, Sehgal V, et al. Biologic effects of platelet-derived growth factor receptor ? blockade in uterine cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014;20:2740-50 pubmed publisher..The antitumor effects of therapy were related to increased apoptosis and decreased proliferation and angiogenesis. These findings identify PDGFR? as an attractive target for therapeutic development in uterine cancer. ..
- Bottsford Miller J, Choi H, Dalton H, Stone R, Cho M, Haemmerle M, et al. Differential platelet levels affect response to taxane-based therapy in ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:602-10 pubmed publisher..55) and decreased tumor cell apoptosis. Pretransfusion aspirinization of the platelets blocked the growth-promoting effects of transfusion. Platelet-driven effects of chemotherapy response may explain clinical observations. ..
- Gharpure K, Wu S, Li C, Lopez Berestein G, Sood A. Nanotechnology: Future of Oncotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:3121-30 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the role that nanotechnology has played in improving cancer therapy, its potential for affecting all aspects of cancer care, and the challenges that must be overcome to realize its full promise. ..
- Allen J, Armaiz Pena G, Nagaraja A, Sadaoui N, Ortiz T, Dood R, et al. Sustained Adrenergic Signaling Promotes Intratumoral Innervation through BDNF Induction. Cancer Res. 2018;78:3233-3242 pubmed publisher..b>Significance: Sustained adrenergic signaling promotes tumor growth and metastasis through BDNF-mediated tumoral innervation. Cancer Res; 78(12); 3233-42. ©2018 AACR. ..
- Wen Y, Graybill W, Previs R, Hu W, Ivan C, Mangala L, et al. Immunotherapy targeting folate receptor induces cell death associated with autophagy in ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:448-59 pubmed publisher..MORAB-003 displays prominent antitumor activity in ovarian cancer models expressing FRÎ± at high levels. Blockade of folate receptor by MORAB-003 induced sustained autophagy and suppressed cell proliferation. ..
- Hansen J, Coleman R, Sood A. Targeting the tumour microenvironment in ovarian cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2016;56:131-143 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review the key components of the tumour microenvironment as they pertain to this disease, outline targeting opportunities and supporting evidence thus far, and discuss resistance to therapy. ..
- Sood A, Lutgendorf S. Stress influences on anoikis. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011;4:481-5 pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the relationship between psychosocial factors and the avoidance of anoikis by cancer cells. ..
- Rupaimoole R, Calin G, Lopez Berestein G, Sood A. miRNA Deregulation in Cancer Cells and the Tumor Microenvironment. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:235-46 pubmed publisher..In this article, we provide insights into the regulatory mechanisms involved in the deregulation of miRNAs in cancer cells and the tumor microenvironment and discuss therapeutic intervention strategies to overcome this deregulation. ..
- Huang J, Hu W, Hu L, Previs R, Dalton H, Yang X, et al. Dll4 Inhibition plus Aflibercept Markedly Reduces Ovarian Tumor Growth. Mol Cancer Ther. 2016;15:1344-52 pubmed publisher..These findings identify that dual targeting of Dll4 and VEGF is an attractive therapeutic approach. Mol Cancer Ther; 15(6); 1344-52. Â©2016 AACR. ..
- Zand B, Previs R, Zacharias N, Rupaimoole R, Mitamura T, Nagaraja A, et al. Role of Increased n-acetylaspartate Levels in Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016;108:djv426 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, emerging evidence suggests that proliferating cancer cells exploit alternative metabolic pathways to meet their high demand for energy and to accumulate biomass (6-8). ..
- Tamir A, Jag U, Sarojini S, Schindewolf C, Tanaka T, Gharbaran R, et al. Kallikrein family proteases KLK6 and KLK7 are potential early detection and diagnostic biomarkers for serous and papillary serous ovarian cancer subtypes. J Ovarian Res. 2014;7:109 pubmed publisher..Assays based on KLK6 and KLK7 expression may provide specific and sensitive information for early detection of ovarian cancer. ..
- Pradeep S, Huang J, Mora E, Nick A, Cho M, Wu S, et al. Erythropoietin Stimulates Tumor Growth via EphB4. Cancer Cell. 2015;28:610-622 pubmed publisher..These results identify EphB4 as a critical mediator of erythropoietin-induced tumor progression and further provide clinically significant dimension to the biology of erythropoietin. ..
- Denizli M, Aslan B, Mangala L, Jiang D, Rodriguez Aguayo C, Lopez Berestein G, et al. Chitosan Nanoparticles for miRNA Delivery. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1632:219-230 pubmed publisher..This platform allows for robust target modulation and antitumor activity following intravenous administration. ..
- Haemmerle M, Taylor M, Gutschner T, Pradeep S, Cho M, Sheng J, et al. Platelets reduce anoikis and promote metastasis by activating YAP1 signaling. Nat Commun. 2017;8:310 pubmed publisher..Here the authors show that platelets improve anoikis resistance of cancer cells and increase metastasis by activating Yap through a RhoA/MYPT-PP1 pathway. ..
- Dalton H, Pradeep S, McGuire M, Hailemichael Y, Ma S, Lyons Y, et al. Macrophages Facilitate Resistance to Anti-VEGF Therapy by Altered VEGFR Expression. Clin Cancer Res. 2017;23:7034-7046 pubmed publisher..i>Clin Cancer Res; 23(22); 7034-46. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Huang Y, Hu W, Huang J, Shen F, Sun Y, Ivan C, et al. Inhibiting Nuclear Phospho-Progesterone Receptor Enhances Antitumor Activity of Onapristone in Uterine Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2018;17:464-473 pubmed publisher..i>Mol Cancer Ther; 17(2); 464-73. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Chen X, Mangala L, Rodriguez Aguayo C, Kong X, Lopez Berestein G, Sood A. RNA interference-based therapy and its delivery systems. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2018;37:107-124 pubmed publisher..This review presents an update on current progress in the therapeutic application of RNAi with a focus on cancer therapy and strategies for optimizing delivery systems, such as lipid-based nanoparticles. ..
- Yang L, Achreja A, Yeung T, Mangala L, Jiang D, Han C, et al. Targeting Stromal Glutamine Synthetase in Tumors Disrupts Tumor Microenvironment-Regulated Cancer Cell Growth. Cell Metab. 2016;24:685-700 pubmed publisher..We present a synthetic lethal approach to target tumor stroma and cancer cells simultaneously for desirable therapeutic outcomes. ..
- Hatakeyama H, Wu S, Lyons Y, Pradeep S, Wang W, Huang Q, et al. Role of CTGF in Sensitivity to Hyperthermia in Ovarian and Uterine Cancers. Cell Rep. 2016;17:1621-1631 pubmed publisher..CTGF silencing aggravated energy stress induced by hyperthermia and enhanced apoptosis of hyperthermia-resistant cancers. ..
- Huang Y, Lichtenberger L, Taylor M, Bottsford Miller J, Haemmerle M, Wagner M, et al. Antitumor and Antiangiogenic Effects of Aspirin-PC in Ovarian Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2016;15:2894-2904 pubmed..We also found that both aspirin-PC and aspirin have robust antineoplastic action in the presence of VEGF-blocking drugs. Mol Cancer Ther; 15(12); 2894-904. Â©2016 AACR. ..