Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Prospective influence of music-related media exposure on adolescent substance-use initiation: a peer group mediation modelMichael D Slater
School of Communication, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Health Commun 18:291-305. 2013..This influence is in part explained by the role of music-related media content in socialization to substance-using peer groups...
- Increasing support for alcohol-control enforcement through news coverage of alcohol's role in injuries and crimeMichael D Slater
School of Communication, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 73:311-5. 2012..Methodologically, we provide a model for experiments permitting generalization across randomly selected message stimuli...
- Assessing media campaigns linking marijuana non-use with autonomy and aspirations: "Be Under Your Own Influence" and ONDCP's "Above the Influence"Michael D Slater
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Prev Sci 12:12-22. 2011..Self-reported exposure to the ONDCP campaign predicted reduced marijuana use, and analyses partially support indirect effects of the two campaigns via aspirations and autonomy...
- Media influence on alcohol-control policy support in the U.S. adult population: the intervening role of issue concern and risk judgmentsMichael D Slater
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1339, USA
J Health Commun 14:262-75. 2009..Tests of model fit suggest that concern precedes the more cognitive risk judgment in the mediation model...
- News coverage of cancer in the United States: a national sample of newspapers, television, and magazinesMichael D Slater
School of Communication, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Health Commun 13:523-37. 2008..Of greater public health concern was the limited coverage of prevention and detection even for highly preventable or relatively easily detected cancers. Implications of findings are discussed...
- Alcohol, illegal drugs, violent crime, and traffic-related and other unintended injuries in U.S. local and national newsMichael D Slater
The Ohio State University, 3022 Derby Hall, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1339, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:904-10. 2006..The present study seeks to establish the extent to which media coverage acknowledges alcohol's contribution to violent crime as well as to motor vehicle injuries and other injury incidents...
- Specification and misspecification of theoretical foundations and logic models for health communication campaignsMichael D Slater
School of Communication, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210, USA
Health Commun 20:149-57. 2006....
- Combining in-school and community-based media efforts: reducing marijuana and alcohol uptake among younger adolescentsMichael D Slater
School of Communication, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210 1339, USA
Health Educ Res 21:157-67. 2006..114). Results suggest that an appropriately designed in-school and community-based media effort can reduce youth substance uptake. Effectiveness does not depend on the presence of an in-school prevention curriculum...
- Segmentation on a shoestring: health audience segmentation in limited-budget and local social marketing interventionsMichael D Slater
School of Communication, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Health Promot Pract 7:170-3. 2006
- Mediators and moderators of magazine advertisement effects on adolescent cigarette smokingPatricia A Aloise-Young
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1876, USA
J Health Commun 11:281-300. 2006..It is suggested that the effect of magazine ads on adolescents should be considered in policymaking on cigarette advertising...
- Alcohol use in early adolescence: the effect of changes in risk taking, perceived harm and friends' alcohol useKimberly L Henry
Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado, 910 28th Street, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
J Stud Alcohol 66:275-83. 2005..This study instead explores the effects of changes in risk factors for individual adolescents...
- Characteristics of health-related web sites identified by common internet portalsMichael D Slater
JAMA 288:316-7. 2002
- The National Youth Anti-Drug Media CampaignSteven H Kelder
Am J Public Health 92:1211-2. 2002
- Sensation-seeking as a moderator of the effects of peer influences, consistency with personal aspirations, and perceived harm on marijuana and cigarette use among younger adolescentsMichael D Slater
Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1785, USA
Subst Use Misuse 38:865-80. 2003..In addition, aspirations inconsistent with marijuana use appeared protective for high sensation-seekers...
- Descriptions of Web sites in search listings: a potential obstacle to informed choice of health informationMichael D Slater
Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523 1785, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1281-2. 2003
- Randomized trial on the 5 a day, the Rio Grande Way Website, a web-based program to improve fruit and vegetable consumption in rural communitiesDavid B Buller
Klein Buendel, Inc, Golden, Colorado 80401, USA
J Health Commun 13:230-49. 2008..The comparison on the food frequency measure may have been undermined by its high variability. Websites may be successful in community settings only when they are used enough by adults to influence them...
- Narrative communication in cancer prevention and control: a framework to guide research and applicationMatthew W Kreuter
Health Communication Research Laboratory, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, 3545 Lafayette Avenue, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Ann Behav Med 33:221-35. 2007..Future research needs based on these propositions are outlined and encouraged...
- The contextual effect of school attachment on young adolescents' alcohol useKimberly L Henry
Department of Psychology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1876, USA
J Sch Health 77:67-74. 2007....
- A test of conversational and testimonial messages versus didactic presentations of nutrition informationMichael D Slater
Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, Colorado State University, Ft Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 35:255-9. 2003..Conversational and testimonial approaches to presenting messages relevant to fruit and vegetable consumption were compared with a traditional didactic message...
- US news media coverage of tobacco control issuesMarilee Long
Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, C223 Clark Building, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Tob Control 15:367-72. 2006..To characterise the relative amount and type of daily newspaper, local and national TV newscast, and national news magazine coverage of tobacco control issues in the United States in 2002 and 2003...
- Brief measures of sensation seeking for screening and large-scale surveysMichael T Stephenson
Department of Communication, Texas A and M University, 4234 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843 4234, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 72:279-86. 2003..Both indices performed in ways remarkably similar to the established measures of sensation seeking and should prove useful for future research involving risky health behaviors...
- Using community readiness key informant assessments in a randomized group prevention trial: impact of a participatory community-media interventionMichael D Slater
Journalism and Technical Communication, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Community Health 30:39-53. 2005....
- Intraindividual variability of school bonding and adolescents' beliefs about the effect of substance use on future aspirationsKimberly L Henry
University of Colorado, Institute of Behavioral Science, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
Prev Sci 6:101-12. 2005..Furthermore, a strong intraindividual effect of school bonding was observed, indicating that as a student became more or less bonded to school his/her belief that substance use could affect future aspirations similarly changed...
- Alcohol advertising and youthSusan E Martin
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:900-6. 2002..Grube...
- In-school and community media preventionMichael Slater; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a result, the school and community treatments are crossed and can each be assessed within an HLM framework. Cost-effectiveness data will also be collected and assessed. [unreadable] [unreadable]..