Affiliation: The Salk Institute
- Synchronized firing in the retinaJonathon Shlens
The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Curr Opin Neurobiol 18:396-402. 2008..Thus, in the parasol cells, the origin and impact of synchronized firing on the neural code may be understood as locally shared input which influences the visual signals transmitted from eye to brain...
- The structure of multi-neuron firing patterns in primate retinaJonathon Shlens
Department of Systems Neurobiology, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 26:8254-66. 2006..This approach provides a way to define limits on the complexity of network interactions and thus may be relevant for probing the function of many neural circuits...
- Estimating information rates with confidence intervals in neural spike trainsJonathon Shlens
Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neural Comput 19:1683-719. 2007..Finally, we apply these ideas to a recording from a guinea pig retinal ganglion cell and compare results to a simple linear decoder...
- The structure of large-scale synchronized firing in primate retinaJonathon Shlens
The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 29:5022-31. 2009..In sum, large-scale synchronized firing in the entire population of ON-parasol cells appears to reflect simple neighbor interactions, rather than a unique visual signal or a highly redundant coding scheme...
- Spatial properties and functional organization of small bistratified ganglion cells in primate retinaGreg D Field
Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 27:13261-72. 2007..Thus, despite their distinctive morphology and chromatic properties, SBCs exhibit two features of other retinal ganglion cell types: center-surround antagonism and regular mosaic sampling of visual space...
- Correlated firing among major ganglion cell types in primate retinaMartin Greschner
Systems Neurobiology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Physiol 589:75-86. 2011..Collectively, these results provide an overview of correlated firing across cell types in the primate retina, and constraints on the underlying mechanisms...
- High-sensitivity rod photoreceptor input to the blue-yellow color opponent pathway in macaque retinaGreg D Field
Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:1159-64. 2009..Third, rod input to SBCs may be the substrate for behavioral biases toward perception of blue at mesopic light levels...
- Functional connectivity in the retina at the resolution of photoreceptorsGreg D Field
Systems Neurobiology Laboratories, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 467:673-7. 2010..These measurements reveal computations in a neural circuit at the elementary resolution of individual neurons...
- Uniform signal redundancy of parasol and midget ganglion cells in primate retinaJeffrey L Gauthier
Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 NorthTorrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Neurosci 29:4675-80. 2009....
- Estimating entropy rates with Bayesian confidence intervalsMatthew B Kennel
Institute for Nonlinear Science, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0402, USA
Neural Comput 17:1531-76. 2005..In related work, we apply these ideas to estimate the information rates between sensory stimuli and neural responses in experimental data (Shlens, Kennel, Abarbanel, & Chichilnisky, in preparation)...
- Receptive fields in primate retina are coordinated to sample visual space more uniformlyJeffrey L Gauthier
Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS Biol 7:e1000063. 2009..These results show that the primate retina encodes light with an exquisitely coordinated array of RF shapes, illustrating a higher degree of functional precision in the neural circuitry than previously appreciated...
- Spatio-temporal correlations and visual signalling in a complete neuronal populationJonathan W Pillow
Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, UCL, 17 Queen Square, London WC1N 3AR, UK
Nature 454:995-9. 2008..This model-based approach reveals the role of correlated activity in the retinal coding of visual stimuli, and provides a general framework for understanding the importance of correlated activity in populations of neurons...
- Identification and characterization of a Y-like primate retinal ganglion cell typeDumitru Petrusca
Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics, University of California, Santa Cruz, California 95064, USA
J Neurosci 27:11019-27. 2007..We further speculate that the upsilon cells may be the primate retina's counterparts of the Y-cells observed in the cat and other mammalian species...