Affiliation: The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University
- Rational choice and environmental deterrence in the retention of mandated drug abuse treatment clientsHung En Sung
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New York, NY 10019, USA
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 51:686-702. 2007..These findings highlight the necessity of reinforcing perceptions of arrest risks and job prospects during treatment. The study concludes with some clinical recommendations...
- The exclusion of nicotine: closing the gap in addiction policy and practiceLinda Richter
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University CASAColumbia, New York, NY, USA
Am J Public Health 103:e14-6. 2013..Effective prevention and treatment requires the inclusion of nicotine in a comprehensive approach addressing all manifestations of addiction within health care policy and practice. ..
- Exposure to parental tobacco and alcohol use: effects on children's health and developmentL Richter
National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, Columbia University, New York, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 71:182-203. 2001..Implications for prevention, intervention, and public education are discussed, and a reframing of the national dialogue on youth substance abuse is called for...
- Public attitudes about underage drinking policies: results from a national surveyLinda Richter
National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, Columbia University, New York, New York 10017 6706, USA
J Public Health Policy 25:58-77. 2004..The findings provide important guidelines to policymakers interested in garnering support for policies aimed at curtailing underage drinking...
- Contextual barriers to successful reentry of recovering drug offendersHung En Sung
Department of Law, Police Science, and Criminal Justice Administration, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 899 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY 10019, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 31:365-74. 2006..These findings highlight the promise of blending effective drug abuse treatment with credible sanctions against drug offenses as well as the need for job training, placement, and advocacy services...
- Addressing the critical health problem of adolescent substance use through health care, research, and public policyEmily C Feinstein
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, New York, NY 10017 6706, USA
J Adolesc Health 50:431-6. 2012....
- Nonmedical use of prescription opioids among teenagers in the United States: trends and correlatesHung En Sung
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, New York, New York 10017, USA
J Adolesc Health 37:44-51. 2005..This article reports on trends and correlates of the nonmedical use of prescription opioids among youth...
- Alcohol use patterns before and after September 11thPatrick B Johnson
National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am Clin Lab 21:25-7. 2002
- The relationship between smoking, drinking, and adolescents' self-perceived health and frequency of hospitalization: analyses from the 1997 National Household Survey on Drug AbusePatrick B Johnson
Health and Treatment Research and Analysis division of The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, New York, New York 10017 6706, USA
J Adolesc Health 30:175-83. 2002..To investigate the more immediate health effects of smoking and drinking among adolescents...
- Behavioural strategies to reduce HIV transmission: how to make them work betterThomas J Coates
UCLA Program in Global Health, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Lancet 372:669-84. 2008..Fifth, we need to get the simple things right. The fundamentals of HIV prevention need to be agreed upon, funded, implemented, measured, and achieved. That, presently, is not the case...
- A systematic review on the meaning of the concept 'AIDS Orphan': confusion over definitions and implications for careLorraine Sherr
Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
AIDS Care 20:527-36. 2008..The lack of consistent measures and the blurring of definitions are stumbling blocks in this area...
- Maternal and child undernutrition: consequences for adult health and human capitalCesar G Victora
Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Lancet 371:340-57. 2008..Its prevention will probably bring about important health, educational, and economic benefits. Chronic diseases are especially common in undernourished children who experience rapid weight gain after infancy...
- Sexual risk behavior among South African adolescents: is orphan status a factor?Tonya R Thurman
Department of International Health and Development, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
AIDS Behav 10:627-35. 2006..Programmatic implications of these findings for the care and protection of orphans are discussed...
- Personality, attitudinal and behavioral risk profiles of young female binge drinkers and smokersErin C Pirkle
Community Mental Health Services, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 38:44-54. 2006....
- Telescoping of drinking-related behaviors: gender, racial/ethnic, and age comparisonsPatrick B Johnson
Dept of Human Development and Learning, Dowling College, Oakdale, NY 11769, USA
Subst Use Misuse 40:1139-51. 2005....
- Marijuana use among the adolescent children of high-risk drug-abusing fathersDavid W Brook
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York City, NY 10029, USA
Am J Addict 11:95-110. 2002..Moreover, if a father is a drug abuser, it is important to help him establish a close bond with his child in order to help attenuate the influence of his drug use on the child's marijuana use...
- The acceptability of an investigational vaginal microbicide, PRO 2000 Gel, among women in a phase I clinical trialKathleen Morrow
Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine, Brown Medical School, and The Miriam Hospital, Lifespan Academic Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 12:655-66. 2003..In this study, the acceptability of an investigational microbicide, PRO 2000 Gel (Indevus Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Lexington, MA), was assessed, and women's opinions about microbicides and their potential for real world use were gathered...
- Social and behavioral aspects of child and adolescent participation in HIV vaccine trialsLeslie Swartz
Sociobehavioural Group, South African AIDS Vaccine Initiative SAAVI, South Africa
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 4:89-92. 2005....