Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Ravandi F, Kebriaei P. Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2009;23:1043-63, vi pubmed publisher..The introduction of effective TKIs in the treatment of Ph+ ALL has introduced several avenues of research in a disease that was hitherto difficult to treat. ..
- Ravandi F, Ritchie E, Sayar H, Lancet J, Craig M, Vey N, et al. Vosaroxin plus cytarabine versus placebo plus cytarabine in patients with first relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia (VALOR): a randomised, controlled, double-blind, multinational, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol. 2015;16:1025-1036 pubmed publisher..Sunesis Pharmaceuticals. ..
- Ravandi F. Chemoimmunotherapy for hairy cell leukemia. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2015;28:230-5 pubmed publisher..Other novel monoclonal antibodies, approved for the treatment of other lymphoid neoplasms, may also be considered for future studies of chemo-immunotherapy. ..
- Badar T, Ravandi F. Relapsed Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Need for Innovative Treatment Strategies to Improve Outcome. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2015;15 Suppl:S104-8 pubmed publisher..Hopefully in the near future, we can improve the outcome of patients with relapsed AML with treatment strategies based on identification of specific targets and methods to overcome these aberrant processes. ..
- Ravandi F. Are adjuncts to induction chemotherapy worthwhile in the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia?. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2014;27:241-6 pubmed publisher..Identification of potent targeted agents may even have the potential of replacing cytotoxic therapy at least in some subsets of AML. ..
- Ravandi F, Jilani I, Estey E, Kantarjian H, Dey A, Aguilar C, et al. Soluble phosphorylated fms-like tyrosine kinase III. FLT3 protein in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Leuk Res. 2007;31:791-7 pubmed..04). Other mechanisms may be responsible for abnormal phosphorylation of FLT3 and inhibitors of FLT3 should also be investigated in patients without mutations. ..
- Ravandi F, O Brien S, Jorgensen J, Pierce S, Faderl S, Ferrajoli A, et al. Phase 2 study of cladribine followed by rituximab in patients with hairy cell leukemia. Blood. 2011;118:3818-23 pubmed publisher..Median survival duration has not been reached (range, 2+-64+ months). Treatment with cladribine followed by rituximab is effective tk;4and may increase CR rate. This study was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00412594. ..
- Ravandi F, Burnett A, Agura E, Kantarjian H. Progress in the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer. 2007;110:1900-10 pubmed
- Sasaki K, Jabbour E, Cortes J, Kadia T, Garcia Manero G, Borthakur G, et al. Outcome of Patients With Therapy-Related Acute Myeloid Leukemia With or Without a History of Myelodysplasia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016;16:616-624 pubmed publisher..The presence of AHD did not affect OS. ..
- Ravandi F, Faderl S. Complete response in a patient with adult T-cell leukemia (ATL) treated with combination of alemtuzumab and pentostatin. Leuk Res. 2006;30:103-5 pubmed..Alemtuzumab with or without nucleoside analogs such as pentostatin may provide a role in this setting. However, the associated immunosuppression is a concern in patients with viral-mediated disease. ..
- Ravandi F, Aribi A, O Brien S, Faderl S, Jones D, Ferrajoli A, et al. Phase II study of alemtuzumab in combination with pentostatin in patients with T-cell neoplasms. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:5425-30 pubmed publisher..Although infections, including cytomegalovirus reactivation, are a concern, they may be minimized with adequate prophylactic antibiotic therapy. ..
- Ravandi F, Issa J, Garcia Manero G, O Brien S, Pierce S, Shan J, et al. Superior outcome with hypomethylating therapy in patients with acute myeloid leukemia and high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome and chromosome 5 and 7 abnormalities. Cancer. 2009;115:5746-51 pubmed publisher..153). The overall survival was superior for the hypomethylating group compared with the chemotherapy group (P=.019). Treatment with hypomethylating agents may be superior to chemotherapy in patients with chromosome 5 and 7 abnormalities. ..
- Short N, Ravandi F. Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Past, Present, and Prospects for the Future. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016;16 Suppl:S25-9 pubmed publisher..Sensitive methods for detecting minimal residual disease in AML have not only improved prognostication of these patients but also provide the framework for risk-adapted strategies in this heterogeneous disease. ..
- Ravandi F, Gojo I, Patnaik M, Minden M, Kantarjian H, Johnson Levonas A, et al. A phase I trial of the human double minute 2 inhibitor (MK-8242) in patients with refractory/recurrent acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). Leuk Res. 2016;48:92-100 pubmed publisher..9h, CLss/F 28.8L/h, and Vss/F 317L. The 7on/14off regimen showed a more favorable safety profile; no MTD was established. Efficacy was seen using both regimens providing impetus for further study of HDM2 inhibitors in subjects with AML. ..
- Vega Ruiz A, Faderl S, Estrov Z, Pierce S, Cortes J, Kantarjian H, et al. Incidence of extramedullary disease in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia: a single-institution experience. Int J Hematol. 2009;89:489-496 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the incidence of EMD is low. We were unable to identify any specific factors that could predict the development of EMD. ..
- Short N, Kantarjian H, Jabbour E, Ravandi F. Novel Therapies for Older Adults With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2018;13:91-99 pubmed publisher..Innovative combination strategies may further improve the outcomes of these patients. ..
- Ravandi F, Kantarjian H, Jones D, Dearden C, Keating M, O Brien S. Mature T-cell leukemias. Cancer. 2005;104:1808-18 pubmed..Herein, we review the clinical and pathological features of mature T-cell leukemias...
- Ravandi F, Jorgensen J, O Brien S, Verstovsek S, Koller C, Faderl S, et al. Eradication of minimal residual disease in hairy cell leukemia. Blood. 2006;107:4658-62 pubmed..Disease characteristics may potentially be used to identify patients that are more likely to benefit from such additional therapy...
- ..Whether such strategies of chemoimmunotherapy would lead to further improvements in the outcome of patients with HCL needs to be further investigated...
- Khan M, Cortes J, Kadia T, Naqvi K, Brandt M, Pierce S, et al. Clinical Outcomes and Co-Occurring Mutations in Patients with RUNX1-Mutated Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Future studies should focus on the prognostic implications of RUNX1 mutations relative to other co-occurring mutations, and the potential role of hypomethylating agents for this molecularly-defined group. ..
- Ravandi F, Kantarjian H, Faderl S, Garcia Manero G, O Brien S, Koller C, et al. Outcome of patients with FLT3-mutated acute myeloid leukemia in first relapse. Leuk Res. 2010;34:752-6 pubmed publisher..017). Overall, patients with mutated FLT3 had a shorter survival from the time of relapse compared to those with FLT3-WT (P<0.001). The adverse prognostic impact of FLT3 mutations appears to persist beyond the initial treatment. ..
- Ravandi F, Cortes J, Jones D, Faderl S, Garcia Manero G, Konopleva M, et al. Phase I/II study of combination therapy with sorafenib, idarubicin, and cytarabine in younger patients with acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:1856-62 pubmed publisher..Plasma inhibitory assay demonstrated an on-target effect on FLT3 kinase activity. CONCLUSION Sorafenib can be safely combined with chemotherapy, produces a high CR rate in FLT3-mutated patients, and inhibits FLT3 signaling. ..
- Ravandi F, Patel K, Luthra R, Faderl S, Konopleva M, Kadia T, et al. Prognostic significance of alterations in IDH enzyme isoforms in patients with AML treated with high-dose cytarabine and idarubicin. Cancer. 2012;118:2665-73 pubmed publisher..Using high-dose ara-C-based induction regimens, we did not detect an association with outcome for any of the aberrations. ..