Affiliation: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Disorders of cortical development and epilepsyBrenda E Porter
Division of Child Neurology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Wood Bldg 6th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Neurol 59:361-5. 2002..In the future, strategies for blocking formation of the aberrant networks may prevent the development of epilepsy...
- Dysplasia: a common finding in intractable pediatric temporal lobe epilepsyB E Porter
Pediatric Regional Epilepsy Program, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Neurology 61:365-8. 2003..Pre-existing cortical dysplasia (CD) may also predispose to refractory TLE, independent of other risk factors for epilepsy...
- Fate of newborn dentate granule cells after early life status epilepticusBrenda E Porter
Division of Pediatric Neurology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Epilepsia 45:13-9. 2004..To determine the fate of newborn dentate granule cells (DGCs) after lithium-pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus (SE) in an immature rat...
- Heterogeneous GABAA receptor subunit expression in pediatric epilepsy patientsBrenda E Porter
Division of Neurology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurobiol Dis 18:484-91. 2005..Patient-specific GABAAR expression might contribute to variability in anti-epileptic drug efficacy, side-effect profiles, and seizure susceptibility...
- Neurogenesis and epilepsy in the developing brainBrenda E Porter
The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Epilepsia 49:50-4. 2008..Future studies need to focus on how these changes in neurogenesis influence dentate gyrus function and what they imply for epileptogenesis and learning and memory impairments, so commonly found in children with temporal lobe epilepsy...
- The role of transcription factors cyclic-AMP responsive element modulator (CREM) and inducible cyclic-AMP early repressor (ICER) in epileptogenesisB E Porter
Department of Pediatrics, The Children Hospital of Philadelphia at the University of Pennsylvania, 502C Abramson, 3516 Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neuroscience 152:829-36. 2008..Together these data suggest that the increase in ICER mRNA following SE may have a role in suppressing the severity of epilepsy...
- Increased GABA(A)-receptor alpha1-subunit expression in hippocampal dentate gyrus after early-life status epilepticusYogendraSinh H Raol
Division of Neurology, Pediatric Regional Epilepsy Program, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philapelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Epilepsia 47:1665-73. 2006..In the present study, we examined GABRA1 expression after SE at postnatal day 20 (P20), an intermediate age when only a subset of SE-exposed animals develop epilepsy...
- Seizures increase cell proliferation in the dentate gyrus by shortening progenitor cell-cycle lengthFlorence P Varodayan
Division of Neurology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Epilepsia 50:2638-47. 2009..Molecular mechanisms that regulate normal and pathologic cell birth in the dentate gyrus are poorly understood...
- Interictal EEG spikes identify the region of electrographic seizure onset in some, but not all, pediatric epilepsy patientsEric D Marsh
Division of Child Neurology, Department of Neurology and Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Epilepsia 51:592-601. 2010..Indeed, past studies suggest an inconsistent relationship between IED and seizure-onset location, although these studies were based upon relatively short EEG epochs...
- Aggrecan expression, a component of the inhibitory interneuron perineuronal net, is altered following an early-life seizurePaulette A McRae
Division of Neurology, Department of Pediatrics at the Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurobiol Dis 39:439-48. 2010..This study shows the dynamic nature of the PN component of the ECM and the role neuronal activity has in molding the extracellular milieu of inhibitory interneurons...
- Seizures and antiepileptic drugs: does exposure alter normal brain development?Eric D Marsh
Division of Child Neurology and Pediatric Regional Epilepsy Program, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Epilepsia 47:1999-2010. 2006..More research, both clinical and experimental, is needed before changes in current clinical practice, based on the scientific data, can be recommended...
- Status epilepticus differentially alters AMPA and kainate receptor subunit expression in mature and immature dentate granule neuronsBrenda E Porter
The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eur J Neurosci 23:2857-63. 2006....
- Comparison of novel computer detectors and human performance for spike detection in intracranial EEGMerritt W Brown
Division of Child Neurology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and Department of Neurology and Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 118:1744-52. 2007..Accurate automated spike detectors are necessary for understanding the role of spikes in epileptogenesis...
- Topiramate and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) as initial treatment for infantile spasmsBradley Peltzer
Division of Neurology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Child Neurol 24:400-5. 2009..Of the 19 patients treated with topiramate, 4 patients eventually, though over a period of 0, 1, 8, or 69 months, had resolution of spasms and hypsarrhythmia...
- CRE Mediated Transcription in EpileptogenesisBrenda E Porter; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will determine if blocking the increase in the regulatory proteins protects the animals from the development of epilepsy. In addition we will determine which genes these proteins regulate in epilepsy. ..
- Neurogenesis in Pediatric Temporal Lobe EpilepsyBRENDA PORTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies proposed will take place in the laboratories of Drs. Douglas Coulter and Amy Brooks-Kayal, at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This Award will facilitate my goal of a career in academic medicine. ..