E S Patterson
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Improving patient safety by identifying side effects from introducing bar coding in medication administrationEmily S Patterson
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:540-53. 2002..To identify potential accidents in the making, the authors looked for side effects from a natural experiment, the implementation of bar code medication administration (BCMA), a technology designed to reduce adverse drug events (ADEs)...
- Patient handoffs: standardized and reliable measurement tools remain elusiveEmily S Patterson
Health Information Management and Systems Division, Ohio State University Medical Center, School of Allied Medical Professions, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 36:52-61. 2010..Recognizing that there are simultaneously multiple purposes for handoffs is a critical precursor to quality improvement...
- Compliance with intended use of Bar Code Medication Administration in acute and long-term care: an observational studyEmily S Patterson
VA Getting at Patient Safety GAPS Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Hum Factors 48:15-22. 2006..To identify the types and extent of workaround strategies with the use of Bar Code Medication Administration (BCMA) in acute care and long-term care settings...
- Identifying barriers to the effective use of clinical reminders: bootstrapping multiple methodsEmily S Patterson
VA Getting at Patient Safety Center, VAMC Cincinnati, University of Cincinnati School of Medicine, USA
J Biomed Inform 38:189-99. 2005..We discuss potential implications regarding the similarities and differences in study findings for factors to consider in planning interventions to improve clinical reminder use...
- Comparison of extent of use, information accuracy, and functions for manual and electronic patient status boardsEmily S Patterson
Health Information Management and Systems Division, School of Allied Medical Professions, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Atwell Hall, Room 543, 453 W, 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, United States
Int J Med Inform 79:817-23. 2010..We compared extent of use, information accuracy, and functions of manual and electronic patient status boards at 2 EDs where both were continuously in use...
- Fifteen best practice recommendations for bar-code medication administration in the Veterans Health AdministrationEmily S Patterson
Getting at Patient Safety Center, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cincinnati, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 30:355-65. 2004..Based on VHA experience, 15 "best practices" for BCMA implementation, integration, and maintenance are recommended...
- Handoff strategies in settings with high consequences for failure: lessons for health care operationsEmily S Patterson
Veteran s Administration Getting at Patient Safety GAPS Center, Cincinnati, OH 43210, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 16:125-32. 2004..To describe strategies employed during handoffs in four settings with high consequences for failure...
- Human factors barriers to the effective use of ten HIV clinical remindersEmily S Patterson
VA Getting at Patient Safety Center, Cincinatti VAMC, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 11:50-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to identify human factors barriers to the use of these CRs...
- Shift changes, updates, and the on-call architecture in space shuttle mission controlE S Patterson
Institute for Ergonomics, Cognitive Systems Engineering Laboratory, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Comput Support Coop Work 10:317-46. 2001..Implications for mitigating risk in the transition to 'on-call' architectures are discussed...
- Impact of clinical reminder redesign on learnability, efficiency, usability, and workload for ambulatory clinic nursesJason J Saleem
Veterans Association Getting at Patient Safety GAPS Center, VAMC, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 14:632-40. 2007..These modifications were included in a redesign primarily to address barriers to effective CR use identified during a previous field study...
- Exploring barriers and facilitators to the use of computerized clinical remindersJason J Saleem
VA GAPS Center, Cincinnati VAMC, 3200 Vine Street, MDP 111, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 12:438-47. 2005..However, since clinician adherence to CR recommendations is quite variable and declines over time, we conducted observations to determine barriers and facilitators to the effective use of CRs...
- Understanding the complexity of registered nurse work in acute care settingsPatricia R Ebright
Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, Ind 46202 5107, USA
J Nurs Adm 33:630-8. 2003..Our findings suggest beginning targets for interventions to improve patient safety, as well as recruitment and retention, through support for registered nurse work...