Affiliation: The Forsyth Institute
- Caveat for a cumulative meta-analysisSok Ja Janket
J Dent Res 84:487; author reply 487. 2005
- Estimating MEDLINE's identification of randomized control trials in pediatric dentistryJulius Park
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 26:395-9. 2002..These results have implications for clinical decision making, the development of systematic reviews, insurance reimbursement, and teaching...
- Dental sealant knowledge, opinion, values and practice of Spanish dentistsLaura San Martin
School of Dentistry, University of Seville, Avicena s n, Seville, Spain
BMC Oral Health 13:12. 2013..This is a prelude to the generation of a regional plan for improving children's oral health in Andalusia...
- Sicily statement on classification and development of evidence-based practice learning assessment toolsJulie K Tilson
Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Med Educ 11:78. 2011....
- A systematic review of in vivo retrograde obturation materialsR Niederman
The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int Endod J 36:577-85. 2003..resection) and retrograde (root-end) obturation (filling), which retrograde obturation (root-end filling) material(s) is/are the most effective, as determined by reduction in periapical radiolucency and elimination of signs and symptoms?..
- Periodontal therapy using local delivery of antimicrobial agentsRichard Niederman
Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dent Clin North Am 46:665-77, viii. 2002..Applying this cost-benefit analysis to patient care, however, will depend upon a clinician's expertise and a patient's value system...
- Manual versus powered toothbrushes: the Cochrane reviewRichard Niederman
DSM Forsyth Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, The Forsyth Institute, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:1240-4. 2003..In a report released in January 2003, The Cochrane Collaboration Oral Health Group provided a systematic review of the effectiveness of powered versus manual toothbrushes, which generated much interest in the popular press...
- Evidence-based dentistry: concepts and implementationRichard Niederman
Forsyth Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA, USA
J Am Coll Dent 72:37-41. 2005....
- A model for extending the reach of the traditional dental practice: the ForsythKids programRichard Niederman
Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:1040-50. 2008..The authors describe and evaluate the short-term effectiveness of a community-based program for dental caries prevention in children...
- Infection-mediated early-onset periodontal disease in P/E-selectin-deficient miceR Niederman
Department of Cytokine Biology, Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:569-75. 2001..Increased susceptibility to periodontal disease is therefore thought to result from multiple risk factors...
- Oral epithelial overexpression of IL-1alpha causes periodontal diseaseS Dayan
Department of Cytokine Biology, The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Dent Res 83:786-90. 2004..Our findings therefore indicate that elevated levels of IL-1alpha in the oral micro-environment can mediate all of the clinical features of periodontal disease...
- Benchmarking the endodontic literature on MEDLINEM Y Kim
Office of Evidence-Based Dentistry, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Endod 27:470-3. 2001..The number of articles in each category increased by 1 to 3% each year. There were 150 articles/yr in endodontics in at least 120 journals cited on MEDLINE on which to base clinical decisions...
- Infection-stimulated infraosseus inflammation and bone destruction is increased in P-/E-selectin knockout miceN Kawashima
Department of Cytokine Biology, Forsyth Dental Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Immunology 97:117-23. 1999..These findings demonstrate that phagocytic leucocytes are protective in this model, and suggest that elevated expression of inflammatory cytokines is responsible for the observed bone destruction...
- A bibliometric analysis of the pediatric dental literature in MEDLINES Yang
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pediatr Dent 23:415-8. 2001..Furthermore, the volume of literature is increasing each year, making access even more difficult. These trends suggest the need for computer systems that will facilitate access and retrieval of clinically useful literature...
- Effectiveness of dentist-prescribed, home-applied tooth whitening. A meta analysisR Niederman
Office of Evidence Based Dentistry, Harvard School of Dental Medicine and Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Contemp Dent Pract 1:20-36. 2000..Common clinical experience suggests that tooth whitening agents are 100% effective. This study uses meta-analysis of data from published randomized controlled clinical trials to determine the efficacy of tooth whitening agents...
- Silver diamine fluoride: a caries "silver-fluoride bullet"A Rosenblatt
The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Dent Res 88:116-25. 2009..As well, the availability of a safe, effective, efficient, and equitable caries-preventive agent appears to meet the criteria of both the WHO Millennium Goals and the US Institute of Medicine's criteria for 21st century medical care...
- Preclinical restorative trainingMichael B Ferguson
Office of Dental Education, Restorative Department, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Dent Educ 66:1159-62. 2002..These results suggest that an abbreviated preclinical training is not only possible, but may make time available for training opportunities in other areas, such as aesthetic dental procedures and new biomaterials...
- Basic and clinical research: issues of cost, manpower needs, and infrastructurePhilip Stashenko
Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Dent Educ 66:927-38; discussion 939-41. 2002
- "Know what" and "know how": knowledge creation in clinical practiceRichard Niederman
J Dent Res 85:296-7. 2006
- Benchmarking the clinical prosthetic dental literature on MEDLINEKenichi Nishimura
School of Dental Medicine, Harvard University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Prosthet Dent 88:533-41. 2002..With literature or outcomes continually evolving, it is difficult to know how much information is available, how fast it changes, or where it is located...
- A systematic review of in vitro retrograde obturation materialsJoanna N Theodosopoulou
dsm Forsyth, Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, The Forsyth Institute, 140 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Endod 31:341-9. 2005..The results of these in vitro studies are not congruent with in vivo study results, suggesting a need to re-evaluate the clinical validity and importance of in vitro studies...
- Enhanced neutrophil emigration and Porphyromonas gingivalis reduction following PGG-glucan treatment of miceRichard Niederman
The Forsyth Institute, 140 Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Oral Biol 47:613-8. 2002..01). These results indicate that PGG-glucan significantly enhances neutrophil emigration and bacterial killing, thus decreasing the bacterial infection in this model system...
- Analysis of efficacy of functional appliances on mandibular growthJean Y Chen
Orthodontics, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 122:470-6. 2002..These results complement those of quasi-experimental studies with discriminant analysis but differ from nonsystematic reviews that provide qualitative summaries...
- International standards for clinical trial conduct and reportingRichard Niederman
J Dent Res 82:415-6. 2003
- TRADITIONAL & MEDICAL MODELS OF PERIODONTAL CARERichard Niederman; Fiscal Year: 2005..These points argue for a direct comparison of the medical and traditional model of care. ..