Affiliation: The Scripps Research Institute
- Nicolaou K, Safina B, Zak M, Estrada A, Lee S. Total synthesis of thiostrepton, part 1: construction of the dehydropiperidine/thiazoline-containing macrocycle. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2004;43:5087-92 pubmed
- Nicolaou K, Mathison C, Montagnon T. o-Iodoxybenzoic acid (IBX) as a viable reagent in the manipulation of nitrogen- and sulfur-containing substrates: scope, generality, and mechanism of IBX-mediated amine oxidations and dithiane deprotections. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:5192-201 pubmed..Further investigation of these transformations led to the elucidation of valuable mechanistic details, resulting in the conclusion that they proceed via ionic rather than single electron transfer (SET) pathways. ..
- Nicolaou K, Safina B, Zak M, Lee S, Nevalainen M, Bella M, et al. Total synthesis of thiostrepton. Retrosynthetic analysis and construction of key building blocks. J Am Chem Soc. 2005;127:11159-75 pubmed
- Nicolaou K, Frederick M, Burtoloso A, Denton R, Rivas F, Cole K, et al. Chemical Synthesis of the GHIJKLMNO Ring System of Maitotoxin. J Am Chem Soc. 2008;130:7466-76 pubmed publisher..The (13)C NMR chemical shifts of synthetic 3 matched closely those corresponding to the same domain of the natural product providing strong evidence for the correctness of the originally proposed structure of maitotoxin ( 1). ..
- Nicolaou K, Zak M, Safina B, Lee S, Estrada A. Total synthesis of thiostrepton, part 2: construction of the quinaldic acid macrocycle and final stages of the synthesis. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2004;43:5092-7 pubmed
- Nicolaou K, Zak M, Rahimipour S, Estrada A, Lee S, O Brate A, et al. Discovery of a biologically active thiostrepton fragment. J Am Chem Soc. 2005;127:15042-4 pubmed
- Nicolaou K. Inspirations, discoveries, and future perspectives in total synthesis. J Org Chem. 2009;74:951-72 pubmed publisher..Indeed, the advent of chemical synthesis as a whole must be considered as one of the most influential developments of the twentieth century in terms of its impact on society. ..
- Nicolaou K, Yu R, Shi L, Cai Q, Lu M, Heretsch P. General synthetic approach to functionalized dihydrooxepines. Org Lett. 2013;15:1994-7 pubmed publisher..This approach features a regioselective Baeyer-Villiger oxidation and subsequent functionalization via the corresponding enol phosphate intermediate. ..
- Nicolaou K, Snyder S, Nalbandian A, Longbottom D. A new method for the stereoselective synthesis of alpha- and beta-glycosylamines using the Burgess reagent. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:6234-5 pubmed..In this communication, we report an operationally simple method for the synthesis of both alpha- and beta-glycosylamines using the Burgess reagent that overcomes many of these limitations in a bare minimum of synthetic steps. ..
- Nicolaou K, Sasmal P, Roecker A, Sun X, Mandal S, Converso A. Studies toward the synthesis of azadirachtin, part 1: total synthesis of a fully functionalized ABC ring framework and coupling with a norbornene domain. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2005;44:3443-7 pubmed
- Nicolaou K, Valiulin R, Pokorski J, Chang V, Chen J. Bio-inspired synthesis and biological evaluation of a colchicine-related compound library. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012;22:3776-80 pubmed publisher..Biological evaluation revealed that some of the synthesized products had significant cytotoxic properties against the colon cancer cell line HT-29. ..
- Nicolaou K, Yang Z, Shi G, Gunzner J, Agrios K, Gartner P. Total synthesis of brevetoxin A. Nature. 1998;392:264-9 pubmed..The convergent synthesis reported here renders this scarce neurotoxin synthetically available and, more importantly, allows the design and synthesis of analogues for further biochemical studies. ..
- Nicolaou K, Adsool V, Hale C. An expedient procedure for the oxidative cleavage of olefinic bonds with PhI(OAc)2, NMO, and catalytic OsO4. Org Lett. 2010;12:1552-5 pubmed publisher..A more practical and clean protocol to effect oxidative cleavage of olefinic bonds involves NMO, OsO(4) (cat.), 2,6-lutidine, and PhI(OAc)(2)...
- Nicolaou K, Baran P. The CP molecule labyrinth: a paradigm of how endeavors in total synthesis lead to discoveries and inventions in organic synthesis. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2002;41:2678-720 pubmed