Robert A Mitchell
Affiliation: The Picower Institute for Medical Research
- Inhibition of MIF bioactivity by rational design of pharmacological inhibitors of MIF tautomerase activityAngeles Dios
The Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Med Chem 45:2410-6. 2002..The inhibitory activity of amino acid-benzaldehyde Schiff base-type MIF antagonists is the first step toward a meaningful structure/function analysis of inhibitors of MIF cellular bioactivities...
- A Leishmania ortholog of macrophage migration inhibitory factor modulates host macrophage responsesDaniela Kamir
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Immunol 180:8250-61. 2008..The ability of Lm1740MIF to inhibit apoptosis may facilitate the persistence of Leishmania within the macrophage and contribute to its evasion from immune destruction...
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) sustains macrophage proinflammatory function by inhibiting p53: regulatory role in the innate immune responseRobert A Mitchell
Picower Institute for Medical Research, New York, NY 11030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:345-50. 2002....
- IFN-gamma induces high mobility group box 1 protein release partly through a TNF-dependent mechanismBeatriz Rendon-Mitchell
Center of Immunology and Inflammation, North Shore Long Island Jewish Research Institute, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Immunol 170:3890-7. 2003..These data suggest that IFN-gamma plays an important role in the regulation of HMGB1 release through a TNF- and Janus kinase 2-dependent mechanism...
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor deficiency is associated with altered cell growth and reduced susceptibility to Ras-mediated transformationOleksi Petrenko
Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
J Biol Chem 278:11078-85. 2003..Our results demonstrate that MIF plays a role in an E2F/p53 pathway that operates downstream of Rb regulation and implicate MIF as a mediator of normal and malignant cell growth...
- Rho GTPase-dependent signaling is required for macrophage migration inhibitory factor-mediated expression of cyclin D1James D Swant
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Biol Chem 280:23066-72. 2005..These results suggest that MIF is an integral autocrine mediator of Rho GTPase-dependent signaling events and provide mechanistic insight into how MIF regulates proliferative, migratory, and oncogenic processes...
- Adhesion-dependent signaling by macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF)Hong Liao
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
J Biol Chem 278:76-81. 2003..These results suggest that MIF is an important autocrine mediator of adhesion-dependent signaling events and may provide mechanistic insight into how MIF regulates proliferative and oncogenic processes...
- Inhibition of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) tautomerase and biological activities by acetaminophen metabolitesPeter D Senter
The Picower Institute for Medical Research, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:144-9. 2002....
- Cooperative regulation of non-small cell lung carcinoma angiogenic potential by macrophage migration inhibitory factor and its homolog, D-dopachrome tautomeraseArlixer M Coleman
Microbiology and Immunology Program, School of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Immunol 181:2330-7. 2008..This is the first demonstration of a biological role for D-DT, and its synergism with MIF suggests that the combined therapeutic targeting of both family members may enhance current anti-MIF-based therapies...
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor manipulation and evaluation in tumoral hypoxic adaptationMillicent Winner
Molecular Targets Program, JG Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Methods Enzymol 435:355-69. 2007..As the importance of MIF in hypoxic adaptation of human tumors is now becoming fully realized, we review protocols designed to evaluate MIF expression, activity, and functional consequences in hypoxic environments...
- The proinflammatory cytokine macrophage migration inhibitory factor regulates glucose metabolism during systemic inflammationToshiya Atsumi
Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Immunol 179:5399-406. 2007..Genetic MIF deficiency also promotes adipogenesis, which is in accord with a downstream role for MIF in the action of TNF-alpha. These studies support an important role for MIF in host glucose metabolism during sepsis...
- Regulation of human lung adenocarcinoma cell migration and invasion by macrophage migration inhibitory factorBeatriz E Rendon
Molecular Targets Program, J G Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Biol Chem 282:29910-8. 2007....
- Amplification of tumor hypoxic responses by macrophage migration inhibitory factor-dependent hypoxia-inducible factor stabilizationMillicent Winner
Molecular Targets Program, James Graham Brown Cancer Center and Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Louisville, 580 South Preston Street, Louisville, KY, USA
Cancer Res 67:186-93. 2007..This functional interdependence between HIF-1alpha and MIF may represent an important and previously unrecognized pro-tumorigenic axis...
- Mechanisms and effectors of MIF-dependent promotion of tumourigenesisRobert A Mitchell
James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Baxter II Research Building, 580 S Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Cell Signal 16:13-9. 2004..This review will focus on recently characterized phenotypes and mechanistic effectors thought to be associated with MIF-dependent promotion of neoplastic processes and discuss their relative importance in carcinogenesis...
- MIF signal transduction initiated by binding to CD74Lin Leng
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, P O Box 208031, New Haven, CT 06520 8031, USA
J Exp Med 197:1467-76. 2003..These data provide a molecular basis for MIF's interaction with target cells and identify it as a natural ligand for CD74, which has been implicated previously in signaling and accessory functions for immune cell activation...
- A novel, macrophage migration inhibitory factor suicide substrate inhibits motility and growth of lung cancer cellsMillicent Winner
Molecular Targets Program, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Cancer Res 68:7253-7. 2008..Finally, using an in silico combinatorial optimization strategy, we have identified four unique congeners of 4-IPP that exhibit MIF inhibitory activity at concentrations 10x to 20x lower than that of parental 4-IPP...