Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Nutrition influences skeletal development from childhood to adulthood: a study of hip, spine, and forearm in adolescent femalesVelimir Matkovic
Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center, Departments of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medicine, and Nutrition, Davis Medical Research Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Nutr 134:701S-705S. 2004..Calcium exerts its action on bone accretion during growth primarily by influencing volumetric bone mineral density while milk may have an additional impact on bone growth and periosteal bone expansion...
- Calcium supplementation and bone mineral density in females from childhood to young adulthood: a randomized controlled trialVelimir Matkovic
Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center, the Bone and Mineral Metabolism Laboratory, Davis Medical Research Center and Veterinary Biosciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 81:175-88. 2005..Short-term studies established that calcium influences bone accretion during growth. Whether long-term supplementation influences bone accretion in young adults is not known...
- Selenium intakes, absorption, retention, and status in adolescent girlsDavid H Holben
Department of Human Nutrition and Food Management, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:1082-7. 2002..To assess selenium intakes, absorption, retention, and status in healthy adolescent girls and the effect of calcium supplementation on selenium parameters...
- Calcium needs in childrenNancy Badenhop-Stevens
Bone and Mineral Metabolism Laboratory, Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Orthop Nurs 23:228-32; quiz 233-4. 2004..Most children and teenagers do not meet these requirements; therefore, there is a strong need to influence their behavior to consume foods rich in calcium...
- Calcium and dairy product modulation of lipid utilization and energy expenditureDorothy Teegarden
Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1566-72. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of dietary calcium or dairy product intake on total energy expenditure (TEE), fat oxidation, and thermic effect of a meal (TEM) during a weight loss trial...
- Potential use of biochemical markers of bone turnover for assessing the effect of calcium supplementation and predicting fracture riskSteven M Weisman
Innovative Science Solutions, Morristown, New Jersey 07960, USA
Clin Ther 27:299-308. 2005..Nonetheless, their usefulness in determining the effectiveness of osteoporosis prevention and treatment, particularly calcium supplementation, has not been well established...
- A comparison of fatigue failure responses of old versus middle-aged lumbar motion segments in simulated flexed liftingSean Gallagher
NIOSH Pittsburgh Research Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA 15236 0070, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1832-9. 2007..Survival analysis techniques were used to compare the fatigue failure responses of elderly motion segments to a middle-aged sample...