Jeanne F Loring
Affiliation: The Burnham Institute
- Transcriptome coexpression map of human embryonic stem cellsHuai Li
Bioinformatics Unit, Branch of Research Resources, National Institute on Aging, NIH, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
BMC Genomics 7:103. 2006..However, no systematic analysis has yet addressed whether gene expression in human ES cells may be regulated in chromosomal domains, and no chromosomal domains of coexpression have been identified...
- Genome wide profiling of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs), their derivatives and embryonal carcinoma cells to develop base profiles of U.S. Federal government approved hESC linesYing Liu
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
BMC Dev Biol 6:20. 2006....
- A molecular scheme for improved characterization of human embryonic stem cell linesRichard Josephson
Stem Cell Center, American Type Culture Collection ATCC, Manassas, VA, USA
BMC Biol 4:28. 2006..However, hESC must be routinely analyzed at the genomic level to guard against deleterious changes during extensive propagation, expansion, and manipulation in vitro...
- Science and law. Intellectual property and human embryonic stem cell researchJeanne F Loring
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 311:1716-7. 2006
- Evolution of microarray analysisJeanne F Loring
The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Neurobiol Aging 27:1084-6. 2006....
- Establishing standards for the characterization of human embryonic stem cell linesJeanne F Loring
Stem Cell Center, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Stem Cells 24:145-50. 2006..We expect that as data accumulate and standards evolve, a core set of tests will become the norm for routine assessment of hESC cultures and that these tests will lay the groundwork for clinical applications of these cells...
- Recurrent variations in DNA methylation in human pluripotent stem cells and their differentiated derivativesKristopher L Nazor
Center for Regenerative Medicine, Department of Chemical Physiology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Stem Cell 10:620-34. 2012....
- Regulatory networks define phenotypic classes of human stem cell linesFranz Josef Muller
Center for Regenerative Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 455:401-5. 2008..Our results offer a new strategy for classifying stem cells and support the idea that pluripotency and self-renewal are under tight control by specific molecular networks...
- Conversion of human fibroblasts to angioblast-like progenitor cellsLeo Kurian
Gene Expression Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Methods 10:77-83. 2013..This methodology for indirect lineage conversion to angioblast-like cells adds to the armamentarium of reprogramming approaches aimed at the study and treatment of ischemic pathologies...
- Specific lectin biomarkers for isolation of human pluripotent stem cells identified through array-based glycomic analysisYu Chieh Wang
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Chemical Physiology, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Res 21:1551-63. 2011....
- Comprehensive microRNA profiling reveals a unique human embryonic stem cell signature dominated by a single seed sequenceLouise C Laurent
The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Stem Cells 26:1506-16. 2008..We propose that miRNAs are coordinately controlled in hESCs, and are key regulators of pluripotence and differentiation. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Dynamic changes in the copy number of pluripotency and cell proliferation genes in human ESCs and iPSCs during reprogramming and time in cultureLouise C Laurent
Department of Reproductive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell Stem Cell 8:106-18. 2011..Our results illustrate the dynamic nature of genomic abnormalities in pluripotent stem cells and the need for frequent genomic monitoring to assure phenotypic stability and clinical safety...
- The functions of microRNAs in pluripotency and reprogrammingTrevor R Leonardo
Department of Chemical Physiology, The Scripps Research Institute and the Center for Regenerative Medicine, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Cell Biol 14:1114-21. 2012..Detailed studies of miRNAs and their targets in PSCs should help to parse the regulatory networks that underlie developmental processes and cellular reprogramming...
- Cryopreservation by slow cooling with DMSO diminished production of Oct-4 pluripotency marker in human embryonic stem cellsIgor I Katkov
UCSD Cancer Center, San Diego, CA 92122, USA Stem Cell Center Core, Burnham Institute for Medical Research BIMR, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cryobiology 53:194-205. 2006..It is concluded that new protocols and media are required for freezing hESC and safe storage at -80 degrees C as well as studies of the mechanisms of stress-related events associated with cell cryopreservation...
- Gene therapy: can neural stem cells deliver?Franz Josef Muller
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 7:75-84. 2006..Here, we speculate on the ways in which neural stem cells might be exploited as delivery vehicles for gene therapy in the CNS...
- Adhesive interactions between human neural stem cells and inflamed human vascular endothelium are mediated by integrinsFranz Josef Mueller
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Stem Cells 24:2367-72. 2006....
- A call to standardize teratoma assays used to define human pluripotent cell linesFranz Josef Muller
Department of Chemical Physiology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Stem Cell 6:412-4. 2010..However, reports of new human ESC and iPSC lines vary widely in both methods and analysis of teratoma data. We call for consensus standards to be established to make this assay worthy of its "golden" status...
- Beyond fraud--stem-cell research continuesEvan Y Snyder
Stem Cell Resource in the Program in Stem Cells and Regeneration, Developmental and Regenerative Cell Biology, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, Calif, USA
N Engl J Med 354:321-4. 2006
- Genomic instability in pluripotent stem cells: implications for clinical applicationsSuzanne E Peterson
From the Department of Chemical Physiology and Center for Regenerative Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037
J Biol Chem 289:4578-84. 2014..To minimize any effects of acquired mutations on cell therapy, we strongly recommend that cells destined for transplant be monitored throughout their preparation using a high-resolution method such as SNP genotyping. ..
- BMP4-directed trophoblast differentiation of human embryonic stem cells is mediated through a ΔNp63+ cytotrophoblast stem cell stateYingchun Li
Department of Pathology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Development 140:3965-76. 2013....
- Preparation of autogenic human feeder cells for growth of human embryonic stem cellsRodolfo Gonzalez
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol . 2008..Curr. Protoc. Stem Cell Biol. 4:1C.5.1-1C.5.15. (c) 2008 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc...
- Protein post-translational modifications and regulation of pluripotency in human stem cellsYu Chieh Wang
Department of Chemical Physiology, Center for Regenerative Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Res 24:143-60. 2014..This review addresses recent progress toward understanding the role of PTMs (glycosylation, phosphorylation, acetylation and methylation) in the regulation of cellular pluripotency. ..
- Ethnically diverse pluripotent stem cells for drug developmentEyitayo S Fakunle
Department of Chemical Physiology, Center for Regenerative Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Trends Mol Med 18:709-16. 2012..Here, we discuss the benefits and challenges of using iPSCs to introduce genetic diversity into the drug development process...
- Friedreich's ataxia induced pluripotent stem cells model intergenerational GAA⋅TTC triplet repeat instabilitySherman Ku
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Stem Cell 7:631-7. 2010....
- A role for stem cell biology in the physiological and pathological aspects of agingEvan Y Snyder
Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:S287-91. 2005..Therefore, stem cells may be used for cell replacement, for therapeutic interventions, and potentially to modify aging...
- The ACTCellerate initiative: large-scale combinatorial cloning of novel human embryonic stem cell derivativesMichael D West
BioTime, Inc, Alameda, CA 94502, USA
Regen Med 3:287-308. 2008..All hEP lines studied appear to have a finite replicative lifespan but have longer telomeres than most fetal- or adult-derived cells, thereby facilitating their use in the manufacture of purified lineages for research and human therapy...
- Selectively reduced expression of synaptic plasticity-related genes in amyloid precursor protein + presenilin-1 transgenic miceChad A Dickey
Alzheimer s Disease Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Neurosci 23:5219-26. 2003..This suggests that the memory loss in APP+PS1 transgenic mice may model the early memory dysfunction in AD before the degeneration of synapses and neurons...
- Assessing self-renewal and differentiation in human embryonic stem cell linesJingli Cai
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 24:516-30. 2006..We show that qPCR, with as few as 12 selected genes, can reliably distinguish differentiated cells from undifferentiated hESC populations...
- NTera2: a model system to study dopaminergic differentiation of human embryonic stem cellsCatherine M Schwartz
Gerontology Research Center, Stem Cell Biology Unit, Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Stem Cells Dev 14:517-34. 2005..Therefore, NTera2 cell dopaminergic neuronal differentiation and PSA-NCAM enrichment provides a useful system for the future study of hESCs...
- Human embryonic stem cells have a unique epigenetic signatureMarina Bibikova
Illumina, Inc, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Genome Res 16:1075-83. 2006..Our results indicate that hES cells have a unique epigenetic signature that may contribute to their developmental potential...
- Unraveling epigenetic regulation in embryonic stem cellsMarina Bibikova
Illumina, Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Cell Stem Cell 2:123-34. 2008..Understanding the interactions among these factors will be critical to the development of improved strategies to reprogram differentiated cells or direct differentiation of pluripotent cells...
- Isolation of human embryonic stem cell-derived teratomas for the assessment of pluripotencyKarin Gertow
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Research Center, Unit for Molecular Embryology, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol . 2007..Teratomas can also be fixed in Bouin's or cryosectioned for analysis, and they can be analyzed by immunohistochemistry for tissue markers. Methods for these procedures are included in this unit...
- Differentiation of neural lineage cells from human pluripotent stem cellsPhilip H Schwartz
Center for Translational Research, Children s Hospital of Orange County Research Institute, 455 South Main Street, Orange, CA 92868 3874, USA
Methods 45:142-58. 2008..In addition, we evaluate data comparing and contrasting neural stem cells differentiated from human pluripotent stem cells with those derived directly from the human brain...
- Complexity of inflammatory responses in endothelial cells and vascular smooth muscle cells determined by microarray analysisOlga Bandman
Incyte Genomics, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 975:77-90. 2002....
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells: Comprehensive Training ProgramJeanne Loring; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 4: Feedback and follow-up: obtain information from students that will improve the course. For this training course, we will use NIH Registry lines WA09 and WA01, BG01, BG03, TE06, and possibly others from the Registry list. ..