Steven H Lin
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Fang P, Musall B, Son J, Moreno A, Hobbs B, Carter B, et al. Multimodal Imaging of Pathologic Response to Chemoradiation in Esophageal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018;102:996-1001 pubmed publisher..Validation of these data in larger, prospective, multicenter studies is essential. ..
- Goense L, Merrell K, Arnett A, Hallemeier C, Meijer G, Ruurda J, et al. Validation of a Nomogram Predicting Survival After Trimodality Therapy for Esophageal Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018;106:1541-1547 pubmed publisher..The current validated model may enable risk-stratified adjuvant treatment allocation and identify patients in need of routine surveillance after treatment. ..
- Lin S, Komaki R, Liao Z, Wei C, Myles B, Guo X, et al. Proton beam therapy and concurrent chemotherapy for esophageal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;83:e345-51 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that this modality is associated with a few severe toxicities, but the pathologic response and clinical outcomes are encouraging. Prospective comparison with more traditional approach is warranted. ..
- He L, Chapple A, Liao Z, Komaki R, Thall P, Lin S. Bayesian regression analyses of radiation modality effects on pericardial and pleural effusion and survival in esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2016;121:70-74 pubmed publisher..99), after controlling for known clinical prognostic factors. IMRT reduces the incidence and postpones the onset of PCE and PE, and increases survival probability, compared to 3DCRT. ..
- Barua S, Fang P, Sharma A, Fujimoto J, Wistuba I, Rao A, et al. Spatial interaction of tumor cells and regulatory T cells correlates with survival in non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2018;117:73-79 pubmed publisher..Validation of the G-cross method of measuring spatial proximity between tumor and immune cell types and exploration of its use as a prognostic factor in lung cancer treatment is warranted. ..
- Verma V, Moreno A, Lin S. Advances in Radiotherapy Management of Esophageal Cancer. J Clin Med. 2016;5: pubmed..We further discuss existing data and the potential for further development in the future, with an appraisal of the future outlook of technological advancements of RT for EC. ..
- Wang Y, Liu H, Diao L, Potter A, Zhang J, Qiao Y, et al. Hsp90 Inhibitor Ganetespib Sensitizes Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer to Radiation but Has Variable Effects with Chemoradiation. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:5876-5886 pubmed..For optimal clinical translation, our data emphasize the importance of preclinical testing of drugs in the context of clinically relevant therapy combinations. Clin Cancer Res; 22(23); 5876-86. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Chuong M, Hallemeier C, Jabbour S, Yu J, Badiyan S, Merrell K, et al. Improving Outcomes for Esophageal Cancer using Proton Beam Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;95:488-97 pubmed publisher..We also consider the potential cost-effectiveness of PBT relative to photon RT. ..
- Fang P, Jiang W, Davuluri R, Xu C, Krishnan S, Mohan R, et al. High lymphocyte count during neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy is associated with improved pathologic complete response in esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2018;128:584-590 pubmed publisher..77 per Gy, 95%CI 0.70-0.84, p < 0.001). A higher ALC level during nCRT is associated with a higher rate of pCR for esophageal cancer patients undergoing trimodality therapy. ..
- Moreno A, Haque W, Verma V, Fang P, Lin S. Concurrent Versus Sequential Chemoradiation Therapy in Completely Resected Pathologic N2 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Propensity-Matched Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018;25:1245-1253 pubmed publisher..Toxicity-related factors may help to explain these results but need to be better addressed in further investigations. Differential sequencing of sCRT did not appear to affect survival. ..
- Xi M, Xu C, Liao Z, Chang J, Gomez D, Jeter M, et al. Comparative Outcomes After Definitive Chemoradiotherapy Using Proton Beam Therapy Versus Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy for Esophageal Cancer: A Retrospective, Single-Institutional Analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:667-676 pubmed publisher..Compared with IMRT, PBT might be associated with improved OS, PFS, and LRFFS, especially in EC patients with locally advanced disease. These results need confirmation by prospective studies. ..
- Verma V, Lin S. Implications of the Bystander and Abscopal Effects of Radiation Therapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:4763-4765 pubmed..Clin Cancer Res; 22(19); 4763-5. ©2016 AACRSee related article by Siva et al., p. 4817. ..
- Xi M, Liao Z, Deng W, Komaki R, Ho L, Lin S. Recursive Partitioning Analysis Identifies Pretreatment Risk Groups for the Utility of Induction Chemotherapy Before Definitive Chemoradiation Therapy in Esophageal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:407-416 pubmed publisher..009). The RPA prognostic grouping provides a useful method of selecting high-risk EC patients who may benefit from IC before receiving dCRT. Prospective validation is warranted. ..
- Shiraishi Y, Fang P, Xu C, Song J, Krishnan S, Koay E, et al. Severe lymphopenia during neoadjuvant chemoradiation for esophageal cancer: A propensity matched analysis of the relative risk of proton versus photon-based radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol. 2018;128:154-160 pubmed publisher..29; 95% confidence interval, 0.16-0.52; P < 0.0001). PBT is associated with significant risk reduction in grade 4 lymphopenia during nCRT in esophageal cancer. ..
- Shiraishi Y, Xu C, Yang J, Komaki R, Lin S. Dosimetric comparison to the heart and cardiac substructure in a large cohort of esophageal cancer patients treated with proton beam therapy or Intensity-modulated radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol. 2017;125:48-54 pubmed publisher..Long-term studies are necessary to determine how this cardiac sparing effect impacts the development of coronary artery disease and other cardiac complications. ..
- Xi M, Xu C, Liao Z, Hofstetter W, Blum Murphy M, Maru D, et al. The impact of histology on recurrence patterns in esophageal cancer treated with definitive chemoradiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2017;124:318-324 pubmed publisher..12). The patterns and sites of recurrence, survival outcomes, and prognostic factors were significantly different between esophageal SCC and adenocarcinoma. ..
- Xu C, Xi M, Moreno A, Shiraishi Y, Hobbs B, Huang M, et al. Definitive Chemoradiation Therapy for Esophageal Cancer in the Elderly: Clinical Outcomes for Patients Exceeding 80Â Years Old. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:811-819 pubmed publisher..Understanding the prognostic risk factors of pulmonary toxicity after CCRT may effectuate improved long-term outcomes for elderly population. ..
- Xi M, Liao Z, Hofstetter W, Komaki R, Ho L, Lin S. 18F-FDG PET Response After Induction Chemotherapy Can Predict Who Will Benefit from Subsequent Esophagectomy After Chemoradiotherapy for Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1756-1763 pubmed publisher..However, outcomes for 18F-FDG PET responders were similar after either treatment (BMT or TMT). Prospective validation of these findings is warranted. ..
- Lin S, Merrell K, Shen J, Verma V, Correa A, Wang L, et al. Multi-institutional analysis of radiation modality use and postoperative outcomes of neoadjuvant chemoradiation for esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2017;123:376-381 pubmed publisher..Ongoing prospective randomized trial will be needed to validate these results. ..
- Moreno A, Verma V, Hofstetter W, Lin S. Patterns of Care and Treatment Outcomes of Elderly Patients with Stage I Esophageal Cancer: Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. J Thorac Oncol. 2017;12:1152-1160 pubmed publisher..Despite high rates of Obs, careful consideration of all local therapy options is warranted, given the improved outcomes with treatment. ..
- Fang P, Swanick C, Pezzi T, Liao Z, Welsh J, Lin S, et al. Outcomes and toxicity following high-dose radiation therapy in 15 fractions for non-small cell lung cancer. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017;7:433-441 pubmed publisher..AHRT in 15 fractions can be safe and effective. Consideration for using AHRT with immunotherapy and sequential chemotherapy for improved out-of-radiation field and distant control is warranted. ..
- Verma V, Simone C, Allen P, Lin S. Outcomes of Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy for T1-T2N0 Small Cell Carcinoma According to Addition of Chemotherapy and Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation: A Multicenter Analysis. Clin Lung Cancer. 2017;18:675-681.e1 pubmed publisher..0%), and elsewhere in the lung (20.8%). The median time to each was 5 to 7 months. Patients undergoing primary SBRT for T1-T2N0 SCLC should also undergo additional chemotherapy. No established role was found for PCI in this population. ..
- Xi M, Liao Z, Deng W, Xu C, Komaki R, Blum M, et al. A Prognostic Scoring Model for the Utility of Induction Chemotherapy Prior to Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy in Esophageal Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2017;12:1001-1010 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the prognostic scoring model, the addition of IC to nCRT may provide a DFS benefit in high-risk patients with a risk score higher than 3.5. Prospective validation is warranted. ..
- Verma V, Simone C, Allen P, Gajjar S, Shah C, Zhen W, et al. Multi-Institutional Experience of Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy for Stage I Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;97:362-371 pubmed publisher..0%) and "elsewhere lung" (20.8%). The median time to each was 5 to 7 months. From the findings of the largest report of SABR for stage T1-T2N0 SCLC to date, SABR (?50 Gy) with chemotherapy should be considered a standard option. ..
- Lin S, Wang J, Saintigny P, Wu C, Giri U, Zhang J, et al. Genes suppressed by DNA methylation in non-small cell lung cancer reveal the epigenetics of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:1079 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the underlying biology of genes regulated by DNA methylation may have predictive value in lung cancer that can be exploited therapeutically. ..
- Wang Y, Gudikote J, Giri U, Yan J, Deng W, Ye R, et al. RAD50 Expression Is Associated with Poor Clinical Outcomes after Radiotherapy for Resected Non-small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2018;24:341-350 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusions: Upregulated RAD50 may be a predictor of radioresistance in patients with lung cancer who received radiotherapy. Clin Cancer Res; 24(2); 341-50. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Davuluri R, Jiang W, Fang P, Xu C, Komaki R, Gomez D, et al. Lymphocyte Nadir and Esophageal Cancer Survival Outcomes After Chemoradiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:128-135 pubmed publisher..This observation provides a rationale to prospectively test chemotherapeutic and radiation treatment strategies that may have a lower impact on host immunity. ..
- Goense L, van Rossum P, Xi M, Maru D, Carter B, Meijer G, et al. Preoperative Nomogram to Risk Stratify Patients for the Benefit of Trimodality Therapy in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018;25:1598-1607 pubmed publisher..302). The proposed nomogram estimates early recurrence risk. The addition of surgery to CRT provides a clear OS benefit in low-risk patients. The OS benefit of surgery in high-risk patients is less pronounced. ..
- van Rossum P, Fried D, Zhang L, Hofstetter W, Ho L, Meijer G, et al. The value of 18F-FDG PET before and after induction chemotherapy for the early prediction of a poor pathologic response to subsequent preoperative chemoradiotherapy in oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:71-80 pubmed..As such, the early 18F-FDG PET response after induction chemotherapy could aid in individualizing treatment by modification or withdrawal of subsequent preoperative CRT in poor responders. ..