D Chichung Lie
Affiliation: The Salk Institute
- Neurogenesis in the adult brain: new strategies for central nervous system diseasesD Chichung Lie
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 44:399-421. 2004..Here, we summarize our current understanding of the mechanisms controlling adult neurogenesis and discuss their implications for the development of new strategies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases...
- New regulators in adult neurogenesis and their potential role for repairRavi Jagasia
Institute of Developmental Genetics, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Trends Mol Med 12:400-5. 2006..Here, we discuss recent findings on the regulatory mechanisms that underlie neurogenesis from neural stem cells in the adult hippocampus and the implications of these findings for future stem-cell-based repair strategies...
- Signaling through BMPR-IA regulates quiescence and long-term activity of neural stem cells in the adult hippocampusHelena Mira
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Stem Cell 7:78-89. 2010..BMPs are therefore required to balance NSC quiescence/proliferation and to prevent loss of the stem cell activity that supports continuous neurogenesis in the mature hippocampus...
- Cdk5 regulates accurate maturation of newborn granule cells in the adult hippocampusSebastian Jessberger
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS Biol 6:e272. 2008..The data presented here also suggest a mechanistic dissociation between accurate dendritic targeting and subsequent synapse formation...
- Retinoic acid is required early during adult neurogenesis in the dentate gyrusSharoni Jacobs
Gene Expression Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3902-7. 2006..Our results reveal RA as a crucial contributor to early stages of adult neurogenesis and survival in vivo...
- Dentate gyrus-specific knockdown of adult neurogenesis impairs spatial and object recognition memory in adult ratsSebastian Jessberger
Laboratory of Genetics, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Learn Mem 16:147-54. 2009....
- The adult substantia nigra contains progenitor cells with neurogenic potentialD Chichung Lie
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 22:6639-49. 2002..This developmental potential of SN progenitor cells might be useful for future endogenous cell replacement strategies in Parkinson's disease...
- Mutant alpha-synuclein exacerbates age-related decrease of neurogenesisBeate Winner
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Universitaetsstr 84, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Neurobiol Aging 29:913-25. 2008..The impaired neurogenesis in the olfactory bulb of different transgenic alpha-synuclein mice during aging highlights the need to further explore the interplay between olfactory dysfunction and neurogenesis in Parkinson disease...
- Human wild-type alpha-synuclein impairs neurogenesisBeate Winner
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 63:1155-66. 2004..We hypothesize that reduced adult neurogenesis in the olfactory bulb may contribute to olfactory deficits in neurodegenerative disorders associated with alpha-synuclein inclusions...