S E Levy
Affiliation: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Children with autistic spectrum disorders. I: comparison of placebo and single dose of human synthetic secretinS E Levy
Division of Child Development and Rehabilitation, Children s Seashore House of The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Dis Child 88:731-6. 2003....
- The role of nurses in screening for autistic spectrum disorder in pediatric primary careJennifer A Pinto-Martin
Division of Biobehavioral Health Sciences, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 20:163-9. 2005..The authors discuss the role of nurses in establishing systems within pediatric primary care to identify and refer children at risk for ASD...
- Autism spectrum disorder and co-occurring developmental, psychiatric, and medical conditions among children in multiple populations of the United StatesSusan E Levy
The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 31:267-75. 2010..Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) often co-occur with other developmental, psychiatric, neurologic, or medical diagnoses...
- AutismSusan E Levy
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Center for Autism Research, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Lancet 374:1627-38. 2009..Further knowledge about early identification, neurobiology of autism, effective treatments, and the effect of this disorder on families is needed...
- Complementary and alternative medicine treatments for children with autism spectrum disordersSusan E Levy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 3405 Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 17:803-20, ix. 2008..Most treatments have not been adequately studied and do not have evidence to support their use...
- Relationship of dietary intake to gastrointestinal symptoms in children with autistic spectrum disordersSusan E Levy
Division of Child Development and Rehabilitation, Children s Seashore House of The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:492-7. 2007..The purpose of this study was to 1) describe dietary intake of a cohort of children with ASD compared with normative data and 2) determine whether GI symptoms and stool consistency are related to dietary intake...
- Novel treatments for autistic spectrum disordersSusan E Levy
Children s Seashore House, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 1914, USA
Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 11:131-42. 2005..Families and clinicians need access to well-designed clinical evidence to assist them in choice of therapies...
- Children with autistic spectrum disorders. II: parents are unable to distinguish secretin from placebo under double-blind conditionsJ Coplan
Division of Child Development and Rehabilitation, Children's Seashore House of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Dis Child 88:737-9. 2003..CONCLUSION: In a controlled setting, parents of young children with autism are unable to distinguish the short term behavioural effects of secretin from placebo...
- Use of complementary and alternative treatments for children with autistic spectrum disorders is increasingSusan E Levy
Division of Child Development and Rehabilitation, Children's Seashore House, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, PA, USA
Pediatr Ann 32:685-91. 2003..Practitioners must keep avenues of communication open, remain open-minded, and not assume a "don't ask, don't tell" posture in the context of providing a medical home to the increasing number of children diagnosed with autism...
- Electrophysiological signatures: magnetoencephalographic studies of the neural correlates of language impairment in autism spectrum disordersTimothy P L Roberts
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Int J Psychophysiol 68:149-60. 2008..These findings offer promise for the comprehensive assessment of developmental neuropsychiatric disorders...
- Developmental correlation of diffusion anisotropy with auditory-evoked responseTimothy P L Roberts
Lurie Family Foundations MEG Imaging Center, Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Neuroreport 20:1586-91. 2009....
- Sleep behaviors and sleep quality in children with autism spectrum disordersMargaret C Souders
Center for Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing and School of Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Center for Autism Research, 3535 Market Street, Room 835, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Sleep 32:1566-78. 2009....
- MEG detection of delayed auditory evoked responses in autism spectrum disorders: towards an imaging biomarker for autismTimothy P L Roberts
Department of Radiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th St and Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Autism Res 3:8-18. 2010..Given similar findings in language impaired and non-language impaired ASD subjects, a right-hemisphere M100 latency delay appears to be an electrophysiological endophenotype for autism...
- Disparities in diagnoses received prior to a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorderDavid S Mandell
Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities Research and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 37:1795-802. 2007..Differences in diagnostic patterns by ethnicity suggest possible variations in parents' descriptions of symptoms, clinician interpretations and expectations, or symptom presentation...
- Caring for children and adolescents with autism who require challenging proceduresMargaret C Souders
Regional Autism Center, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Pediatr Nurs 28:555-62. 2002..The nurse can develop a plan of care to achieve the goals of the visit and optimize the quality of the care for the child and family. Interventions presented can be individualized to each child...
- Autism genome-wide copy number variation reveals ubiquitin and neuronal genesJoseph T Glessner
Center for Applied Genomics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nature 459:569-73. 2009....
- Common genetic variants on 5p14.1 associate with autism spectrum disordersKai Wang
Center for Applied Genomics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nature 459:528-33. 2009..Our results implicate neuronal cell-adhesion molecules in the pathogenesis of ASDs, and represent, to our knowledge, the first demonstration of genome-wide significant association of common variants with susceptibility to ASDs...
- Screening strategies for autism spectrum disorders in pediatric primary careJennifer A Pinto-Martin
Biobehavioral and Health Sciences Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 29:345-50. 2008..The relative yield of these two strategies has not been examined...
- Race differences in the age at diagnosis among medicaid-eligible children with autismDavid S Mandell
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:1447-53. 2002..To examine racial differences in the age at which Medicaid-eligible children first receive an autistic disorder (AD) diagnosis and to examine time in mental health treatment until an AD diagnosis was received...
- The epidemiology of autism spectrum disordersCraig J Newschaffer
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 28:235-58. 2007....
- Intervention pilot for parents of children with autistic spectrum disorderEllen Giarelli
University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Pediatr Nurs 31:389-99. 2005....
- Evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of gastrointestinal disorders in individuals with ASDs: a consensus reportTimothy Buie
Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pediatrics 125:S1-18. 2010..For these patients, integration of behavioral and medical care may be most beneficial. Priorities for future research are identified to advance our understanding and management of gastrointestinal disorders in persons with ASDs...
- Identifying children with autism early?Vidya Bhushan Gupta
New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York, USA
Pediatrics 119:152-3. 2007
- Introduction: novel therapies in developmental disabilities--hope, reason, and evidenceSusan L Hyman
Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities, Golisano Children s Hospital at Strong, University of Rochester School of Medicine, New York 14642, USA
Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 11:107-9. 2005....
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine among children recently diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorderSusan E Levy
Regional Autism Center, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 24:418-23. 2003..The high prevalence of CAM use among a recently diagnosed sample indicates that clinicians should discuss CAM early in the assessment process...