Genomes and Genes
Gabriel C Lander
Affiliation: The Scripps Research Institute
- Conformational switching of the 26S proteasome enables substrate degradationMary E Matyskiela
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 20:781-8. 2013..Notably, Rpn11 moves from an occluded position to directly above the central pore, thus facilitating substrate deubiquitination concomitant with translocation. ..
- The proteasome under the microscope: the regulatory particle in focusGabriel C Lander
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Curr Opin Struct Biol 23:243-51. 2013..We discuss the biological insights into substrate processing provided by these structures, and the technical hurdles ahead to achieve an atomic resolution structure of the 26 proteasome...
- Complete subunit architecture of the proteasome regulatory particleGabriel C Lander
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 482:186-91. 2012..We provide a structural basis for the ability of the proteasome to degrade a diverse set of substrates and thus regulate vital cellular processes...
- Structures of the RNA-guided surveillance complex from a bacterial immune systemBlake Wiedenheft
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 477:486-9. 2011..This conformational rearrangement may serve as a signal that recruits a trans-acting nuclease (Cas3) for destruction of invading nucleic-acid sequences...
- Peering down the barrel of a bacteriophage portal: the genome packaging and release valve in p22Jinghua Tang
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0378, USA
Structure 19:496-502. 2011....
- Go hybrid: EM, crystallography, and beyondGabriel C Lander
Life Science Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Curr Opin Struct Biol 22:627-35. 2012..Since structural studies generally only provide snapshots of these dynamic machines as they accomplish their molecular functions, combining data from many methodologies is crucial to our understanding of molecular function...
- High-resolution microtubule structures reveal the structural transitions in αβ-tubulin upon GTP hydrolysisGregory M Alushin
Biophysics Graduate Program, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Cell 157:1117-29. 2014..Lateral interactions are similar in all conditions we examined, suggesting that microtubule lattice stability is primarily modulated at longitudinal interfaces...
- Molecular architecture of human polycomb repressive complex 2Claudio Ciferri
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, United States
elife 1:e00005. 2012..Regions in PRC2 that interact with modified histone tails are localized near the methyltransferase site, suggesting a molecular mechanism for the chromatin-based regulation of PRC2 activity.DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00005.001...