Genomes and Genes
Mei Yee Koh
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Passing the baton: the HIF switchMei Yee Koh
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 37:364-72. 2012..Here, we review the significance of the HIF switch and the relation between HIF-1 and HIF-2 under both physiological and pathophysiological conditions...
- Hypoxia-associated factor, a novel E3-ubiquitin ligase, binds and ubiquitinates hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha, leading to its oxygen-independent degradationMei Yee Koh
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:7081-95. 2008..Therefore, HAF is the key mediator of a new HIF-1alpha-specific degradation pathway that degrades HIF-1alpha through a new, oxygen-independent mechanism...
- HAF : the new player in oxygen-independent HIF-1alpha degradationMei Yee Koh
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell Cycle 8:1359-66. 2009..Finally, we review the significance of HAF as an isoform-specific E3 ligase in light of new information on the non-overlapping functions of HIF-1alpha and HIF-2alpha in cancer...
- The hypoxia-associated factor switches cells from HIF-1α- to HIF-2α-dependent signaling promoting stem cell characteristics, aggressive tumor growth and invasionMei Yee Koh
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77230 1429, USA
Cancer Res 71:4015-27. 2011..Thus, HAF, by causing a switch from a HIF-1α- to HIF-2α-dependent response to hypoxia, provides a mechanism for more aggressive growth of tumors under prolonged hypoxia...
- EGFR-induced and PKCε monoubiquitylation-dependent NF-κB activation upregulates PKM2 expression and promotes tumorigenesisWeiwei Yang
Brain Tumor Center and Department of Neuro Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cell 48:771-84. 2012..These findings highlight the distinct regulation of NF-κB by EGF, in contrast to TNF-α, and the importance of the metabolic cooperation between the EGFR and NF-κB pathways in PKM2 upregulation and tumorigenesis...
- Inhibiting the hypoxia response for cancer therapy: the new kid on the blockMei Yee Koh
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:5945-6. 2009..Here, we discuss the proposed mechanism of action of KC7F2 and its potential strengths and limitations in comparison with other promising HIF-1alpha inhibitors...
- HIF-1alpha and cancer therapyMei Yee Koh
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Recent Results Cancer Res 180:15-34. 2010..In this chapter, we summarize recent findings regarding the regulation of HIF-1alpha and the progress made in identifying new therapeutic agents that inhibit HIF-1alpha...