Genomes and Genes
Gareth R Howell
Affiliation: The Jackson Laboratory
- Absence of glaucoma in DBA/2J mice homozygous for wild-type versions of Gpnmb and Tyrp1Gareth R Howell
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
BMC Genet 8:45. 2007..We have shown previously that mutations in two genes, Gpnmb and Tyrp1, initiate the iris disease. However, mechanisms involved in the subsequent IOP elevation and optic nerve degeneration remain unclear...
- Datgan, a reusable software system for facile interrogation and visualization of complex transcription profiling dataGareth R Howell
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
BMC Genomics 12:429. 2011..This reusable software system complements existing repositories such as NCBI GEO or EBI ArrayExpress as it allows the construction of searchable databases to maximize understanding of user-selected transcription profiling datasets...
- Clustering of transcriptional profiles identifies changes to insulin signaling as an early event in a mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseHarriet M Jackson
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
BMC Genomics 14:831. 2013..To identify these early events we used transcriptional profiling of mouse brains combined with computational approaches including singular value decomposition and hierarchical clustering...
- Deficiency of complement component 5 ameliorates glaucoma in DBA/2J miceGareth R Howell
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
J Neuroinflammation 10:76. 2013....
- Intrinsic axonal degeneration pathways are critical for glaucomatous damageGareth R Howell
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Exp Neurol 246:54-61. 2013..For developing new therapies, it will be necessary to clearly define and order the molecular events that lead from glaucomatous insults to axon degeneration. ..
- Axons of retinal ganglion cells are insulted in the optic nerve early in DBA/2J glaucomaGareth R Howell
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
J Cell Biol 179:1523-37. 2007..These experiments provide strong evidence for a local insult to axons in the optic nerve...
- Radiation treatment inhibits monocyte entry into the optic nerve head and prevents neuronal damage in a mouse model of glaucomaGareth R Howell
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
J Clin Invest 122:1246-61. 2012..Together, these data support a model of glaucomatous damage involving monocyte entry into the optic nerve...
- Molecular clustering identifies complement and endothelin induction as early events in a mouse model of glaucomaGareth R Howell
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
J Clin Invest 121:1429-44. 2011..Targeting early molecular events, such as complement and endothelin induction, may provide effective new treatments for human glaucoma...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase, Nos2, does not mediate optic neuropathy and retinopathy in the DBA/2J glaucoma modelRichard T Libby
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
BMC Neurosci 8:108. 2007..To test the importance of NOS2 for an inherited glaucoma, in this study we both genetically and pharmacologically decreased NOS2 activity in the DBA/2J mouse glaucoma model...
- Mouse genetic models: an ideal system for understanding glaucomatous neurodegeneration and neuroprotectionGareth R Howell
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Prog Brain Res 173:303-21. 2008..We describe how mouse models are adding to both the understanding of glaucomatous neurodegeneration and the development of neuroprotective strategies...
- Generating embryonic stem cells from the inbred mouse strain DBA/2J, a model of glaucoma and other complex diseasesLaura G Reinholdt
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e50081. 2012..We also demonstrate the utility of DBA/2J ES cells with the creation of conditional knockout allele for Endothelin-2 (Edn2) directly on the DBA/2J strain background...
- Retinal ganglion cell dendritic atrophy in DBA/2J glaucomaPete A Williams
School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e72282. 2013..These data may highlight alternative pathways to retinal ganglion cell loss in DBA/2J glaucoma. ..
- Mutation of a ubiquitously expressed mouse transmembrane protein (Tapt1) causes specific skeletal homeotic transformationsGareth R Howell
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04660, USA
Genetics 175:699-707. 2007..We speculate that TAPT1 is a downstream effector of HOXC8 that may act by transducing or transmitting extracellular information required for axial skeletal patterning during development...
- Identification of a cryptic lethal mutation in the mouse t(w73) haplotypeGareth R Howell
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Genet Res 84:153-9. 2004....
- The classical complement cascade mediates CNS synapse eliminationBeth Stevens
Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cell 131:1164-78. 2007..These findings support a model in which unwanted synapses are tagged by complement for elimination and suggest that complement-mediated synapse elimination may become aberrantly reactivated in neurodegenerative disease...