Steven R Hertzler
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Effects of a nutritional supplement containing Salacia oblonga extract and insulinogenic amino acids on postprandial glycemia, insulinemia, and breath hydrogen responses in healthy adultsAngela L Collene
Department of Human Nutrition, College of Human Ecology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Nutrition 21:848-54. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Salacia oblonga extract is a promising nutraceutical ingredient that decreased glycemia in this study. Supplementation with amino acids had no significant additional effect on glycemia...
- Glycemic and insulinemic responses to energy bars of differing macronutrient composition in healthy adultsSteven R Hertzler
The Ohio State University, School of Allied Medical Professions Medical Dietetics Division, The Ohio State University Interdisciplinary Ph D Program in Nutrition, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Med Sci Monit 9:CR84-90. 2003..This study investigated how energy bars of differing macronutrient composition affect postprandial glycemia and insulinemia in normal subjects compared with white bread and chicken breast controls...
- Kefir improves lactose digestion and tolerance in adults with lactose maldigestionSteven R Hertzler
Medical Dietetics Division, School of Allied Medical Professions, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1234, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 103:582-7. 2003..Kefir is a fermented milk beverage that contains different cultures than yogurt. The objective of this study was to determine whether kefir improves lactose digestion and tolerance in adults with lactose maldigestion...
- Gamma-cyclodextrin lowers postprandial glycemia and insulinemia without carbohydrate malabsorption in healthy adultsMichelle L Asp
Medical Dietics Division, School of Allied Medical Professions, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210-1295, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 25:49-55. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: GCD effectively lowers postprandial glycemia and insulinemia compared with MD, without resulting in appreciable carbohydrate malabsorption or gastrointestinal intolerance...
- Raisins are a low to moderate glycemic index food with a correspondingly low insulin indexYeonsoo Kim
The Ohio State University, Interdisciplinary Nutrition Program, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Nutr Res 28:304-8. 2008..05). Thus, raisins are a low to moderate GI food, with a correspondingly low II. The lower insulin response in the A group compared with the other groups suggests enhanced insulin sensitivity...
- Fructose prefeeding reduces the glycemic response to a high-glycemic index, starchy food in humansPatricia M Heacock
School of Allied Medical Professions Medical Dietetics Division, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210 1234, USA
J Nutr 132:2601-4. 2002....
- Effects of a medical food containing an herbal alpha-glucosidase inhibitor on postprandial glycemia and insulinemia in healthy adultsPatricia M Heacock
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:65-71. 2005..The increase in breath hydrogen excretion suggests a mechanism similar to prescription alpha-glucosidase inhibitors. Future studies of S oblonga extract in patients with diabetes are needed...