J R Handy
Affiliation: The Oregon Clinic
- Attributes contributing to superior outcomes in the surgical management of early-stage lung cancer and examples of implementing improvementJohn R Handy
Thoracic Surgery Program, Thoracic Oncology Program, Providence Cancer Center, Portland, OR 97213, USA
Cancer J 17:57-62. 2011..Costs of lung cancer surgery operative mortality or complications are discussed. Finally, examples of quantifying and implementing high-quality medical care, especially regarding lung cancer, are reviewed...
- Hospital readmission after pulmonary resection: prevalence, patterns, and predisposing characteristicsJ R Handy
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Oregon Clinic, Portland 97213, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1855-9; discussion 1859-60. 2001..Our objective was to define the prevalence, patterns, and predisposing characteristics for hospital readmission after pulmonary resection...
- What happens to patients undergoing lung cancer surgery? Outcomes and quality of life before and after surgeryJohn R Handy
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Oregon Clinic, Portland, OR 97213, USA
Chest 122:21-30. 2002..To compare baseline preoperative and 6-month postoperative functional health status and quality of life in patients undergoing lung cancer resection...
- What is the inpatient cost of hospital complications or death after lobectomy or pneumonectomy?John R Handy
Providence Cancer Center, Providence Health and Services, Portland, Oregon Oregon Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The Oregon Clinic, Portland, Oregon 97213, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 91:234-8. 2011..No information exists evaluating the costs of complications or death after lobectomy or pneumonectomy...
- Does video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy for lung cancer provide improved functional outcomes compared with open lobectomy?John R Handy
Providence Cancer Center, Providence Health and Services, Portland, OR 97213, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:451-5. 2010..We evaluated video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) and open (OPEN) lobectomy for lung cancer and impact upon 6-month postoperative (postop) functional health status and quality of life...
- MIDCAB: impact of epicardial stabilization upon outcomesE C Douville
The Oregon Clinic and Providence Portland Medical Center, Portland, OR, USA
Heart Surg Forum 2:41-6. 1999..Epicardial mechanical stabilization devices purportedly facilitate left internal mammary artery (LIMA) anastomosis, thereby enhancing patency and outcome...
- Sternal preservation: a better way to treat most sternal wound complications after cardiac surgeryE Charles Douville
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Oregon Clinic PC, Portland, Oregon 97213, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1659-64. 2004..Postcardiotomy sternal wound complications remain challenging. The prevailing approach for deep sternal wound infection of debridement and flap coverage without osseous closure makes subsequent reoperation difficult...
- Is obesity a risk factor for mortality in coronary artery bypass surgery?Ruyun Jin
Providence Health System, Portland, Ore, USA
Circulation 111:3359-65. 2005..The published articles examining obesity and CABG surgery contain conflicting results about the role of body mass index (BMI) as a risk factor for in-hospital mortality...
- Application of robotic-assisted techniques to the surgical evaluation and treatment of the anterior mediastinumMichael A Savitt
Providence St Vincent Heart and Vascular Institute, Portland, Oregon 97225, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 79:450-5; discussion 455. 2005..We report our initial experience with the application of robotic-assisted technologies to the treatment of diseases of the anterior mediastinum...
- Coronary artery bypass grafting: are risk models developed from on-pump surgery valid for off-pump surgery?Yingxing Wu
Providence Health System, Portland, OR, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:174-8. 2004..This study was undertaken to test whether risk models developed from on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting are valid for assessing the risk for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting...
- Clinical evaluation of the carbomedics prosthesis: experience at providence health system in PortlandKenji Minakata
Providence Health System, Portland, Oregon 97225, USA
J Heart Valve Dis 11:844-50. 2002..This study details the authors' experience with the CarboMedics bileaflet mechanical prosthesis, and assesses the valve's efficacy in terms of early mortality and long-term morbidity...