Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: The Rockefeller University
- Heller E, Fuchs E. Tissue patterning and cellular mechanics. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:219-31 pubmed publisher..The regulation of tension within individual cells and across large groups of cells is a major driving force of tissue organization and the basis of all cell shape change and cell movement in development. ..
- Fuchs E. An unconventional route to becoming a cell biologist. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3697-9 pubmed publisher..I appreciate it deeply now, and on this meaningful occasion, I will sketch my rather circuitous road to cell biology. ..
- Adam R, Fuchs E. The Yin and Yang of Chromatin Dynamics In Stem Cell Fate Selection. Trends Genet. 2016;32:89-100 pubmed publisher..Here, we explore the emerging role of chromatin modifiers and pioneer transcription factors in adult stem cell fate decisions and plasticity, which ensure that selective lineage choices are only made when environmentally cued. ..
- Lu C, Polak L, Keyes B, Fuchs E. Spatiotemporal antagonism in mesenchymal-epithelial signaling in sweat versus hair fate decision. Science. 2016;354: pubmed publisher..In contrast, a shift from hair to gland fates is achieved in humans when a spike in BMP silences SHH during the final embryonic wave(s) of bud morphogenesis. ..
- Asare A, Levorse J, Fuchs E. Coupling organelle inheritance with mitosis to balance growth and differentiation. Science. 2017;355: pubmed publisher..Together, our findings unveil a role for organelle inheritance in mitosis, spindle alignment, and the choice of daughter progenitors to differentiate or remain stem-like. ..
- Adam R, Yang H, Ge Y, Lien W, Wang P, Zhao Y, et al. Temporal Layering of Signaling Effectors Drives Chromatin Remodeling during Hair Follicle Stem Cell Lineage Progression. Cell Stem Cell. 2018;22:398-413.e7 pubmed publisher..Barriers to progenitor plasticity increase when diverse, signal-sensitive transcription factors shape LEF1-regulated enhancer dynamics. ..
- Genander M, Cook P, RamskÃ¶ld D, Keyes B, Mertz A, Sandberg R, et al. BMP signaling and its pSMAD1/5 target genes differentially regulate hair follicle stem cell lineages. Cell Stem Cell. 2014;15:619-33 pubmed publisher..Our study therefore illustrates the complex differential roles that a key signaling pathway can play in regulation of closely related stem/progenitor cells within the context of their overall niche. ..
- Ge Y, Gomez N, Adam R, Nikolova M, Yang H, Verma A, et al. Stem Cell Lineage Infidelity Drives Wound Repair and Cancer. Cell. 2017;169:636-650.e14 pubmed publisher..In cancer, stress-responsive transcription factor levels rise, causing lineage commanders to reach excess. When lineage and stress factors collaborate, they activate oncogenic enhancers that distinguish cancers from wounds. ..
- Keyes B, Liu S, Asare A, Naik S, Levorse J, Polak L, et al. Impaired Epidermal to Dendritic T Cell Signaling Slows Wound Repair in Aged Skin. Cell. 2016;167:1323-1338.e14 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore epithelial-immune crosstalk perturbations in general, and Skints in particular, as critical mediators in the age-related decline in wound-repair. ..
- Fuchs E. Epithelial Skin Biology: Three Decades of Developmental Biology, a Hundred Questions Answered and a Thousand New Ones to Address. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2016;116:357-74 pubmed publisher..Finally, I tackle the relation between skin cancer and mutations that perturb the regulation of stem cells. ..
- Oshimori N, Oristian D, Fuchs E. TGF-Î² promotes heterogeneity and drug resistance in squamous cell carcinoma. Cell. 2015;160:963-976 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings establish a surprising non-genetic paradigm for TGF-Î² signaling in fueling heterogeneity in SCC-SCs, tumor characteristics, and drug resistance. ..
- Ezratty E, Pasolli H, Fuchs E. A Presenilin-2-ARF4 trafficking axis modulates Notch signaling during epidermal differentiation. J Cell Biol. 2016;214:89-101 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings raise the possibility that ARF4-dependent polarized exocytosis acts through the basal body-ciliary complex to spatially regulate Notch signaling during epidermal differentiation. ..
- Hsu Y, Li L, Fuchs E. Transit-amplifying cells orchestrate stem cell activity and tissue regeneration. Cell. 2014;157:935-49 pubmed publisher..Our findings unveil TACs as transient but indispensable integrators of SC niche components and reveal an intriguing interdependency of primed and quiescent SC populations on tissue regeneration. ..
- ..Understanding how these stem cells maintain normal homeostasis and wound repair in the skin is particularly important, as these mechanisms, when defective, lead to skin tissue diseases including cancers...
- Lay K, Kume T, Fuchs E. FOXC1 maintains the hair follicle stem cell niche and governs stem cell quiescence to preserve long-term tissue-regenerating potential. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E1506-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that HFSCs have restricted potential in vivo, which they conserve by coupling quiescence to adhesion-mediated niche maintenance, thereby achieving long-term tissue homeostasis. ..
- Kulukian A, Holland A, Vitre B, Naik S, Cleveland D, Fuchs E. Epidermal development, growth control, and homeostasis in the face of centrosome amplification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E6311-20 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these abnormalities were insufficient to disrupt homeostasis and initiate or enhance tumorigenesis, underscoring the powerful surveillance mechanisms in the skin. ..
- Keyes B, Fuchs E. Stem cells: Aging and transcriptional fingerprints. J Cell Biol. 2018;217:79-92 pubmed publisher..Finally, we examine transcriptional changes that have been documented in aged stem cell populations and discuss new questions and future directions that this collection of data has uncovered. ..
- Gonzales K, Fuchs E. Skin and Its Regenerative Powers: An Alliance between Stem Cells and Their Niche. Dev Cell. 2017;43:387-401 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the epithelial stem cells of skin, where they come from, where they reside, and how they function in normal homeostasis and wound repair. ..
- Fuchs E. Scratching the surface of skin development. Nature. 2007;445:834-42 pubmed..Exciting recent developments have focused on how adult skin epithelia maintain populations of stem cells for use in the natural cycles of hair follicle regeneration and for re-epithelialization in response to wounding...