Genomes and Genes
A Hafeez Diwan
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans and giant cell fibroblastoma exhibit CD99 positivityA Hafeez Diwan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 35:647-50. 2008..Twenty-three of 29 DFSP (79%) and 2 of 5 GCP (40%) expressed CD99. Comparison of CD99 and CD34 showed that the non-tumoral periphery of DFSP was less probable to be CD99 positive, but this finding was not statistically significant...
- Lack of maturation with anti-leptin receptor antibody in melanoma but not in neviA Hafeez Diwan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mod Pathol 22:103-6. 2009....
- Galectin-3 expression is associated with tumor progression and pattern of sun exposure in melanomaVictor G Prieto
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, The Methodist Hospital, Houston 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:6709-15. 2006....
- Human melanoma cells express functional receptors for thyroid-stimulating hormoneJulie A Ellerhorst
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Unit 362, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 13:1269-77. 2006..Taken together, these data support the hypothesis that TSH is a growth factor for human melanoma. Our findings have broad clinical implications for the prevention of melanoma and the management of established disease...
- Use of p63 expression in distinguishing primary and metastatic cutaneous adnexal neoplasms from metastatic adenocarcinoma to skinDoina Ivan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Cutan Pathol 34:474-80. 2007..Metastases from adnexal carcinomas generally retain p63 expression similar to their associated primary tumors...
- Nuclear expression of the antiapoptotic protein survivin in malignant melanomaYiling Ding
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 106:1123-9. 2006..These data may underscore the importance of nuclear survivin in progression to melanoma and may prove useful in the differential diagnosis of melanoma versus nevus...
- Renal cell carcinoma marker (RCC-Ma) is specific for cutaneous metastasis of renal cell carcinomaAshley G Perna
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 34:381-5. 2007..RCC-Ma expression is relatively specific for primary clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Its expression in cutaneous metastasis of renal cell carcinoma (MRCC) and other cutaneous clear cell lesions has not been studied...
- Multiple squamous cell carcinomas of the skin after therapy with sorafenib combined with tipifarnibDavid S Hong
Phase I Program, Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics, Unit 455, Division of Cancer Medicine, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:779-82. 2008....
- Microscopic tumor burden in sentinel lymph nodes predicts synchronous nonsentinel lymph node involvement in patients with melanomaJeffrey E Gershenwald
Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Quantitative Sciences, Unit 444, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4296-303. 2008..We sought to determine predictors of additional regional LN involvement in patients with positive SLNs...
- Phosphoinositide 3-kinase is not overexpressed in melanocytic lesionsRajendra S Singh
Department of Pathology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
J Cutan Pathol 34:220-5. 2007....
- Clusterin expression correlates with stage and presence of large cells in mycosis fungoidesPranil Chandra
Department of Hematopathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Box 85, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 131:511-5. 2009..Clusterin expression was not specific for MF as it also was positive in 3 of 3 cases of LyP, 2 of 2 systemic ALCL cases involving skin, 7 of 16 cutaneous ALCLs, and 1 of 6 PTCLs...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans association with nuchal-type fibromaA Hafeez Diwan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Cutan Pathol 31:62-6. 2004..The morphologic findings suggest that there may be a continuum between these two CD34-positive lesions that have a tendency to infiltrate adipose tissue and recur...
- Atypical histologic and immunohistochemical findings in melanocytic nevi after liquid nitrogen cryotherapyAdebowale J Adeniran
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 61:341-5. 2009..Histologically, there was loss of maturation and aberrant HMB-45 expression. These features may pose a diagnostic dilemma, and highlight the importance of clinicopathologic correlation in arriving at the correct diagnosis...
- Aberrant expression of HMB-45 in traumatized melanocytic neviTodd M Leleux
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 67:446-50. 2012..Herein we report a similar phenomenon identified in traumatized melanocytic nevi (TMN)...
- Expression of thyrotropin-releasing hormone by human melanoma and neviJulie A Ellerhorst
Department of Bioimmunotherapy, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:5531-6. 2004..RNA transcripts for the TRH prohormone have recently been described in melanoma cell lines. To expand these findings, we have examined cultured melanoma cells and melanocytes, human melanoma tumors, and nevi for the expression of TRH...
- Severe architectural disorder is a potential pitfall in the diagnosis of small melanocytic lesionsCarlos A Torres-Cabala
Department of Pathology, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 37:860-5. 2010..Little is known about the significance of severe architectural disorder in small melanocytic lesions with features of dysplastic nevi (DN)...
- Immunohistochemical expression of S100A6 in cellular neurothekeoma: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 31 casesJose Antonio Plaza
Department of Pathology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Houston, TX, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 31:419-22. 2009..5%). Therefore, the combination of strong immunoreactivity for S100A6, in nested dermal spindle cell proliferations, and lack of S100 protein or keratin, supports a diagnosis of cellular neurothekeoma...
- Transient iatrogenic immunodeficiency-related B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder of the skin in a patient with mycosis fungoides/Sézary syndromeJonathan L Curry
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 38:295-7. 2011..As far as we are aware, this is the first report of an Epstein-Barr virus-associated B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder, secondary to methotrexate therapy in a patient with mycosis fungoides/Sézary syndrome...
- Metastatic hidradenocarcinoma with demonstration of Her-2/neu gene amplification by fluorescence in situ hybridization: potential treatment implicationsJason W Nash
Departments of Pathology and Dermatology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 34:49-54. 2007..In analogy to breast carcinoma, these findings suggest the applicability of trastuzumab for patients with metastatic adnexal carcinomas demonstrating Her-2/neu amplification...
- HMB-45 (gp103) and MART-1 expression within giant cells in an atypical fibroxanthoma: a case reportMegan J Smith-Zagone
Department of Pathology, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 31:284-6. 2004..A diagnosis of AFX was subsequently made. CONCLUSIONS: This is the first reported case of an AFX with HMB-45 and MART-1 reactivity...
- Trichilemmomas show loss of PTEN in Cowden syndrome but only rarely in sporadic tumorsTariq Al-Zaid
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Cutan Pathol 39:493-9. 2012..31), a tumor suppressor gene. We sought to identify PTEN loss by immunohistochemistry (IHC) in sporadic and CS-associated TL to determine whether IHC is a useful tool to assess an individual for CS...
- Nevoid melanomaA Hafeez Diwan
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Clin Lab Med 31:243-53. 2011..This article discusses the key features of nevoid melanoma. Gross features, microscopic features, immunohistochemistry, differential diagnosis, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment are also discussed...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma arising within nevus sebaceus of JadassohnA Hafeez Diwan
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Cutan Pathol 30:652-5. 2003..CONCLUSION: The diagnosis of MEC is an important one, because it portends a poor prognosis, requiring long follow-up. This is, to our knowledge, the first report of MEC arising within NS...
- Primary SÃ©zary syndrome commonly shows low-grade cytologic atypia and an absence of epidermotropismA Hafeez Diwan
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 123:510-5. 2005..Many cases will lack the epidermotropism usually seen in mycosis fungoides...
- Loss of claudin-1 expression in tumor-associated vessels correlates with acquisition of metastatic phenotype in melanocytic neoplasmsMichael L Cohn
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:533-6. 2005..Cohn ML, Goncharuk VN, Diwan AH, Zhang PS, Shen SS, Prieto VG. Loss of claudin-1 expression in tumor-associated vessels correlates with acquisition of metastatic phenotype in melanocytic neoplasms...
- Merkel cell tumor in a trichilemmal cyst: collision or association?Doina Ivan
Department of Pathology, St Mary s Hospital of Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 29:180-3. 2007..This hypothesis is also supported by the recent observation that Merkel cells are frequently present within normal hair follicles, especially in the isthmic portion that corresponds with the area of origin of the trichilemmal cyst...
- Metastatic basal cell carcinoma exhibits reduced actin expressionMaria C Uzquiano
Department of Pathology, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Mod Pathol 21:540-3. 2008..Our results suggest that increased actin may contribute to local invasiveness, but it is lost in the metastatic phenotype. History of previous radiotherapy may contribute to development of the metastatic phenotype...
- Expression of androgen receptor coactivator ARA70/ELE1 in androgenic alopeciaPeng Lee
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:567-71. 2005..Lee P, Zhu C-C, Sadick NS, Diwan AH, Zhang PS, Liu JS, Prieto VG. Expression of androgen receptor coactivator ARA70/ELE1 in androgenic alopecia...
- Unusual presentation of multiple epithelioid cell histiocytomasJohn J Cangelosi
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 30:373-6. 2008..To the best of our knowledge, multiple ECHs have not been reported in the literature. An appropriate diagnosis of ECH is important as the differential diagnosis usually includes melanocytic lesions...
- Expression of cell cycle inhibitor p27Kip1 and its inactivator Jab1 in melanocytic lesionsDoina Ivan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas, Houston, TX, USA
Mod Pathol 17:811-8. 2004..Also, the relative high expression of Jab1 in metastatic melanoma, associated with low levels of p27, suggests that Jab1 may be involved in survival and proliferation of metastatic melanoma cells...
- Analysis of protein tyrosine kinases expression in the melanoma metastases of patients treated with Imatinib Mesylate (STI571, Gleevec)Doina Ivan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030-4009, USA
J Cutan Pathol 33:280-5. 2006....
- Effects of intense pulsed light and the 1,064 nm Nd:YAG laser on sun-damaged human skin: histologic and immunohistochemical analysisVictor G Prieto
Departments of Pathology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:522-5. 2005..CONCLUSION: Both the IPL and 1,064 nm Nd:YAG laser-induced heat activation of superficial dermal dendritic cells resulted in deposition of collagen in the papillary dermis without evident morphologic damage to the epidermis or dermis...
- Histopathologic diagnosis of chronic graft-versus-host disease: National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Project on Criteria for Clinical Trials in Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease: II. Pathology Working Group ReportHoward M Shulman
Department of Pathology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:31-47. 2006..Consensus recommendations and suggested data-capture forms should be validated in prospective clinicopathologic studies...
- The usefulness of p63 detection for differentiating primary from metastatic skin adenocarcinomasDoina Ivan
J Cutan Pathol 35:880-1. 2008
- Expression of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 2 in melanocytic lesionsHuamin Wang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, USA
J Cutan Pathol 30:599-605. 2003..IGF-binding protein 2 (IGFBP2), which binds and regulates the function of IGF-1, is upregulated in a dose-dependent manner in melanoma cells treated with IGF-1, suggesting a possible role of IGFBP2 in the pathogenesis of melanoma...
- Surgical specimen handling for conjunctival melanoma: implications for tumor thickness determination and sentinel lymph node biopsyBita Esmaeli
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 22:238-9. 2006
- Atypical lymphocytic reaction with epidermotropism and lymphocytic vasculopathic reaction (lymphocytic vasculitis) after treatment with imiquimodJesus Trevino
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:S123-5. 2006
- Cellular blue nevi of the eyelid: A possible diagnostic pitfallQing Wang
Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:257-60. 2008..For melanocytic lesions of the eyelid with histologic features suggestive of cellular blue nevus, the correct diagnosis may mean a more conservative surgical resection and less likelihood of ocular tissue sacrifice and disfigurement...