Affiliation: The Kenneth S. Warren Institute
- Science review: recombinant human erythropoietin in critical illness: a role beyond anemia?Thomas Coleman
The Kenneth S Warren Institute, Kitchawan, New York, USA
Crit Care 8:337-41. 2004..Here, we speculate on the potential utility of EPO as a protective cytokine in the context of acute critical illness and suggest key parameters required for a proof-of-concept clinical study...
- Cytoprotective doses of erythropoietin or carbamylated erythropoietin have markedly different procoagulant and vasoactive activitiesThomas R Coleman
The Kenneth S Warren Institute, Warren Pharmaceuticals, Ossining, NY 10562, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5965-70. 2006..These preclinical findings suggest that nonerythropoietic tissue-protective ligands, which appear to elicit fewer adverse effects, may be especially useful in clinical settings for tissue protection...
- Nonerythropoietic, tissue-protective peptides derived from the tertiary structure of erythropoietinMichael Brines
Warren Pharmaceuticals, Ossining, NY 10562, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10925-30. 2008..Thus, the tissue-protective activities of EPO are mimicked by small, nonerythropoietic peptides that simulate a portion of EPO's three-dimensional structure...
- Erythropoietin mediates tissue protection through an erythropoietin and common beta-subunit heteroreceptorMichael Brines
Kenneth S Warren Institute, Ossining, NY 10563, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14907-12. 2004..These data support the concept that EpoR and betacR comprise a tissue-protective heteroreceptor...
- Asialoerythropoietin is a nonerythropoietic cytokine with broad neuroprotective activity in vivoSerhat Erbayraktar
The Kenneth S Warren Institute, Kitchawan, NY 10562, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:6741-6. 2003..These data suggest that nonerythropoietic variants of rhEPO can cross the blood-brain barrier and provide neuroprotection...
- Erythropoietin selectively attenuates cytokine production and inflammation in cerebral ischemia by targeting neuronal apoptosisPia Villa
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, 20157, Milan, Italy
J Exp Med 198:971-5. 2003..These findings suggest that rhEPO attenuates ischemia-induced inflammation by reducing neuronal death rather than by direct effects upon EPO-R-expressing inflammatory cells...
- Carbamylated erythropoietin reduces radiosurgically-induced brain injurySerhat Erbayraktar
Dokuz Eylul School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Mol Med 12:74-80. 2006..These findings further extend the kinds of injury for which administration of a tissue-protective cytokine provides benefit...
- Carbamylated erythropoietin ameliorates the metabolic stress induced in vivo by severe chronic hypoxiaMonica Fantacci
Department of Medicine, University of Milan, San Paolo Hospital, Milan 20142, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17531-6. 2006..These observations therefore demonstrate that CEpo administration reduces the metabolic stress caused by severe CH, resulting in improved cellular survival independent of erythrocyte production...