Genomes and Genes
C Yan Cheng
Affiliation: The Rockefeller University
- Li N, Tang E, Cheng C. Regulation of blood-testis barrier by actin binding proteins and protein kinases. Reproduction. 2016;151:R29-41 pubmed publisher..This timely review provides an update on the unique biology and regulation of the BTB based on the latest findings in the field, focusing on the role of ABPs and non-receptor protein kinases. ..
- Cheng Y, Xia W, Wong E, Xie Q, Shao J, Liu T, et al. Adjudin--A Male Contraceptive with Other Biological Activities. Recent Pat Endocr Metab Immune Drug Discov. 2015;9:63-73 pubmed..Studies on adjudin should be expanded to better understand its biological activities so that it can become a useful drug for treatment of other ailments besides serving as a male contraceptive. ..
- Wen Q, Cheng C, Liu Y. Development, function and fate of fetal Leydig cells. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;59:89-98 pubmed publisher..In this review, we evaluate the latest findings regarding the development, function and fate of FLCs during fetal and adult testis development. ..
- Chen H, Cheng C. Planar cell polarity (PCP) proteins and spermatogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;59:99-109 pubmed publisher..In this review, we briefly summarize recent findings regarding the role of PCP proteins in the testis. This information should be helpful in future studies to better understand the role of PCP proteins in spermatogenesis. ..
- Wen Q, Tang E, Li N, Mruk D, Lee W, Silvestrini B, et al. Regulation of Blood-Testis Barrier (BTB) Dynamics, Role of Actin-, and Microtubule-Based Cytoskeletons. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1748:229-243 pubmed publisher..These findings also yield a novel hypothetical concept regarding the molecular mechanism that modulates BTB function. ..
- Wen Q, Li N, Xiao X, Lui W, Chu D, Wong C, et al. Actin nucleator Spire 1 is a regulator of ectoplasmic specialization in the testis. Cell Death Dis. 2018;9:208 pubmed publisher..In summary, Spire 1 is an ES regulator to support germ cell development during spermatogenesis. ..
- Gao Y, Xiao X, Lui W, Lee W, Mruk D, Cheng C. Cell polarity proteins and spermatogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;59:62-70 pubmed publisher..This in turn provides a unique mechanism to modulate junction remodeling in the testis to support germ cell transport across the epithelium in particular the BTB during the epithelial cycle of spermatogenesis. ..
- Li N, Mruk D, Mok K, Li M, Wong C, Lee W, et al. Connexin 43 reboots meiosis and reseals blood-testis barrier following toxicant-mediated aspermatogenesis and barrier disruption. FASEB J. 2016;30:1436-52 pubmed publisher..D., Mok, K.-W., Li, M. W. M., Wong, C. K. C., Lee, W. M., Han, D., Silvestrini, B., Cheng, C. Y. Connexin 43 reboots meiosis and reseals blood-testis barrier following toxicant-mediated aspermatogenesis and barrier disruption. ..
- Li N, Mruk D, Lee W, Wong C, Cheng C. Is toxicant-induced Sertoli cell injury in vitro a useful model to study molecular mechanisms in spermatogenesis?. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;59:141-156 pubmed publisher..Sertoli cells also utilize differential spatiotemporal expression of these actin binding proteins to confer plasticity to the BTB to regulate germ cell transport across the BTB. ..
- Tang E, Mruk D, Cheng C. Regulation of microtubule (MT)-based cytoskeleton in the seminiferous epithelium during spermatogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;59:35-45 pubmed publisher..We critically evaluate some recent published findings herein to support a hypothesis regarding the role of MT in conferring germ cell transport in the seminiferous epithelium. ..
- Gao Y, Chen H, Xiao X, Lui W, Lee W, Mruk D, et al. Perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS)-induced Sertoli cell injury through a disruption of F-actin and microtubule organization is mediated by Akt1/2. Sci Rep. 2017;7:1110 pubmed publisher..As such, PFOS-induced male reproductive dysfunction can possibly be managed through an intervention on Akt1/2 expression. ..
- Chen H, Mruk D, Lee W, Cheng C. Regulation of spermatogenesis by a local functional axis in the testis: role of the basement membrane-derived noncollagenous 1 domain peptide. FASEB J. 2017;31:3587-3607 pubmed publisher..Chen, H., Mruk, D. D., Lee, W. M., Cheng, C. Y. Regulation of spermatogenesis by a local functional axis in the testis: role of the basement membrane-derived noncollagenous 1 domain peptide. ..
- Cheng C, Mruk D. Regulation of blood-testis barrier dynamics by focal adhesion kinase (FAK): an unexpected turn of events. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:3493-9 pubmed..Lastly, we describe a working model, which can be used to design future functional experiments to explore the involvement of FAK in BTB dynamics by investigators in the field...
- Chen H, Li M, Yan Cheng C. Drebrin and Spermatogenesis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;1006:291-312 pubmed publisher..We also provide the hypothetical model regarding its involvement in germ cell transport during the epithelial cycle in the seminiferous epithelium to support spermatogenesis. ..
- Chen H, Gao Y, Mruk D, Xiao X, John C, Turek P, et al. Rescue of PFOS-induced human Sertoli cell injury by overexpressing a p-FAK-Y407E phosphomimetic mutant. Sci Rep. 2017;7:15810 pubmed publisher..PFOS induces human Sertoli cell injury which can be rescued by overexpressing p-FAK-Y407E mutant. ..
- Cheng C, Mruk D. An intracellular trafficking pathway in the seminiferous epithelium regulating spermatogenesis: a biochemical and molecular perspective. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;44:245-63 pubmed publisher..Herein, we provide a critical review based on the latest findings in the field regarding the regulation of these cellular events. These recent findings also open up a new window for investigators studying blood-tissue barriers...
- Cheng C, Wong E, Yan H, Mruk D. Regulation of spermatogenesis in the microenvironment of the seminiferous epithelium: new insights and advances. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;315:49-56 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a new window of research for investigators in the field to tackle the functional regulation of spermatogenesis...
- Cheng C, Wong E, Lie P, Mruk D, Xiao X, Li M, et al. Polarity proteins and actin regulatory proteins are unlikely partners that regulate cell adhesion in the seminiferous epithelium during spermatogenesis. Histol Histopathol. 2011;26:1465-74 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these recent findings have unraveled some unexpected molecules to be targeted for male contraceptive development, which are also targets of toxicant-induced male reproductive dysfunction...
- Cheng C, Mruk D. The blood-testis barrier and its implications for male contraception. Pharmacol Rev. 2012;64:16-64 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings illustrate multiple potential targets are present at the BTB for innovative contraceptive development and for better delivery of drugs to alleviate toxicant-induced reproductive dysfunction in men...
- Xiao X, Mruk D, Wong E, Lee W, Han D, Wong C, et al. Differential effects of c-Src and c-Yes on the endocytic vesicle-mediated trafficking events at the Sertoli cell blood-testis barrier: an in vitro study. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2014;307:E553-62 pubmed publisher..By using fluorescence beads mimicking apoptotic germ cells, Sertoli cells were found to engulf beads via c-Src-mediated phagocytosis. A hypothetical model that serves as the framework for future investigation is thus proposed. ..
- Gungor Ordueri N, Celik Ozenci C, Cheng C. Fascin 1 is an actin filament-bundling protein that regulates ectoplasmic specialization dynamics in the rat testis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2014;307:E738-53 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings provide insightful information on spermatid polarity regulation. ..
- Mok K, Mruk D, Cheng C. rpS6 regulates blood-testis barrier dynamics through Akt-mediated effects on MMP-9. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4870-82 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these data support a new concept of mTORC1-mediated BTB regulation, that is possibly also applicable to other blood-tissue barriers. ..
- Cheng Y, Jenardhanan P, Mathur P, Qian X, Xia W, Silvestrini B, et al. Interaction of oligomeric breast cancer resistant protein (BCRP) with adjudin: a male contraceptive with anti-cancer activity. Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2014;7:147-53 pubmed
- Li S, Yan M, Chen H, Jesus T, Lee W, Xiao X, et al. mTORC1/rpS6 regulates blood-testis barrier dynamics and spermatogenetic function in the testis in vivo. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2018;314:E174-E190 pubmed publisher..In short, mTORC1/rpS6 signaling complex is a regulator of spermatogenesis and BTB by modulating the organization of the actin- and MT-based cytoskeletons. ..
- Wen Q, Mruk D, Tang E, Wong C, Lui W, Lee W, et al. Cell polarity and cytoskeletons-Lesson from the testis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2018;81:21-32 pubmed publisher..We also provide some thought-provoking concepts based on which functional experiments can be designed in future studies. ..
- Chen H, Mruk D, Lui W, Wong C, Lee W, Cheng C. Cell polarity and planar cell polarity (PCP) in spermatogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2018;81:71-77 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we also provide a hypothetical concept on the importance of PCP proteins in endocytic vesicle-mediated protein trafficking events to support spermatogenesis through protein endocytosis and recycling. ..
- Wen Q, Tang E, Gao Y, Jesus T, Chu D, Lee W, et al. Signaling pathways regulating blood-tissue barriers - Lesson from the testis. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2018;1860:141-153 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Gap Junction Proteins edited by Jean Claude Herve. ..
- Gao Y, Mruk D, Chen H, Lui W, Lee W, Cheng C. Regulation of the blood-testis barrier by a local axis in the testis: role of laminin ?2 in the basement membrane. FASEB J. 2017;31:584-597 pubmed publisher..Gao, Y., Mruk, D., Chen, H., Lui, W.-Y., Lee, W. M., Cheng, C. Y. Regulation of the blood-testis barrier by a local axis in the testis: role of laminin ?2 in the basement membrane. ..
- Yan H, Mruk D, Lee W, Cheng C. Ectoplasmic specialization: a friend or a foe of spermatogenesis?. Bioessays. 2007;29:36-48 pubmed..We discuss herein the mechanisms that maintain the cross-talk between ES and blood-testis barrier to facilitate cell movement and orientation in the seminiferous epithelium...