M J Casavant
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Does fluorescent urine indicate antifreeze ingestion by children?M J Casavant
Division of Clinical Pharmacology Toxicology, Departments of Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine, Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Pediatrics 107:113-4. 2001..Although she had fluorescent urine, subsequent studies showed that she had not ingested antifreeze. We tested whether fluorescent urine indicates antifreeze ingestion by children...
- Urine drug screening in adolescentsMarcel J Casavant
Central Ohio Poison Center, Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology and Medical Toxicology, Children s Hospital, 700 Children s Drive, A 514, Columbus, OH 43205 2696, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 49:317-27. 2002..Testing is an important element of the substance use assessment, but is only one element, is not required in every case, and is not sufficient alone in any case...
- Fatal hypernatremia from saltwater used as an emeticMarcel J Casavant
Central Ohio Poison Center, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 41:861-3. 2003..He suffered numerous complications and died from cerebral herniation. This case is presented to remind physicians of the dangers of this obsolete therapy...
- Consequences of use of anabolic androgenic steroidsMarcel J Casavant
Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 370 West 9th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 54:677-90, x. 2007....
- Age-specific and age-adjusted penetrance as poison center outcome measuresW R Wolowich
Central Ohio Poison Center, Children s Hospital, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 39:367-70. 2001..This metric fails to account for confounding by age group variability. We demonstrate the error caused by using raw penetrance and present two alternate methods of calculation, age-specific penetrance and age-adjusted penetrance...
- Intra-arterial thrombolysis of a distal internal carotid artery occlusion in an adolescentEric C Bourekas
Department of Radiology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Neurocrit Care 2:179-82. 2005..This article describes the first reported case of an adolescent being treated with intra-arterial urokinase for a distal internal carotid artery occlusion...
- Comparison of parental report of blood lead testing in children enrolled in Medicaid with Medicaid claims data and blood lead surveillance reportsBarbara J Polivka
Ohio State University College of Nursing, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Community Health 31:43-55. 2006..Information and reminders about blood lead testing should be distributed to parents of young children enrolled in Medicaid and frequently reviewed by healthcare providers...
- Evaluation of the Be Poison Smart! poison prevention interventionBarbara J Polivka
The Ohio State University, College of Nursing, Columbus 43210, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 44:109-14. 2006..The Be Poison Smart! (BPS) (http:// www.bepoisonsmart.com) train-the-trainer intervention was designed to reach healthcare, education, and social service providers who impart the BPS message to parents/caregivers of young children...
- Herbal weight-loss supplement misadventures per a regional poison centerRenee F Robinson
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Children s Research Institute, Columbus, OH, USA
Ann Pharmacother 38:787-90. 2004..Many herbal supplements used for weight loss contain stimulants. The poison control center has noted an increase in reports of adverse events with intentional and unintentional ingestion of herbal weight-loss supplements...