George A Calin
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- de Melo Maia B, Ling H, Monroig P, Ciccone M, Soares F, Calin G, et al. Design of a miRNA sponge for the miR-17 miRNA family as a therapeutic strategy against vulvar carcinoma. Mol Cell Probes. 2015;29:420-426 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this miRNA-specific sponge may be developed into a novel therapeutic treatment for patients with vulvar cancer. ..
- Ohtsuka M, Ling H, Doki Y, Mori M, Calin G. MicroRNA Processing and Human Cancer. J Clin Med. 2015;4:1651-67 pubmed publisher..In this review, we focus on the biogenesis of miRNAs with emphasis on the potential of miRNA processing factors in human cancers. ..
- Silva A, Bullock M, Calin G. The Clinical Relevance of Long Non-Coding RNAs in Cancer. Cancers (Basel). 2015;7:2169-82 pubmed publisher..The diagnostic sensitivity, specificity and validity of these non-coding RNA transcripts is compared in the various biological compartments in which they have been detected including tumor tissue, whole body fluids and exosomes. ..
- Anfossi S, Fu X, Nagvekar R, Calin G. MicroRNAs, Regulatory Messengers Inside and Outside Cancer Cells. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2018;1056:87-108 pubmed publisher..Altered expression levels of miRNAs in cancer cells determine the acquisition of fundamental biological capabilities (hallmarks of cancer) responsible for the development and progression of the disease. ..
- Anfossi S, Babayan A, Pantel K, Calin G. Clinical utility of circulating non-coding RNAs - an update. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2018;15:541-563 pubmed publisher..We provide a compendium of miRNAs and long ncRNAs that have been reported in the literature to be present in human body fluids and that have the potential to be used as diagnostic and prognostic cancer biomarkers. ..
- Paladini L, Fabris L, Bottai G, Raschioni C, Calin G, Santarpia L. Targeting microRNAs as key modulators of tumor immune response. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2016;35:103 pubmed publisher..New miRNA-based strategies can be developed for more effective immunotherapeutic interventions in cancer. ..
- Shah M, Ferrajoli A, Sood A, Lopez Berestein G, Calin G. microRNA Therapeutics in Cancer - An Emerging Concept. EBioMedicine. 2016;12:34-42 pubmed publisher..In this review, we have focused on the roles of miRNAs in tumorigenesis, the miRNA-based therapeutic strategies currently being evaluated for use in cancer, and the advantages and current challenges to their use in the clinic. ..
- Cerk S, Schwarzenbacher D, Adiprasito J, Stotz M, Hutterer G, Gerger A, et al. Current Status of Long Non-Coding RNAs in Human Breast Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..lncRNAs are involved in cancer initiation, progression, and metastases. In this review, we summarize the recent literature to highlight the current status of this class of long non-coding lncRNAs in breast cancer. ..
- Shah M, Calin G. MicroRNAs miR-221 and miR-222: a new level of regulation in aggressive breast cancer. Genome Med. 2011;3:56 pubmed publisher..These new insights into the roles of miR-221/222 in breast cancer metastasis, drug resistance and RAS pathways could potentially have applications in medical practice. ..
- Pop Bica C, Pintea S, Cojocneanu Petric R, Del Sal G, Piazza S, Wu Z, et al. MiR-181 family-specific behavior in different cancers: a meta-analysis view. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2018;: pubmed publisher..177, p?<?0.05). This meta-analysis revealed evidence regarding the involvement of miR-181 family members in the outcome of patients with some types of cancer, according to their expression level. ..
- Vannini I, Wise P, Challagundla K, Plousiou M, Raffini M, Bandini E, et al. Publisher Correction: Transcribed ultraconserved region 339 promotes carcinogenesis by modulating tumor suppressor microRNAs. Nat Commun. 2018;9:160 pubmed publisher..This error has now been corrected in both the PDF and HTML versions of the Article. ..
- Ohtsuka M, Ling H, Ivan C, Pichler M, Matsushita D, Goblirsch M, et al. H19 Noncoding RNA, an Independent Prognostic Factor, Regulates Essential Rb-E2F and CDK8-?-Catenin Signaling in Colorectal Cancer. EBioMedicine. 2016;13:113-124 pubmed publisher..We further explored the clinical relevance of above mechanisms in clinical samples, and showed that combined analysis of H19 with its targets improved prognostic value of H19 in CRC. ..
- Anfossi S, Calin G. Hodgkin Lymphoma Cells Have a Specific Long Noncoding RNA Expression Pattern. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:2251-3 pubmed publisher..This commentary highlights the article by Tayari et al that suggests studying clinical implications of long noncoding RNAs as possible diagnostic and predictive biomarkers of Hodgkin lymphoma. ..
- Vannini I, Wise P, Challagundla K, Plousiou M, Raffini M, Bandini E, et al. Transcribed ultraconserved region 339 promotes carcinogenesis by modulating tumor suppressor microRNAs. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1801 pubmed publisher..339 levels, suggesting a type of interaction for uc.339 that we call "entrapping". Our results support a key role for uc.339 in lung cancer. ..
- Smolle M, Bauernhofer T, Pummer K, Calin G, Pichler M. Current Insights into Long Non-Coding RNAs (LncRNAs) in Prostate Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Considering their dynamic role in prostate cancer, lncRNAs may also serve as therapeutic targets, helping to prevent development of castration resistance, maintain stable disease, and prohibit metastatic spread. ..
- Fabris L, Calin G. Understanding the Genomic Ultraconservations: T-UCRs and Cancer. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2017;333:159-172 pubmed publisher..Growing body of literature is now focusing on T-UCRs as potential cancer biomarkers or as new drug targets. Here we present an overview of the discoveries so far published about the role of T-UCR in cancer and disease. ..
- Van Roosbroeck K, Calin G. Cancer Hallmarks and MicroRNAs: The Therapeutic Connection. Adv Cancer Res. 2017;135:119-149 pubmed publisher..For each of the cancer hallmarks, we selected major protein-coding players and describe the miRNAs that target them. ..
- Shen P, Pichler M, Chen M, Calin G, Ling H. To Wnt or Lose: The Missing Non-Coding Linc in Colorectal Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..This review will provide essential information that assists in understanding the missing link of lncRNAs to the classical Wnt signaling in CRC. ..
- Fuentes Mattei E, Giza D, Shimizu M, Ivan C, Manning J, Tudor S, et al. Plasma Viral miRNAs Indicate a High Prevalence of Occult Viral Infections. EBioMedicine. 2017;20:182-192 pubmed publisher..Plasma viral miRNAs quantification proved that EBV infection is ubiquitous. Measurement of viral miRNAs by qPCR has the potential to become the "gold" standard method to detect certain viral infections in clinical practice. ..
- Bottai G, Diao L, Baggerly K, Paladini L, Gyorffy B, Raschioni C, et al. Integrated MicroRNA-mRNA Profiling Identifies Oncostatin M as a Marker of Mesenchymal-Like ER-Negative/HER2-Negative Breast Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..The identification of the OSM inflammatory pathway as an important mediator of EMT in triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) may provide a novel potential opportunity to improve therapeutic strategies. ..
- Ciccone M, Calin G. MicroRNAs in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: An Old Disease with New Genetic Insights. Microrna. 2016;5:106-112 pubmed..Although few studies have shown the prognostic and predictive value of microRNA expression levels, their validation within prospective clinical trials is warranted. ..
- Redis R, Vela L, Lu W, Ferreira de Oliveira J, Ivan C, Rodriguez Aguayo C, et al. Allele-Specific Reprogramming of Cancer Metabolism by the Long Non-coding RNA CCAT2. Mol Cell. 2016;61:520-534 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a complex, allele-specific regulatory mechanism of cancer metabolism orchestrated by the two alleles of a long ncRNA. ..
- Fabris L, Ceder Y, Chinnaiyan A, Jenster G, Sorensen K, Tomlins S, et al. The Potential of MicroRNAs as Prostate Cancer Biomarkers. Eur Urol. 2016;70:312-22 pubmed publisher..The literature shows that microRNAs hold potential as novel biomarkers that could aid prostate cancer management, but additional studies with larger patient cohorts and common guidelines are necessary before clinical implementation. ..
- Calin G, Cimmino A, Fabbri M, Ferracin M, Wojcik S, Shimizu M, et al. MiR-15a and miR-16-1 cluster functions in human leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5166-71 pubmed publisher..By examining the Gene Ontology (GO) database, a significant enrichment in cancer genes (such as MCL1, BCL2, ETS1, or JUN) that directly or indirectly affect apoptosis and cell cycle was found. ..