M Margarita Behrens
Affiliation: The Salk Institute
- Does schizophrenia arise from oxidative dysregulation of parvalbumin-interneurons in the developing cortex?M Margarita Behrens
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuropharmacology 57:193-200. 2009..Thus, in individuals with genetic predisposition, the persistent activation of the IL-6/Nox2 pathway may be an environmental factor that tips the redox balance leading to schizophrenia symptoms in late adolescence and early adulthood...
- Ketamine-induced loss of phenotype of fast-spiking interneurons is mediated by NADPH-oxidaseM Margarita Behrens
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0746, USA
Science 318:1645-7. 2007..These results suggest that NADPH oxidase may represent a novel target for the treatment of ketamine-induced psychosis...
- IL-6 mediated degeneration of forebrain GABAergic interneurons and cognitive impairment in aged mice through activation of neuronal NADPH oxidaseLaura L Dugan
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e5518. 2009..However, the mechanisms underlying this association between IL-6 and cognitive vulnerability remain unclear...
- Interleukin-6 mediates the increase in NADPH-oxidase in the ketamine model of schizophreniaM Margarita Behrens
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0746, USA
J Neurosci 28:13957-66. 2008....
- IL-1beta induces a MyD88-dependent and ceramide-mediated activation of Src in anterior hypothalamic neuronsChristopher N Davis
The Harold L Dorris Neurological Research Institute and Molecular and Integrative Neurosciences Department, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurochem 98:1379-89. 2006....
- How Nox2-containing NADPH oxidase affects cortical circuits in the NMDA receptor antagonist model of schizophreniaXin Wang
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 18:1444-62. 2013....
- Behavioral and neurochemical consequences of cortical oxidative stress on parvalbumin-interneuron maturation in rodent models of schizophreniaSusan B Powell
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, MC0804, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:1322-31. 2012..Thus, oxidative stress during the maturation window for PV+ interneurons by alteration of normal brain development, leads to the emergence of schizophrenia-like behavioral dysfunctions when subjects reach early adulthood...
- Downregulation of parvalbumin at cortical GABA synapses reduces network gamma oscillatory activityVladislav Volman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Computational Neurobiology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 31:18137-48. 2011..Our results suggest a mechanism by which reduced GAD67 and PV in fast-spiking interneurons may contribute to cortical dysfunction in schizophrenia and related psychiatric disorders...
- MyD88-dependent and -independent signaling by IL-1 in neurons probed by bifunctional Toll/IL-1 receptor domain/BB-loop mimeticsChristopher N Davis
The Harold L Dorris Neurological Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2953-8. 2006....
- Pregnenolone sulfate and cortisol induce secretion of acyl-CoA-binding protein and its conversion into endozepines from astrocytesWilliam F Loomis
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0368, USA
J Biol Chem 285:21359-65. 2010..These effects of steroids in neurons will be reinforced by the release of endozepines from astrocytes shown here, and suggest an orchestrated astrocyte-neuron cross-talk that can affect a broad spectrum of behavioral functions...
- Repeated phencyclidine administration alters glutamate release and decreases GABA markers in the prefrontal cortex of ratsNurith Amitai
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:1422-31. 2012..A better understanding of glutamate and GABA dysregulation in schizophrenia may uncover new treatment targets for schizophrenia-related cognitive dysfunction...
- A specific role for NR2A-containing NMDA receptors in the maintenance of parvalbumin and GAD67 immunoreactivity in cultured interneuronsJefferson W Kinney
The Harold L Dorris Neurological Research Center, Molecular and Integrative Neurosciences Department, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 26:1604-15. 2006..These results suggest that the activity of NR2A-containing NMDA receptors play a pivotal role in the maintenance of the GABAergic function of PV interneurons...
- Global epigenomic reconfiguration during mammalian brain developmentRyan Lister
Genomic Analysis Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 341:1237905. 2013....
- Gender differences in free radical homeostasis during aging: shorter-lived female C57BL6 mice have increased oxidative stressSameh S Ali
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Aging Cell 5:565-74. 2006..Our results indicate that differences in ROS homeostasis contribute to gender divergence in survival, but also suggest that mitochondrial superoxide production may not be primarily responsible for gender differences in lifespan...
- Ceramide mediates the rapid phase of febrile response to IL-1betaManuel Sanchez-Alavez
Harold L Dorris Neurological Research Center, Molecular and Integrative Neurosciences Department, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2904-8. 2006..These in vivo and in vitro data suggest that ceramide fulfills the criteria for an endogenous pyrogen...
- Sensitive and Treatable Periods of Brain-Redox Imbalance in SchizophreniaSusan B Powell; Fiscal Year: 2010....