David P Bahner
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Language of Transducer Manipulation: Codifying Terms for Effective TeachingDavid P Bahner
Departments of Emergency Medicine D P B, J M B, E A, A V, C B, A R P and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation M B and Center for Emergency Medical Services A R P, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio USA
J Ultrasound Med 35:183-8. 2016..This new terminology may allow for consistent teaching and improved communication in the process of image acquisition. ..
- Ultrasound in the diagnosis of Fournier's gangreneErika Kube
Department of Emergency Medicine, Ohio Health, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2:104-6. 2012..We present an illustrative case of a patient with FG who was evaluated with focused bedside ultrasonography...
- Trained simulated ultrasound patients: medical students as models, learners, and teachersJ Matthew Blickendorf
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University, 750 Prior Hall, 376 W 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210 USA
J Ultrasound Med 33:35-8. 2014..It can be challenging to find human models for hands-on scanning sessions. This article outlines an educational model from a large university medical center that uses medical students to fulfill the need for human models...
- Integrated medical school ultrasound: development of an ultrasound vertical curriculumDavid P Bahner
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 750 Prior Hall, 376 W 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Crit Ultrasound J 5:6. 2013..However, there has remained the major challenge of determining at which level is integrating ultrasound training within the medical training paradigm most appropriate...
- Advanced ultrasound training for fourth-year medical students: a novel training program at The Ohio State University College of MedicineDavid P Bahner
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, USA
Acad Med 88:206-13. 2013....
- The ultrasound challenge: a novel approach to medical student ultrasound educationDavid P Bahner
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University Medical Center, 750 Prior Hall, 376 W 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Ultrasound Med 31:2013-6. 2012..Medical center residents and faculty served as judges. The Ultrasound Challenge successfully provided medical students with ultrasound experience for future clinical endeavors...
- The sonographic digital portfolio: a longitudinal ultrasound image tracking programDaralee R Hughes
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University Medical Center, 760 Prior Health Sciences Library, 376 W 10th Ave, Columbus, OH, 43210, USA
Crit Ultrasound J 4:15. 2012..abstract:..
- How we use social media to supplement a novel curriculum in medical educationDavid P Bahner
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University, 4735 Cramblett Hall, 456 W 10th Avenue, OH 43210, Columbus, USA
Med Teach 34:439-44. 2012..The millennial learner is reliant on technology to gain knowledge. Social media in the form of Twitter and Facebook provide a unique way to reach these learners...
- Brightness mode quality ultrasound imaging examination technique (B-QUIET): quantifying quality in ultrasound imagingDavid P Bahner
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Ultrasound Med 30:1649-55. 2011..The purpose of this study was to design and perform a pilot reliability study of the Brightness Mode Quality Ultrasound Imaging Examination Technique (B-QUIET) method for ultrasound quality image assessment...
- I-AIM: a novel model for teaching and performing focused sonographyDavid P Bahner
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 4510 Cramblett Hall, 456 W 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210 USA
J Ultrasound Med 31:295-300. 2012..Although validation and reliability studies will be required before implementation, the I-AIM model represents the first effort to standardize and improve clinical and educational focused-sonography...
- Sonographic evaluation of intravascular volume status in the surgical intensive care unit: a prospective comparison of subclavian vein and inferior vena cava collapsibility indexAlistair Kent
Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Surg Res 184:561-6. 2013..The goal of this investigation is to determine the feasibility of subclavian vein (SCV) collapsibility as an adjunct to IVC collapsibility in intravascular volume status assessment...
- The ultrasound challenge 2.0: introducing interinstitutional competition in medical student ultrasound educationEric J Cortez
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio USA E J C, C T B, E J A, D P B Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas USA T E Department of Emergency Medicine, Christiana Health Care Systems, Newark, Delaware USA E G and Department of Emergency Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana USA K P
J Ultrasound Med 33:2193-6. 2014..Students from both institutions were able to practice their image acquisition skills, demonstrate abilities in a competitive environment, and develop collegiality and teamwork. ..
- The state of ultrasound education in U.S. medical schools: results of a national surveyDavid P Bahner
Dr Bahner is professor, director of ultrasound, and emergency medicine ultrasound fellowship director, Department of Emergency Medicine, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio Dr Goldman is associate professor, Department of Human and Organizational Learning, and Director, Master Teacher Leadership Development Program for the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, George Washington University, Washington, DC Mr Way is senior research associate, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio Dr Royall is a fourth year resident in surgery, Department of Surgery, Orlando Health, Orlando, Florida He holds a joint appointment as resident instructor, Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando, Florida Dr Liu is assistant professor and emergency medicine ultrasound fellowship director, Department of Emergency Medicine, George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DC
Acad Med 89:1681-6. 2014..To determine the state of ultrasound education in U.S. medical schools and assess curricular administrators' opinions on its integration in undergraduate medical education (UME)...
- The 9th annual INDUS-EM 2013 Emergency Medicine Summit, "Principles, Practices, and Patients," a level one international meeting, Kerala University of Health Sciences and Jubilee Mission Medical College and Research Institute, Thrissur, Kerala, India, OctMamta Swaroop
Department of Anesthesiology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 410 West 10th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Philos Ethics Humanit Med 9:8. 2014..The INDUS-EM leadership and board of directors invited scholars from multiple institutions to participate in this advanced educational symposium that was held in Thrissur, Kerala in October 2013. ..
- Teaching Emotional Intelligence: A Control Group Study of a Brief Educational Intervention for Emergency Medicine ResidentsDiane L Gorgas
Ohio State University College of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
West J Emerg Med 16:899-906. 2015..We explored the potential for EI to be learned as a skill (as opposed to being an innate ability) through a brief educational intervention with emergency medicine (EM) residents...
- Patellar tendon rupture: an ultrasound case reportKenneth Berg
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
BMJ Case Rep 2013:. 2013..Furthermore, the advantages of ultrasound over the more traditional imaging modalities of x-ray and MRI in cases where tendon rupture is suspected are discussed...
- Virtual alternative to the oral examination for emergency medicine residentsJillian McGrath
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
West J Emerg Med 16:336-43. 2015..For this project, we compared the attitudes and performance of emergency medicine (EM) residents who took our traditional oral exam to those who took the exam using virtual simulation...
- Educating the delivery of bad news in medicine: Preceptorship versus simulationAndrew P Jacques
The Ohio State University, Department of Emergency Medicine, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 1:121-4. 2011..Simulation training can help to develop the skills needed to effectively and empathetically deliver bad news to patients and families in medical practice...
- Ultrasound-assisted musculoskeletal procedures: A practical overview of current literatureNelson A Royall
Nelson A Royall, David P Bahner, Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, United States
World J Orthop 2:57-66. 2011..Despite the limited amount of prospective, randomized data in this area, a substantial body of observational and retrospective evidence suggests potential benefits from the use of musculoskeletal bedside sonography...