Catherine M Alfano
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Exercise and dietary change after diagnosis and cancer-related symptoms in long-term survivors of breast cancer: CALGB 79804Catherine M Alfano
The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center and College of Public Health, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Psychooncology 18:128-33. 2009....
- Recovery issues in cancer survivorship: a new challenge for supportive careCatherine M Alfano
The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center and School of Public Health, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Cancer J 12:432-43. 2006..Addressing these issues in the post-treatment period represents the new challenge to supportive care...
- Fatigue and herpesvirus latency in women newly diagnosed with breast cancerChristopher P Fagundes
Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Brain Behav Immun 26:394-400. 2012..Prior work has suggested that fatigue may be related to inflammation and its associated sickness behaviors; accordingly, our findings may be tapping into this same physiological substrate...
- Beta-blockers may reduce intrusive thoughts in newly diagnosed cancer patientsMonica E Lindgren
Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Psychooncology 22:1889-94. 2013..Thus, the current study examined the association between beta-blocker use and the severity of cancer-related intrusive thoughts and related symptoms following a cancer diagnosis...
- Arm/hand swelling and perceived functioning among breast cancer survivors 12 years post-diagnosis: CALGB 79804Jill M Oliveri
Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, A356 Starling Loving Hall, 320 W 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH, USA
J Cancer Surviv 2:233-42. 2008....
- Social support predicts inflammation, pain, and depressive symptoms: longitudinal relationships among breast cancer survivorsSpenser Hughes
Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA Electronic address
Psychoneuroendocrinology 42:38-44. 2014..Accordingly, the goal of the present study was to examine the relationships among survivors' social support, pain, depressive symptoms, and inflammation...
- Cancer surveillance behaviors and psychosocial factors among long-term survivors of breast cancer. Cancer and Leukemia Group B 79804Mira L Katz
Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center and College of Public Health, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Cancer 115:480-8. 2009..This report describes the relation of these behaviors to demographic and clinical characteristics, psychological symptoms, body satisfaction, and social support...
- Physical activity, long-term symptoms, and physical health-related quality of life among breast cancer survivors: a prospective analysisCatherine M Alfano
Comprehensive Cancer Center and School of Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
J Cancer Surviv 1:116-28. 2007..This prospective study investigated physical activity (PA), occurrence of physical symptoms, and HRQOL in a large, ethnically-diverse cohort of breast cancer survivors...
- Breast cancer survivors' health-related quality of life : racial differences and comparisons with noncancer controlsElectra D Paskett
Division of Population Sciences, Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Cancer 113:3222-30. 2008..This study not only compared HRQoL of African American and white breast cancer survivors, but also compared the HRQoL of these women to that of same-race women with no cancer history...
- Social support and socioeconomic status interact to predict Epstein-Barr virus latency in women awaiting diagnosis or newly diagnosed with breast cancerChristopher P Fagundes
Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research, The Ohio State University, College of Medicine, 460 Medical Center Drive, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Health Psychol 31:11-9. 2012..This study assessed the joint impact of SES and social support on the expression of a latent herpesvirus, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), in a group of highly stressed women...
- Design and analysis of group-randomized trials in cancer: a review of current practicesDavid M Murray
Division of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:483-91. 2008..Previous reviews have identified problems in the design and analysis of group-randomized trials in a number of areas. Similar problems may exist in cancer research, but there have been no comprehensive reviews...
- Clinical presentation of delirium in patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantationJesse R Fann
Department of Biobehavioral Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Cancer 103:810-20. 2005..In the current study, the authors investigated the clinical presentation of delirium in HSCT patients, including the time course of these symptoms and comorbid affective distress, fatigue, and pain...
- Psychometric properties of a tool for measuring hormone-related symptoms in breast cancer survivorsCatherine M Alfano
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Psychooncology 15:985-1000. 2006..Future clinical trials and quality of life and symptom management intervention studies would benefit from accurate assessment of hormone-related symptoms with the five scales from the shortened BCPT checklist...
- Impact of delirium on cognition, distress, and health-related quality of life after hematopoietic stem-cell transplantationJesse R Fann
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:1223-31. 2007....
- Psychometric evaluation of the Brief Cancer Impact Assessment among breast cancer survivorsCatherine M Alfano
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Oncology 70:190-202. 2006..This study evaluated the psychometric properties of the 16-item Brief Cancer Impact Assessment (BCIA)...
- Possible socioeconomic and ethnic disparities in quality of life in a cohort of breast cancer survivorsDeborah J Bowen
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue N, M4 B402, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 106:85-95. 2007..This paper describes the ethnic and socioeconomic correlates of functioning in a cohort of long-term nonrecurring breast cancer survivors...
- Fatigue in breast cancer survivors two to five years post diagnosis: a HEAL Study reportKathleen Meeske
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1444 Eastlake Avenue, Room 4449, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Qual Life Res 16:947-60. 2007....
- Physical activity in relation to all-site and lung cancer incidence and mortality in current and former smokersCatherine M Alfano
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, M3 B232, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:2233-41. 2004..Prospective studies using more sophisticated measures of physical activity assessed at multiple time points during follow-up are needed to corroborate these associations...