Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- GABA and schizophrenia: a review of basic science and clinical studiesAdel Wassef
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Room 2C 07, Houston Harris County Psychiatric Center, 2800 South MacGregor Way, Houston, TX 77021, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:601-40. 2003..A converging body of evidence implicates the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) neurotransmitter system in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia...
- Lower effectiveness of divalproex versus valproic acid in a prospective, quasi-experimental clinical trial involving 9,260 psychiatric admissionsAdel A Wassef
Harris County Psychiatric Center, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, TX 77021, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:330-9. 2005..The authors examined clinical differences between divalproex sodium and generic immediate-release valproic acid...
- Who receives antidepressants and what impact do they have? An acute-care studyPatricia M Averill
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX, USA
Psychiatr Q 77:139-50. 2006..These findings suggest that the traditional practice of avoiding immediate medication at hospitalization appears to have some validity...
- Ratings of early major depressive disorder symptom change during a brief psychiatric hospitalizationJeremy W Pettit
Department of Psychology, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204 5022, USA
Psychiatr Q 76:33-48. 2005..The association between a shorter length of stay and greater symptom reduction may reflect a distinction between treatment responders and nonresponders...
- Valproic acid induces manifestations of simultaneous dopamine enhancement and reduction in schizophreniaLina M Lopez
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1217; author reply 1218-20. 2004
- Effect of divalproex combined with olanzapine or risperidone in patients with an acute exacerbation of schizophreniaDaniel E Casey
Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Portland VA Medical Center, OR 97201, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:182-92. 2003..Further evaluation is warranted to confirm these findings...