Blanca I Restrepo
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Cross-sectional assessment reveals high diabetes prevalence among newly-diagnosed tuberculosis casesBlanca I Restrepo
School of Public Health in Brownsville, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Brownsville, 78520, USA
Bull World Health Organ 89:352-9. 2011..To estimate the contribution of clinically-confirmed diabetes mellitus to tuberculosis (TB) rates in communities where both diseases are prevalent as a way to identify opportunities for TB prevention among diabetic patients...
- Rapid DNA extraction for specific detection and quantitation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA in sputum specimens using Taqman assaysDiana I Gomez
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health in Brownsville, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 80 Fort Brown, SPH Bldg, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 91:S43-8. 2011..Together, our protocol provides rapid, specific, inexpensive and quantitative detection of Mtb DNA in fresh or stored sputa making it a robust tool for prompt TB diagnosis, and with potential use for clinical and epidemiologic studies...
- Type 2 diabetes and multidrug-resistant tuberculosisSusan P Fisher-Hoch
University of Texas School of Public Health Regional Campus, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 40:888-93. 2008..In Texas, all but 3 of the T2DM patients with MDR TB were resistant at their first culture at the time of diagnosis. It is possible that impaired immunity in T2DM increases susceptibility to infection with resistant strains...
- Socioeconomic status and prevalence of obesity and diabetes in a Mexican American community, Cameron County, Texas, 2004-2007Susan P Fisher-Hoch
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville Campus, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A53. 2010..We established a cohort on the United States-Mexico border to determine the prevalence of obesity and diabetes in this Mexican American population and to see whether minor economic advantages had any effect on health...
- Systematic interpretation of molecular beacon polymerase chain reaction for identifying rpoB mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates with mixed resistant and susceptible bacteriaDiana I Gomez
The University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, School of Public Health at Brownsville, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 67:37-46. 2010....
- Tuberculosis in poorly controlled type 2 diabetes: altered cytokine expression in peripheral white blood cellsBlanca I Restrepo
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, University of Texas at Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, SPH Bldg, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:634-41. 2008....
- Association between tuberculosis and diabetes in the Mexican border and non-border regions of TexasAdriana Perez
Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, The University of Texas at Houston Health Science Center, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:604-11. 2006..82; 95% CI = 1.57-2.12) compared with non-border counties (OR(adj) = 1.51; 95% CI = 1.36-1.67)...
- Dipstick urinalysis for diabetes screening in TB patientsBlanca I Restrepo
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health in Brownsville, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 80 Fort Brown, SPH Building, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Int Health 5:157-9. 2013..Given its low cost, the sensitivity of urine glucose dipsticks for diabetes screening in TB patients was assessed...
- Mycobacterial clearance from sputum is delayed during the first phase of treatment in patients with diabetesBlanca I Restrepo
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:541-4. 2008....
- Reduced Mycobacterium tuberculosis association with monocytes from diabetes patients that have poor glucose controlDiana I Gomez
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health at Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, SPH Bldg, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA Electronic address
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 93:192-7. 2013..These findings suggest an altered route of entry of the pathogen in DM patients that may influence the downstream activation of signaling pathways in the monocyte and the survival of mycobacteria...
- Convergence of the tuberculosis and diabetes epidemics: renewal of old acquaintancesBlanca I Restrepo
Clin Infect Dis 45:436-8. 2007
- Serological screening for cysticercosis in mentally altered individualsFernando Sanzón
Universidad de Nariño, Centro de Estudios en Salud, San Juan de Pasto, Colombia
Trop Med Int Health 7:532-8. 2002..The data analysis indicated a weak association between the cases and a positive serology for neurocysticercosis (odds ratio > 2; P > 0.05). The lower education level of the cases influenced this association...
- Rapid characterization of mycobacteria and drug resistance in paucibacillary TBBLANCA RESTREPO; Fiscal Year: 2007..Funding of this R21 is critical to generate preliminary data that will strengthen future, more complex studies of the pathogenesis and evolution of MDR- TB in high-risk populations. ..