Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- The association of depression and anxiety with glycemic control among Mexican Americans with diabetes living near the U.S.-Mexico borderDarla E Kendzor
School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Dallas, TX, USA
BMC Public Health 14:176. 2014..Thus, the purpose of the current study was to evaluate the associations of depression and anxiety with the behavioral management of diabetes and glycemic control among Mexican American adults living near the border...
- Socio-ecological influences on health-care access and navigation among persons of Mexican descent living on the U.S./Mexico borderBelinda M Reininger
Health Promotion and Behavioral Science, University of Texas Health Science Center, School of Public Health, Brownsville Regional Campus, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX, 78520, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 16:218-28. 2014..This theory-based study raises important issues if health care is to improve the health and welfare of disadvantaged populations and points to the need for greater focus on medical homes and prevention and early intervention approaches...
- Social capital and disaster preparedness among low income Mexican Americans in a disaster prone areaBelinda M Reininger
Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, UT School of Public Health Brownsville, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Soc Sci Med 83:50-60. 2013..These results extend previous findings on social capital and disaster preparedness and further characterize social capital's presence among a low income population living in a hurricane prone area...
- Perceptions of social support, empowerment and youth risk behaviorsBelinda M Reininger
Division of Behavioral Sciences, School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Brownsville Regional Campus, Brownsville, TX, USA
J Prim Prev 33:33-46. 2012....
- Advancing the theory and measurement of collective empowerment: a qualitative studyBelinda Reininger
The Norman J Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, SC, USA
Int Q Community Health Educ 25:211-38. 2005..These findings suggest that the construct of collective empowerment can be both operationalized and evaluated at the community level...
- Response to H1N1 in a U.S.-Mexico border communityJoseph B McCormick
University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville Regional Campus, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 8:233-42. 2010..These simple methods should be considered for local implementation and for integration into national recommendations for epidemic preparedness and response...
- Perceived barriers to exercise in Hispanic adults by level of activityLorraine Bautista
Dept of Behavioral Science, University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville Regional Campus, USA
J Phys Act Health 8:916-25. 2011..National data show that Hispanics report low levels of physical activity. Limited information on barriers to exercise in this population exists in the literature...
- Disturbed sleep among adolescents living in 2 communities on the Texas-Mexico border, 2000-2003Adriana Perez
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Austin, TX 78701, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A40. 2010..We estimated the prevalence of disturbed sleep and associated factors among ninth graders living on the Texas-Mexico border...
- Sexual risk avoidance and sexual risk reduction interventions for middle school youth: a randomized controlled trialChristine M Markham
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7000 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Adolesc Health 50:279-88. 2012..To evaluate the efficacy of two, theory-based, multimedia, middle school sexual education programs in delaying sexual initiation...
- Nativity and nutritional behaviors in the Mexican origin population living in the US-Mexico border regionJared A Montoya
Behavioral Sciences Department, University of Texas at Brownsville, Brownsville, TX, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 13:94-100. 2011..Despite low levels of overall acculturation in the border region dietary beliefs still exist between immigrants and US-born Mexican Americans in dietary beliefs, but, not behaviors in US-born Mexican Americans...
- A multimedia educational program that increases science achievement among inner-city non-Asian minority middle-school studentsNancy G Murray
Behavioral Sciences, The Michael and Susan Dell Center for Advancement of Healthy Living, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Acad Med 84:803-11. 2009..Collaborators from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Spring Branch Independent School District, and the Health Museum developed the modules...
- Utilizing spatiotemporal analysis of influenza-like illness and rapid tests to focus swine-origin influenza virus interventionJ Gaines Wilson
Department of Chemistry and Environmental Sciences, The University of Texas at Brownsville, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Health Place 16:1230-9. 2010..Given that S-OIV data is often difficult to obtain real-time during an outbreak; these findings may be of use to public health officials targeting prevention and response efforts during future flu outbreaks...
- An exploration of the relationship between youth assets and engagement in risky sexual behaviorsAlexandra E Evans
Department of Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
J Adolesc Health 35:424.e21-30. 2004....
- Ergonomic decision-making: a conceptual framework for experienced practitioners from backgrounds in industrial engineering and physical therapyKaren M Piegorsch
Synergo, P O Box 415, Columbia, SC 29202, USA
Appl Ergon 37:587-98. 2006..Results indicate that demands of the practitioner environment and practitioner factors such as personality more strongly influence the decision-making of experienced ergonomics practitioners than does practitioner background in IE or PT...