Patricia D Mullen
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Is a prostate cancer screening anxiety measure invariant across two different samples of age-appropriate men?Suzanne K Linder
Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 12:52. 2012....
- The promise and pitfalls of systematic reviewsPatricia Dolan Mullen
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 27:81-102. 2006....
- How can more smoking suspension during pregnancy become lifelong abstinence? Lessons learned about predictors, interventions, and gaps in our accumulated knowledgePatricia Dolan Mullen
Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 6:S217-38. 2004..Innovative methods for reducing postpartum problems should be tested. (i). Study of incentives for pregnancy cessation should include varying patterns, carryover to early postpartum months, and focus on their impact on long-term change...
- Jails as important but constrained venues for addressing women's healthPatricia Dolan Mullen
The Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, 77030, USA
Fam Community Health 26:157-68. 2003....
- The influence of subjective social status on vulnerability to postpartum smoking among young pregnant womenLorraine R Reitzel
Department of Health Disparities Research, M D Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1476-82. 2007..The goal was to identify how subjective social status might influence the risk for postpartum smoking and to elucidate targets for intervention...
- Relationship between English language use and preferences for involvement in medical care among Hispanic womenGuillermo Tortolero-Luna
The University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, Houston, Texas, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 15:774-85. 2006..To assess how English language use by Hispanic women affects their preferences for participating in decision making and information seeking regarding medical care...
- Computer-based decision support for pediatric asthma management: description and feasibility of the Stop Asthma Clinical SystemRoss Shegog
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, UT School of Public Health, 7000 Fannin, Suite 2668, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Health Informatics J 12:259-73. 2006....
- Meta-analysis of the effects of behavioral HIV prevention interventions on the sexual risk behavior of sexually experienced adolescents in controlled studies in the United StatesPatricia Dolan Mullen
School of Public Health, University of Texas, Houston 77030, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:S94-S105. 2002....
- Preventing postpartum smoking relapse among diverse low-income women: a randomized clinical trialLorraine R Reitzel
Department of Health Disparities Research, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 1440, P O Box 301402, Houston, TX 77230, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 12:326-35. 2010....
- Contraception or abortion? Inaccurate descriptions of emergency contraception in newspaper articles, 1992-2002Sandi L Pruitt
Department of Health Promotion and Health Education, The University of Texas Houston Health Science Center School of Public Health, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Contraception 71:14-21. 2005..Media portrayals of emergency contraception (EC) may influence public health policy and the public's acceptance of this reproductive health option...
- The meaning of health for women with physical disabilities: a qualitative analysisMargaret A Nosek
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Center for Research on Women with Disabilities, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77046, USA
Fam Community Health 27:6-21. 2004..Barriers included certain disability characteristics, stress, inadequate social support, societal attitudes, and lack of resources...
- Correlates of mammography screening among Hispanic women living in lower Rio Grande Valley farmworker communitiesRichard C Palmer
University of Texas Houston, School of Public Health, 77030, USA
Health Educ Behav 32:488-503. 2005..In addition, efforts to increase their self-efficacy in obtaining a mammogram and to counter negative attitudes and opinions by stressing the positive prognosis associated with early detection are warranted...
- Continuing medical education: what delivery format do physicians prefer?Nancy Stancic
Department of Behavioral Science, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Box 243, Houston, TX 77030 4730, USA
J Contin Educ Health Prof 23:162-7. 2003..Nicotine Dependence Across the Lifespan was developed as a continuing medical education (CME) program to teach and encourage physicians to deliver effective tobacco prevention and tobacco cessation counseling...
- Feasibility of implementation of a Dutch smoking cessation and relapse prevention protocol for pregnant womenMartijntje J Bakker
Public Health Fund Fonds OGZ, The Hague, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 49:35-43. 2003..E.=0.25, P<0.001). These results were confirmed by data collected among clients. This easy-to-implement program is recommended for broad dissemination. Further investigation is needed to improve the partner and postpartum component...
- A protocol for the analytical aspects of a systematic review of HIV prevention researchWayne D Johnson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:S62-72. 2002..This framework may be useful for meta-analyses of prevention research in other fields, particularly when primary research features diverse outcome measures and methods of analysis...
- A profile of U.S.-based trials of behavioral and social interventions for HIV risk reductionSalaam Semaan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:S30-50. 2002..This sizable portfolio of evaluated interventions contributes to effectiveness reviews and to considerations of transfer to program practice...
- The effects of smoking cessation counseling by midwives on Dutch pregnant women and their partnersHein de Vries
Department of Health Education, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 63:177-87. 2006..Smoking during pregnancy is an important problem in the Netherlands. We tested the effectiveness of a health counseling method by midwives using a RCT...
- Introducing the community guide's reviews of evidence on interventions to increase screening for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancersRosalind A Breslow
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:S14-20. 2008
- Methods for conducting systematic reviews of evidence on effectiveness and economic efficiency of interventions to increase screening for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancersRoy C Baron
Community Guide Branch, National Center for Health Marketing, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:S26-33. 2008
- Psychiatric distress in incarcerated women with recent cocaine and alcohol abuseMary M Velasquez
University of Texas at Austin, School of Social Work, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Womens Health Issues 17:264-72. 2007..This study aimed to determine how preincarceration abuse of alcohol and cocaine affected current psychiatric distress among female jail detainees held for 10-14 days...
- Alternatives to the randomized controlled trialStephen G West
Psychology Department, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 1104, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1359-66. 2008..g., need, merit, risk). In observational studies, treatment assignment is unknown and presumed to be nonrandom. Major threats to the validity of each design and statistical strategies for mitigating those threats are presented...
- Predictors of perceiving smoking cessation counselling as a midwife's role: a survey of Dutch midwivesMartijntje J Bakker
Municipal Health Institute The Hague, PO Box 12652, 2500 DP The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 15:39-42. 2005..The aim of the present study was to identify relevant factors that hamper or promote the provision of effective smoking cessation advice and counselling...
- Client-directed interventions to increase community demand for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening a systematic reviewRoy C Baron
Community Guide Branch, National Center for Health Marketing, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:S34-55. 2008..e., flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, double contrast barium enema). Specific areas for further research are also suggested in this report...
- PREVENTING ALCOHOL EXPOSED PREGNANCY AFTER A JAIL TERMPatricia Mullen; Fiscal Year: 2001..The study will use an RCT design (n=270) to test the intervention's effect on alcohol consumption and birth control use 6 months after release. ..
- BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE EDUCATION CANCER PREVENTION/CONTROLPatricia Mullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..