Allison B McCoy
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Development and evaluation of a crowdsourcing methodology for knowledge base construction: identifying relationships between clinical problems and medicationsAllison B McCoy
School of Biomedical Informatics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston UTHealth, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 19:713-8. 2012..We describe a novel, crowdsourcing method for generating a knowledge base of problem-medication pairs that takes advantage of manually asserted links between medications and problems...
- Matching identifiers in electronic health records: implications for duplicate records and patient safetyAllison B McCoy
School of Biomedical Informatics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
BMJ Qual Saf 22:219-24. 2013....
- A framework for evaluating the appropriateness of clinical decision support alerts and responsesAllison B McCoy
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 77030, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 19:346-52. 2012..The authors present a comprehensive framework for evaluating the clinical appropriateness of synchronous, interruptive medication safety alerts...
- Adopting real-time surveillance dashboards as a component of an enterprisewide medication safety strategyLemuel R Waitman
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 37:326-32. 2011..High-alert medications are frequently responsible for adverse drug events and present significant hazards to inpatients, despite technical improvements in the way they are ordered, dispensed, and administered...
- A prototype knowledge base and SMART app to facilitate organization of patient medications by clinical problemsAllison B McCoy
School of Biomedical Informatics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston UTHealth, Houston, TX, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2011:888-94. 2011..1% and specificity of 98.9%. The SMART API successfully utilized the knowledge base to generate problem-medication links for test patients. Future work is necessary to improve knowledge base sensitivity and efficiency...
- Effectiveness of bar coded medication alerts for elevated potassiumRyan P Radecki
Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2012:1360-5. 2012..Modifications to rules logic may be necessary for this specific population. While BCMA alerts can beneficial, they should be carefully implemented with periodic post-implementation analysis and refinement...
- Comparison of clinical knowledge bases for summarization of electronic health recordsAllison B McCoy
The University of Texas School of Biomedical Informatics at Houston, Houston, TX, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 192:1217. 2013..Further research is necessary to better evaluate the knowledge bases independently in additional settings, and to identify methods to integrate the knowledge bases. ..
- A computerized provider order entry intervention for medication safety during acute kidney injury: a quality improvement reportAllison B McCoy
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:832-41. 2010..Frequently, prescribers fail to account for changing kidney function when prescribing medications. We evaluated the use of a computerized provider order entry intervention to improve medication management during acute kidney injury...
- Adverse drug events during AKI and its recoveryZachary L Cox
Department of Pharmacy, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8:1070-8. 2013..The impact of AKI on adverse drug events and therapeutic failures and the medication errors leading to these events have not been well described...
- Reducing patient re-identification risk for laboratory results within research datasetsRavi V Atreya
Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232 8340, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 20:95-101. 2013..To try to lower patient re-identification risks for biomedical research databases containing laboratory test results while also minimizing changes in clinical data interpretation...
- Teaching evidence-based medicine: Impact on students' literature use and inpatient clinical documentationElizabeth Ann Sastre
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Med Teach 33:e306-12. 2011..Effective teaching of evidence-based medicine (EBM) to medical students is important for lifelong self-directed learning...