B A Johnson
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Effects of acute intravenous cocaine on cardiovascular function, human learning, and performance in cocaine addictsB Johnson
Clinical Laboratory and Experimental Alcohol Research, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 77030, USA
Psychiatry Res 77:35-42. 1998..Cocaine-taking resulted in a small but statistically insignificant improvement in learning on the Digit Symbol Substitution Task. These results suggest that cocaine-taking in rested subjects is associated with some cognitive enhancement...
- Cue reactivity in cocaine-dependent subjects: effects of cue type and cue modalityB A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas, Houston 77030, USA
Addict Behav 23:7-15. 1998..The relative sensitivities of the cue modalities in decreasing order was manual, audio, and visual. We suggest that a modified conditioned-cue paradigm could be a useful tool in the repeated assessment of craving during a clinical study...
- Demonstration of dose-dependent global and regional cocaine-induced reductions in brain blood flow using a novel approach to quantitative single photon emission computerized tomographyB Johnson
Clinical Laboratory and Experimental Alcohol Research Center, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 18:377-84. 1998..Additionally, identifying the site-specific effects of cocaine provides targets for the development of putative therapeutic medications to attenuate or minimize ischemic stroke in cocaine addicts...
- Isradipine, a dihydropyridine-class calcium channel antagonist, attenuates some of d-methamphetamine's positive subjective effects: a preliminary studyB A Johnson
University of Texas, Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78284 7792, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 144:295-300. 1999..This is the first experiment to test the hypothesis that the rewarding effects of d-methamphetamine, like other psychostimulants, can be reduced by isradipine...
- Combining ondansetron and naltrexone effectively treats biologically predisposed alcoholics: from hypotheses to preliminary clinical evidenceB A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas, San Antonio, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24:737-42. 2000....
- Effects of isradipine, a dihydropyridine-class calcium channel antagonist, on d-methamphetamine-induced reduction in hungerB A Johnson
Division of Alcohol and Drug Addiction, University of Texas, Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 23:1227-34. 1999..Additionally, isradipine pretreatment did not significantly alter d-methamphetamine's anorexic effects. 4. Isradipine may, therefore, not significantly modify the control of hunger in humans...
- Age of onset as a discriminator between alcoholic subtypes in a treatment-seeking outpatient populationB A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas, San Antonio 78284 7792, USA
Am J Addict 9:17-27. 2000..Yet, this clinical characterization would be clinically important if specific age of onset levels were found to be differentially sensitive to pharmacological and/or psychological treatments...
- A fatigue clinic in a comprehensive cancer center: design and experiencesC P Escalante
Department of General Internal Medicine, Ambulatory Treatment and Emergency Care, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 92:1708-13. 2001..This article describes the general clinic design and operations and the preliminary analysis of the first 40 patients evaluated in the fatigue clinic...
- Neuropharmacological treatments for alcoholism: scientific basis and clinical findingsB A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas, Health Sciences Center at San Antonio 78212, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 149:327-44. 2000..The coming decade promises more powerful tools for characterizing drug effects on alcohol drinking, thereby closing the gap between animal models of addiction and the human condition...
- Effects of isradipine, a dihydropyridine-class calcium channel antagonist, on D-methamphetamine-induced cognitive and physiological changes in humansB A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78284 7792, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 22:504-12. 2000..Isradipine increased the false responding rate but was without significant effect on any other attentional task, or on reasoning ability, or performance. Isradipine does not appear to enhance cognitive function in healthy humans...
- Ondansetron for reduction of drinking among biologically predisposed alcoholic patients: A randomized controlled trialB A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, Mail Stop 7792, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
JAMA 284:963-71. 2000..Thus, individuals with early-onset alcoholism may be responsive to treatment with a selective serotonergic agent...