John P Higgins
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Energy beverages: content and safetyJohn P Higgins
Division of Cardiology, Lyndon B Johnson General Hospital, and Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine Institute, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX 77026 1967, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:1033-41. 2010..Evidence regarding the effects of EBs is summarized, and practical recommendations are made to help in answering the patient who asks, "Is it safe for me to drink an energy beverage when I exercise?"..
- Caffeine reduces myocardial blood flow during exerciseJohn P Higgins
Memorial Hermann Ironman Sports Medicine Institute, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston Electronic address
Am J Med 126:730.e1-8. 2013....
- Androgen abuse and increased cardiac riskJohn P Higgins
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX 77026, USA
South Med J 105:670-4. 2012..It is likely that chronic exposure to these agents can result in significant alterations in the cardiovascular system, and their safety has not been fully established...
- Sudden cardiac death in young athletes: preparticipation screening for underlying cardiovascular abnormalities and approaches to preventionJohn P Higgins
The University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX, USA
Phys Sportsmed 41:81-93. 2013..The general sentiment is that we need to more effectively identify athletes who are at risk for SCD, but how to do so using an efficient screening system and in a cost-effective manner have not been determined...
- Normal resting electrocardiographic variants in young athletesJohn P Higgins
Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
Phys Sportsmed 36:69-75. 2008..This review describes these normal variants. Keywords: normal variants; early repolarization; athlete's heart...
- Altitude and the heart: is going high safe for your cardiac patient?John P Higgins
Lyndon B Johnson General Hospital, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am Heart J 159:25-32. 2010..Kilimanjaro?"..