Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Adaptive amplification: an inducible chromosomal instability mechanismP J Hastings
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics Baylor College of Medicine One Baylor Plaza Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell 103:723-31. 2000..Instead, adaptive mutation and amplification are parallel routes of inducible genetic instability allowing rapid evolution under stress, and escape from growth inhibition...
- In pursuit of a molecular mechanism for adaptive gene amplificationP J Hastings
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Room T809 Mail Stop 225, Houston, TX 77030 3411, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 1:111-23. 2002..We explore possible molecular mechanisms of adaptive amplification in the bacterial system and note parallels to chromosomal instability in other systems...
- Antibiotic-induced lateral transfer of antibiotic resistanceP J Hastings
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1 Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030 3411, USA
Trends Microbiol 12:401-4. 2004..Several commonly used antibiotics induce the SOS response, potentially hastening genetic change and the evolution to resistance of pathogenic populations. The use of such antibiotics should be reconsidered...
- Adaptive amplification and point mutation are independent mechanisms: evidence for various stress-inducible mutation mechanismsP J Hastings
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
PLoS Biol 2:e399. 2004..We suggest that the availability of alternative pathways for genetic/evolutionary adaptation and clonal expansion under stress may be exploited during processes ranging from the evolution of drug resistance to cancer progression...
- A microhomology-mediated break-induced replication model for the origin of human copy number variationP J Hastings
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Genet 5:e1000327. 2009....
- Mechanisms of Adaptive AmplificationPhilip J Hastings; Fiscal Year: 2010....