D A Berry
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Failure of higher-dose paclitaxel to improve outcome in patients with metastatic breast cancer: cancer and leukemia group B trial 9342Eric P Winer
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, D1210, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:2061-8. 2004..Cancer and Leukemia Group B Protocol 9342 was initiated to determine the optimal dose of paclitaxel administered as a 3-hour infusion every 3 weeks to women with metastatic breast cancer...
- HER-2/neu and p53 expression versus tamoxifen resistance in estrogen receptor-positive, node-positive breast cancerD A Berry
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:3471-9. 2000..Tamoxifen assignment was not randomized-physician discretion was used for premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Trial protocol then specified assignment to postmenopausal women with ER-positive tumors, although not all took tamoxifen...
- High-dose versus standard chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer: comparison of Cancer and Leukemia Group B trials with data from the Autologous Blood and Marrow Transplant RegistryDonald A Berry
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:743-50. 2002..To assess survival of patients with metastatic breast cancer treated with high-dose chemotherapy (HDC) versus standard-dose chemotherapy (SDC)...
- Tumour response interpretation with new tumour response criteria vs the World Health Organisation criteria in patients with bone-only metastatic breast cancerT Hamaoka
Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Br J Cancer 102:651-7. 2010....
- Role of detection method in predicting breast cancer survival: analysis of randomized screening trialsYu Shen
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:1195-203. 2005..We also address whether method of detection is an independent prognostic factor in breast cancer...
- Estrogen-receptor status and outcomes of modern chemotherapy for patients with node-positive breast cancerDonald A Berry
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
JAMA 295:1658-67. 2006..Breast cancer estrogen-receptor (ER) status is useful in predicting benefit from endocrine therapy. It may also help predict which patients benefit from advances in adjuvant chemotherapy...
- Prognostic role of detection method and its relationship with tumor biomarkers in breast cancer: the university of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center experienceWenli Dong
Department of Biostatistics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:1096-103. 2008..To assess the effect of tumor detection method (screening versus symptom-based diagnosis) in predicting breast cancer survival and investigate how biological features of breast cancer are related to the tumor detection method...
- Nomograms to predict pathologic complete response and metastasis-free survival after preoperative chemotherapy for breast cancerRoman Rouzier
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:8331-9. 2005..To combine clinical variables associated with pathologic complete response (pCR) and distant metastasis-free survival (DMFS) after preoperative chemotherapy (PC) into a prediction nomogram...
- Natural history of more than 20 years of node-positive primary breast carcinoma treated with cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy: a study by the Cancer and Leukemia Group BRaymond B Weiss
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:1825-35. 2003....
- Randomized trial of dose-dense versus conventionally scheduled and sequential versus concurrent combination chemotherapy as postoperative adjuvant treatment of node-positive primary breast cancer: first report of Intergroup Trial C9741/Cancer and LeukemiaMarc L Citron
ProHEALTH Care Associates, LLP, 2800 Marcus Ave, Lake Success, NY 11042, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:1431-9. 2003....
- Improved outcomes from adding sequential Paclitaxel but not from escalating Doxorubicin dose in an adjuvant chemotherapy regimen for patients with node-positive primary breast cancerI Craig Henderson
University of California at San Francisco, San, Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:976-83. 2003..This study was designed to determine whether increasing the dose of doxorubicin in or adding paclitaxel to a standard adjuvant chemotherapy regimen for breast cancer patients would prolong time to recurrence and survival...
- Toxicity of older and younger patients treated with adjuvant chemotherapy for node-positive breast cancer: the Cancer and Leukemia Group B ExperienceHyman B Muss
University of Vermont, Vermont Cancer Center, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:3699-704. 2007..We compared toxicity of older and younger patients in three randomized trials of adjuvant chemotherapy...
- HER2 and response to paclitaxel in node-positive breast cancerDaniel F Hayes
Breast Oncology Program, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1496-506. 2007..We hypothesized that HER2 positivity predicts a benefit from adjuvant doxorubicin doses above standard levels, from the addition of paclitaxel after adjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide, or from both...
- Limited family structure and breast cancer riskEdwin S Iversen
JAMA 298:2007; author reply 2007-8. 2007
- Validity of models for predicting BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutationsGiovanni Parmigiani
The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2011, USA
Ann Intern Med 147:441-50. 2007..At least 7 models for estimating the probabilities of having a mutation are used widely in clinical and scientific activities; however, the merits and limitations of these models are not fully understood...
- Dose-escalation of filgrastim does not improve efficacy: clinical tolerability and long-term follow-up on CALGB study 9141 adjuvant chemotherapy for node-positive breast cancer patients using dose-intensified doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide followed by Minetta C Liu
Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical Center, 3800 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007 2198, USA
Cancer Treat Rev 34:223-30. 2008..A secondary aim was to assess if a higher dose (10 mcg/kg/day) of G-CSF is more efficacious than the conventional dose (5 mcg/kg/day) in this setting...
- BRCAPRO validation, sensitivity of genetic testing of BRCA1/BRCA2, and prevalence of other breast cancer susceptibility genesDonald A Berry
Department of Biostatistics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:2701-12. 2002....
- Influence of activation state of ErbB-2 (HER-2) on response to adjuvant cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and fluorouracil for stage II, node-positive breast cancer: study 8541 from the Cancer and Leukemia Group BMichael P Digiovanna
Yale University School of Medicine, Section of Medical Oncology, 333 Cedar St, Room WWW 217, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2364-72. 2008....
- Racial differences in clinical outcomes from metastatic breast cancer: a pooled analysis of CALGB 9342 and 9840--Cancer and Leukemia Group BBlase N Polite
The University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 South Maryland Ave, MC 2115, Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2659-65. 2008..This study examines racial differences in clinical outcomes in the setting of two large cooperative group randomized clinical trials...
- Novel intraoperative molecular test for sentinel lymph node metastases in patients with early-stage breast cancerThomas B Julian
Allegheny Breast Care Center, Allegheny General Hospital, 320 E North Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:3338-45. 2008..We present the results from a large, prospective evaluation of the first rapid molecular SLN test, the Breast Lymph Node (BLN) Assay...
- A parallel phase I/II clinical trial design for combination therapiesXuelin Huang
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biometrics 63:429-36. 2007..The simulations show that the proposed design saves sample size, has better power, and efficiently assigns more patients to doses with higher efficacy levels...
- Breast cancer trends: a marriage between clinical trial evidence and epidemiologyDonald A Berry
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1139-41. 2007
- Biomarker studies and other difficult inferential problems: statistical caveatsDonald A Berry
The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Semin Oncol 34:S17-22. 2007..A related concern is subset analysis. I give a statistical argument that estrogen-receptor status is predictive of the benefits of chemotherapy in node-positive breast cancer...
- Adaptive randomized study of idarubicin and cytarabine versus troxacitabine and cytarabine versus troxacitabine and idarubicin in untreated patients 50 years or older with adverse karyotype acute myeloid leukemiaFrancis J Giles
Department of Leukemia, Box 428, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:1722-7. 2003..A prospective, randomized study was conducted in patients aged 50 years or older with untreated, adverse karyotype, acute myeloid leukemia (AML) to assess troxacitabine-based regimes as induction therapy...
- Comparison of HER2 status by fluorescence in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry to predict benefit from dose escalation of adjuvant doxorubicin-based therapy in node-positive breast cancer patientsLynn G Dressler
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 7295, Mason Farm Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7295, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:4287-97. 2005....
- Determining joint carrier probabilities of cancer-causing genes using Markov chain Monte Carlo methodsSwati Biswas
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genet Epidemiol 29:141-54. 2005..Such an approach will be even more important as additional information about the genetics of various cancers becomes available...
- Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancerDonald A Berry
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1784-92. 2005..We used modeling techniques to assess the relative and absolute contributions of screening mammography and adjuvant treatment to the reduction in breast-cancer mortality in the United States from 1975 to 2000...
- Characterization of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in a large United States sampleSining Chen
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:863-71. 2006..Existing studies have focused on Ashkenazi Jews (AJ) or on families from outside the United States. In this article, we consider the US population using the largest US-based cohort to date of both AJ and non-AJ families...
- Association of angiogenesis and disease outcome in node-positive breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and fluorouracil: a Cancer and Leukemia Group B correlative science study from protocols 8541/8869Anthony J Guidi
North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:732-42. 2002..However, the utility of this assay in node-positive patients treated with adjuvant cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and fluorouracil (CAF) has not been well studied...
- The decrease in breast-cancer incidence in 2003 in the United StatesPeter M Ravdin
Department of Biostatistics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1670-4. 2007..The contributions of other causes to the change in incidence seem less likely to have played a major role but have not been excluded...
- Survival without common toxicity criteria grade 3/4 toxicity for pemetrexed compared with docetaxel in previously treated patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a risk-benefit analysisJean Louis Pujol
Institut Universitaire de Recherche Clinique, Montpellier, Cedex, France
J Thorac Oncol 2:397-401. 2007....
- MDM2 promotes cell motility and invasiveness by regulating E-cadherin degradationJer Yen Yang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 108, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:7269-82. 2006..This novel MDM2-regulated pathway is likely to play a biologically relevant role in cancer metastasis...