HECTOR G BALCAZAR
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Improving heart healthy lifestyles among participants in a salud para su corazón promotores model: the mexican pilot study, 2009-2012Hector Balcazar
University of Texas, Health Science Center at Houston School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, 1101 N Campbell, CH 400, El Paso, TX 79902 E mail
Prev Chronic Dis 12:E34. 2015..The objective of this study was to implement cardiovascular health promotion and disease prevention activities of the Salud para su Corazón model in a high-risk, impoverished, urban community in Mexico City...
- Perceptions of Community Health Workers (CHWs/PS) in the U.S.-Mexico border HEART CVD studyHECTOR G BALCAZAR
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, El Paso Regional Campus, 1101 N Campbell CH 410, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 11:1873-84. 2014..Future research is needed to evaluate if CHW/PS can facilitate utilization of available community resources such as recreational facilities among Hispanic border residents at risk for CVD. ..
- Correlates of tobacco cessation counseling among Hispanic physicians in the US: a cross-sectional survey studyFrancisco G Soto Mas
College of Education, University of Texas at El Paso, Texas, USA
BMC Public Health 8:5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to explore the correlates of tobacco cessation counseling practices among Hispanic physicians in the US...
- A promotores de salud intervention to reduce cardiovascular disease risk in a high-risk Hispanic border population, 2005-2008HECTOR G BALCAZAR
University of Texas at Houston Health Science Center, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, 1100 N Stanton St, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A28. 2010..The objective of Project HEART (Health Education Awareness Research Team) was to promote behavior changes to decrease CVD risk factors in a high-risk Hispanic border population...
- A randomized community intervention to improve hypertension control among Mexican Americans: using the promotoras de salud community outreach modelHECTOR G BALCAZAR
University of Texas, Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 20:1079-94. 2009..Perceived benefits, and two heart-healthy behaviors (salt and sodium, and cholesterol and fat) were shown to be statistically significantly different between the intervention and control groups...
- Use of community-based participatory research to disseminate baseline results from a cardiovascular disease randomized community trial for Mexican Americans living in a U.S.-Mexico border communityHector Balcazar
University of Texas, USA
Educ Health (Abingdon) 22:279. 2009..This article describes the development of a community-based participatory research (CBPR) process conducted in the context of a randomized community health education trial utilizing community health workers (CHWs)...
- Community health workers can be a public health force for change in the United States: three actions for a new paradigmHector Balcazar
Health Science Center Houston, El Paso Regional Campus, University of Texas School of Public Health, El Paso, 79968, USA
Am J Public Health 101:2199-203. 2011..We also urge that CHWs be integrated into "community health teams" as part of "medical homes" and that evaluation frameworks be improved to better measure community wellness and systems change...
- An ecological model using promotores de salud to prevent cardiovascular disease on the US-Mexico border: the HEART projectHector Balcazar
University of Texas, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, 500 West University CH 400, El Paso, Texas 79968, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 9:E35. 2012..The objectives of our intervention were to reduce cardiovascular disease risk factors in Hispanics living in 2 low-income areas of El Paso, Texas, and to engage the community in a physical activity and nutrition intervention...
- A promotora de salud model for addressing cardiovascular disease risk factors in the US-Mexico border regionHector Balcazar
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, 1100 N Stanton St, Ste 100, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 6:A02. 2009....
- Salud Para Su Corazon (health for your heart) community health worker model: community and clinical approaches for addressing cardiovascular disease risk reduction in Hispanics/LatinosH Balcazar
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, El Paso, TX, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 34:362-72. 2011..A description is presented of a sustainability framework for the SPSC family of programs. Finally, implications are summarized for utilizing the SPSC CHW/PS model to inform ambulatory care management and policy...
- Critical reflections on the role of CBPR within an RCT community health worker prevention interventionE Lee Rosenthal
Institute for Health Policy Dr Rosenthal, UTHealth School of Public Health Dr Balcazar and Ms Wise, El Paso, Texas Department of Physical Therapy and Athletic Training, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff Dr De Heer ACHS Program, El Paso Community College, El Paso, Texas Ms Flores and Centro San Vicente Clinic, El Paso, Texas Ms Aguirre
J Ambul Care Manage 37:241-9. 2014..The purpose of this article is 2-fold. First, it describes the process of merging the CBPR approach within an RCT framework and, second, it describes lessons learned in conducting CBPR-RCT research initiatives. ..