- Validation of the Brief Pain Inventory for chronic nonmalignant painGabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology and Mental Health Care Line Substance Dependence Treatment Program, Houston VA Medical Center, and Department of Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, TX 77030, USA
J Pain 5:133-7. 2004..This provides an important and widely used diagnostic tool for the clinician treating chronic pain...
- Ethnicity, control appraisal, coping, and adjustment to chronic pain among black and white AmericansGabriel Tan
Houston VA Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Pain Med 6:18-28. 2005..We also examined the association between these factors (i.e., appraisals, beliefs, coping) and patient perception or subjective experience of their functioning in each ethnic group...
- Hypnosis treatment for chronic low back painGabriel Tan
Anesthesiology Pain Program, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Clin Exp Hypn 58:53-68. 2010..These findings need to be replicated and confirmed in a larger clinical trial, which could also assess the long-term effects of this treatment...
- Are patient ratings of chronic pain services related to treatment outcome?Gabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology 145, Michael E DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 43:451-60. 2006..The findings suggest that pain intensity, pain interference, and disability are important outcome dimensions of pain-management programs...
- Efficacy of selected complementary and alternative medicine interventions for chronic painGabriel Tan
Anesthesiology Care Line 145, Department of Anesthesiology, Michael E DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center VAMC, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 44:195-222. 2007..The article concludes with recommendations to pain practitioners...
- Using cranial electrotherapy stimulation to treat pain associated with spinal cord injuryGabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology 145, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 43:461-74. 2006..6 pre- vs postintervention, p = 0.004) in contrast to the nonsignificant decrease in the sham CES group (-4.7 pre- vs postintervention, p = 0.24). These results suggest that CES can effectively treat chronic pain in persons with SCI...
- Validating the use of two-item measures of pain beliefs and coping strategies for a veteran populationGabriel Tan
Chronic Pain Program, Anesthesiology, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Pain 7:252-60. 2006..These measures could be used clinically for initial screening purposes, as well as for treatment monitoring...
- Hypnosis and irritable bowel syndrome: a review of efficacy and mechanism of actionGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Clin Hypn 47:161-78. 2005..In reviewing the research on the mechanism of action as to how hypnosis works to reduce symptoms of IBS, some evidence was found to support both physiological and psychological mechanisms of action...
- Meta-analysis of EEG biofeedback in treating epilepsyGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin EEG Neurosci 40:173-9. 2009..This finding is especially noteworthy given the patient group, individuals who had been unable to control their seizures with medical treatment...
- Complementary and alternative medicine approaches to pain managementGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Psychol 62:1419-31. 2006..g., cognitive-behavioral therapy). Because of their brevity, these treatments also can be offered alone to patients who may not have the resources or time to participate in more time-intensive treatment...
- Further validation of the chronic pain coping inventoryGabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology and Mental Health Care Line, VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Pain 6:29-40. 2005..The CPCI provides an important clinical and research tool for the assessment of behavioral pain coping strategies that might have an impact on patient outcomes...
- Associations among pain, PTSD, mTBI, and heart rate variability in veterans of Operation Enduring and Iraqi Freedom: a pilot studyGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pain Med 10:1237-45. 2009..The objective of the study was to determine if there is dysregulated autonomic nervous system activity as manifested by depressed heart rate variability (HRV) among veterans of Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF)...
- Feasibility of using cranial electrotherapy stimulation for pain in persons with Parkinson's diseaseDiana H Rintala
Research Service, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Parkinsons Dis 2010:569154. 2010..A larger study is needed to determine the characteristics of persons who may experience meaningful pain reduction with CES. Guidelines for future studies are provided...
- Study descriptions of healing touch with veterans experiencing chronic neuropathic pain from spinal cord injuryDiane Wind Wardell
The University of Texas Houston, Health Science Center, School of Nursing, Houston, TX, USA
Explore (NY) 4:187-95. 2008..The practice of HT is based on the premise that the energy field has the ability to provide valuable information about the person's physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual condition and can influence the dense matter of physical form...
- A pilot study of healing touch and progressive relaxation for chronic neuropathic pain in persons with spinal cord injuryDiane Wind Wardell
University of Texas Houston Hhealthcare system, USA
J Holist Nurs 24:231-40; discussion 241-4. 2006..Participants reported various experiences with HT sessions indicating that it may have benefit in the complex response to chronic pain...
- Anger management style and associations with self-efficacy and pain in male veteransElizabeth R Lombardo
Dallas Mind Body Medicine, Dallas, Texas 75205, USA
J Pain 6:765-70. 2005..PERSPECTIVE: Maladaptive anger management is associated with pain intensity and self-efficacy beliefs. Additional research is needed to explore the interaction of pain and self-efficacy and its impact on anger management...